Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Determining cause of death  (Read 8494 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Determining cause of death
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

So my super legendary miner/ first 7 went missing for a week. I start looking around the map and I find his corpse in my refuse stockpile.

Is their a way to determined how he died?

I don't think it was a vampire no message and he wouldn't be sleeping in the refuse pile.

Also there are no dangerous creatures around, he has not had a mining job in awhile so no accidents, and he never was hurt so no bled to death or infection.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Determining cause of death
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

Is the body whole?

Any sign of a struggle?

Any blood?

Have you been attacked by a syndrome bearing creature?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »

So my super legendary miner/ first 7 went missing for a week. I start looking around the map and I find his corpse in my refuse stockpile.

I don't think it was a vampire no message and he wouldn't be sleeping in the refuse pile.

Also there are no dangerous creatures around, he has not had a mining job in awhile so no accidents, and he never was hurt so no bled to death or infection.

Mine went missing, turned out he'd dug himself into a channel he couldn't get out of and apparently starved (with no message). So I doubt it's anything sinister if the body isn't all mutilated: miners tend to get themselves maimed or killed eventually. They seem to be clumsy by nature, even the best ones.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:23 pm »

Mine went missing, turned out he'd dug himself into a channel he couldn't get out of and apparently starved (with no message). So I doubt it's anything sinister if the body isn't all mutilated: miners tend to get themselves maimed or killed eventually. They seem to be clumsy by nature, even the best ones.
Yes, other then the obvious though, it'd very surprising if he died on a food stockpile (he could have been going to a stockpile, I lost m first baron that way, was starving a dehydrated, got released, and died right as they got to the well.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »

The latest version of DFHack has a command for determining the cause of death, but I don't recall the name
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:03:00 am »

Don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure you can engrave a slab, build it, then use (t) I think to view the description. That should tell you, unless it will just say "went missing in year X"

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

It's likely that he took an unlucky one-z-level fall and landed on his head. Check your combat reports, see if his name's there. The report will probably have been erased by now, but the record of the report's having existed might still be there. A fall or an attack from wildlife or crowded hooved animals will leave a combat report.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:53:36 am »

Speaking of which, just grep the gamelog for his name. Or search, but I prefer grep.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:53:13 am »

1: dwarf hack deathcause.

2: check legends mode in a copied save.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability