Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does anyone else feel really good when they nurse a dwarf back to health?  (Read 4405 times)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else feel really good when they nurse a dwarf back to health?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:12 pm »

So far, I only end up with coma patients. My military tends to flat out avoid going to the hospital and usually go right back to training after sustaining injuries. Everyone else just enters a coma. Sometimes I get lucky and its the mayor.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 10:44:07 pm »

I do enjoy seeing my dwarves running around in a drunken stupor again after an accident that left them looking more like a pile of raw hamburger than a dwarf.

My medical staff is usually pretty incompetent in terms of skills, but because they have nothing else to do with their lives (I forbid them to haul, or hold any other labors, so all they can do is socialize while they wait for someone to treat, and they usually don't socialize TOO hard compared to some of the other workers.) they usually get the job done in good time, and the dwarves are as healthy as you can expect them to be after the ordeal. I also make sure we have a fresh water source available for them, which helps avoid infections.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »

One of my legendary miners got his lower right arm, right elbow, and right ear hurt during an intentional cave-in, and I made sure the doctor patched it well. He had a cast and was back to mining in a couple weeks, I'm happy to say. Not so happy about him drowning in lava just as my fort was about to fall. (Unknowing to me. (The fort falling part.))

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 01:18:49 am »

I keep plenty of soap and clean water around (most of the time...) and enable all medical jobs on everyone, so I get a nice little cloud of activity every time more than one patient at a time comes in. If there really is no-one available and I can't stop the main time sink by using the orders screen, I make a burrow over the hospital and its supplies and force everyone there via civilian alert.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:09 am »

I love hospitals, but I really have to watch those idiots now that adamantine production is chugging, because they really do seek that shit out to suture everything.

Glaive

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PREFSTRING:cheerful demeanor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 04:12:54 am »

One time, I had a couple of miners cause a small cave-in near the surface on accident.  The one closer to the billowing cloud only got knocked unconscious, while the one farther away wound up with a bunch of broken bones and some bleeding.  The first miner woke up a little while later and hauled his injured friend over to the hospital, 10 z-levels below ground.  Over the course of about a year in-game, I kept a close watch on the dwarf as he slowly recovered.  The miner dwarf that had brought him to rest in the hospital originally was almost always the one to bring him food and water whenever he needed it.

At one point, he had come down with infections to a couple of body parts.  I thought he was done for, because he was showing up as pale.  But apparently he was made of some really tough stuff, because he fought through the infections and eventually healed completely.  Just seeing him walking out of the hospital and back to work felt great, especially after nearly losing his legendary mining skills to infection.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 04:36:16 am »

Legendary crutchwalker, always first in fight. It is spiritrising.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:46 am »

A great axedwarf of mine bravely charged a goblin crossbow squad, killing half of them before he finally took a nasty bolt to his belly.  He was the fastest dwarf in his squad, and so arrived first to the glory and danger.  When he went down, the rest of the squad caught up and finished the job, saving his life.  He was brought back to the hospital where he was treated for a broken arm (only made him angry) shattered leg (healed up fine) and his guts recovered.  The bolt however had done its deadly work though, and he had suffered a spinal injury which is beyond dwarven medicine.

He healed up from all his injuries, and looked fit as a fiddle...except that his Lower Spine is marked blue, and he has "Lost the ability to Stand".  He now crawls around the fortress, and is too slow for military duties, or even for hauling (it was painful to watch him attempt to carry a heavy ammo bin to pick up spare bolts).  I've relieved him of all hauling duties and he now hangs out around the dining hall feeling useless. :(

Nerve damage to great warriors is such great sadness.

Reminds me of a GoombaGeek classic...

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 06:21:23 am »

Despite my best attempts at keeping my dwarves(or antmen, toads, koopas, or other modded civ) alive, the doctors I receive are all... incompetent, to put it the nicest way possible. (Except antwoman doctors/nurses. Just wish chitin wasn't so hard to work with.)

Trying to kill us is closer to the truth. Or maybe total idiots. Both. It has to be both.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:03 am »

I've relieved him of all hauling duties and he now hangs out around the dining hall feeling useless. :(

At least he doesn't have five severed nerves in all four limbs (thank you random copper-wielding goblin pikeman). Since he still has use of his arms, you could make him the leader of his own squad and give him a sparring partner to train up. Then if everything goes horribly wrong and your military gets wiped out, you have at least one skilled dwarf to restart the military machine. It also gives him something to do.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 08:31:20 am »

So far in my latest fort my military dwarves who have seen battle have either been killed completely or have gotten through completely unscathed. I've hardly had anything inbetween.

My only injured war hero recovered and ended up being a vampire, killing a master blacksmith and legendary miner. I should have been suspicious when all he wanted to do was bite the goblins he was fighting and shake them around by their heads...

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:30 am »

My military is full of paraplejic and maimed dwarfs, all of them in perfect combat shape thaks to the magical dwarven critches. Actually,
i think that losing a leg is good for a warrior. The crutch walking skill theytrains very fast and makes them stronger, and as a bonus is
much harder to make them lost foot in battle.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:54 am »

Oh, please. My macedwarf got a severed nerve in one of his arms and he was barely even hindered. Hell, he got that same arm bitten off by a cave crocodile soon after and I don't even think he cared.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:28 am »

That's lucky. Had the nerveless hand and the missing hand been different ones, you'd have a dwarf unable to equip himself or do anything but bite and kick.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 10:57:42 am »

In my last fort, a channeling incident caused by some carelessness on my part killed one of my miners and seriously injured another. The care he received was exceptional: evaluated, cleaned, 2 compound fractures repaired (upper and lower left arm), 6 sutures, 7 broken bones set, 8 dressings, placed in traction, and finally 6 splints.

For a time, I didn't think he would make it. He went from faint to pale, and it seemed like the end was coming. When his condition went back to faint, it was glorious.

He soon made a full recovery. (Being "incredibly quick to heal, incredibly tough and rarely sick" probably helped somewhat.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3