Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Does anyone else feel really good when they nurse a dwarf back to health?  (Read 4412 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile

I love it, I'll have some enemies, send in my military. They fight bravely and vanquish our enemies, but some don't make it without some wounds. So my dwarfs drag them to my hospital work on him around the clock. Soon he is in the training room sparring again.

I don't know it tickles what is left of my humanity when this happens.

Anyone else experience this?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure that you aren't confusing the feeling to with "yes, now I can send him out to be beaten up again"?

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile

Are you sure that you aren't confusing the feeling to with "yes, now I can send him out to be beaten up again"?

Well I only care about the military, my army of fishers I don't really care about, I hope they all die. My military do so much for me.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I only care about the military, my army of fishers I don't really care about, I hope they all die. My military do so much for me.

Yea, haulers are a renevable resource, military cost much more management.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Since I don't think I ever HAVE nursed a dwarf back to health, I can't really say, but it does sound nice.
One time a farmer got in a scrap with a giant panda, but she ended up surviving. She lost a hand, but other then that I felt good that she was still alive.

See signature.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Reminds me of one of my Dwarves. He got his leg severely mangled by a bolt, and spent the rest of his days sitting on a throne by the gardens, drinking and admiring statues, no doubt playing Dwarven checkers with his friends ;_;

Nowadays I do my best, but my doctors don't always feel the same way. So that sympathy turns into anger, and of course there's always the were-creature room. Break in case of healthcare failing.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always strive to save my dwarves. It's awesome to see Bomrek the Mystic Blot go off to collect a new scar after being pin cushioned by goblins just a few seasons ago. I feel as though I've failed if I don't at least try to get a dwarf medical attention. Who needs humanity? Here at Oystercloister we have enough dwarfity to go around.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile

.... None have ever survived.... yeeeeeaaaaaah.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In general my fishers are the first to get thrown off in the danger room. Since they tend to wander off and get killed by random beasts, why not give them a purpose and a chance.

I'd run out of dwarves if it were not for hospitals and soap.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile

I remember my first medical success. One of my dwarves lost a leg after a cave-in with badly designating my moat, and he crawled all the way to the hospital while my doctor was attending a party. Eventually the party ended, and the doctor decided to treat my dwarf, and after a long time diagnosing, and finding out "His leg doesnt work" due to there being no leg, he got a crutch and gave it to the dorf. "Walk it off".

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else feel really good when they nurse a dwarf back to health?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Sadly I've never had the neccessary medical expertise to really 'fix' a truly maimed Dwarf.

So instead I usually seek to put the Dwarf's mind to rest by mangling his assailant in exceedingly cruel and unusual ways. Case in point: the Goblin who killed my finest axedwarf (admittedly still a rookie!) barely managed to crawl back to his Goblin Stronghold with 3 broken limbs, major lacerations and a snapped spine.

I have to say I get attached to some Dwarves though. I had a legendary miner who had a full bank of endearing personality traits such as "likes to help others." She never complained and worked tirelessly. At one point she was stranded without food or beer for a couple of weeks (surviving on vermin and water) and when she finally escaped she went to see the mayor...and cried on his shoulder instead of shouting at him or tantruming!

Unfortunately she went missing after digging a deep channel, so I engraved a special memorial to her in the dining room of the fortress. The one competent charming dwarf in a fortress full of cretins, snatched too soon :(

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »

I try to take care of my dwarves, so it's rare that one actually gets into the hospital, but I always try to make a good one so they have better chances.  It gives me a warm feeling to see the little smiley face leave the hospital and go about its business.

About the proudest I've been was when a horde of troglodytes attacked my mod-race.  Since they're not as strong as dwarves, there were several causualities and a lot of broken limbs - my expedition leader actually got all four limbs and her tail shattered.

My doctor, despite being miserable from losing his lover and several friends in the attack, faithfully worked on all six hospital patients until all were back on their feet.  He even got the expedition leader back on her feet in time to meet with the liason - I can't imagine the picture she made, wielding a crutch and with stitches and casts on all limbs and most extremities.  "Yep, all's good here, send more migrants!"  Still, it made me happy to see them all on their feet.

And then I deleted the save.   :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:22 pm »

I so rarely manage to get a dwarf back to health in a newer fort that any instance of it is a happy occasion. They mostly die from starvation.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »

I don't, because it never happens to me. They just kinda die, every time.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

I just love how they treat patients..

Nurse      - "Doctor, another one of those idiot wrestlers ran into a squad of goblin archers, survived though, go check him out."
Diagnoser - "K, Step back and watch the magic happen"
-bellyflops on patient-
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.
Pages: [1] 2 3