Poll

How do you feel?

Sad to See It Go
- 4 (80%)
Good Riddance!
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Migrate II: Planet M-5 - Day 1 - First Wave - Three Slots Open  (Read 14629 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Migrate II: Planet M-5 - Day 1 - First Wave - Three Slots Open
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:33 pm »

((if i managed to locate the pod does it have a jacking port?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »

"Astroengineer man. Was there a common combination for cryo boxes around 100 years ago?"
He'll have to roll to remember that.
((Then I'll take that chance. Take it and run with it. Maybe. If there's a lot of 'er's and 'uh's, I'll probably go against it. Either way, this thing must be opened! Because nothng bad ever came of opening long-sealed tombs. Nope.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »

"Astroengineer man. Was there a common combination for cryo boxes around 100 years ago?"
He'll have to roll to remember that.
((Then I'll take that chance. Take it and run with it. Maybe. If there's a lot of 'er's and 'uh's, I'll probably go against it. Either way, this thing must be opened! Because nothng bad ever came of opening long-sealed tombs. Nope.))
((Nothing bad ever came of reading a book...))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:16 am »

((if i managed to locate the pod does it have a jacking port?))
Nope. Any complicated systems are stripped from the pod before the drop for reuse. Medical systems and electronics are rather expensive.
The only machinery on your pod is the door release, and the anti-grav unit on the underside. Both burn out after a single-use, since you usually send pods to places that you don't want to have to land on.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:16 am »

so what your saying is the most complicated piece of machinery on this planet aside from the rover and MRU is my hover-crate?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:50:18 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2012, 03:01:37 am »

so what your saying is the most complicated piece of machinery on this planet aside from the rover and MRU is my hover-crate?
Actually, your cranial implants house a rudimentary AI, which means that your skulls are the containers of the most valuable pieces of equipment on the planet. Which is ironic, since they're attached to puny, fragile sacks of meat. Go figure.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:22 am »

((if i were to say.. get someone to salvage the anti gravity modules from our drop pods.. would they be able to be repaired in any way?))

((if they are powerful enough to slow the pods in re-entry once they gotta be powerful enough to make cargo transport devices with some modifications.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2012, 03:52:42 am »

((if i were to say.. get someone to salvage the anti gravity modules from our drop pods.. would they be able to be repaired in any way?))

((if they are powerful enough to slow the pods in re-entry once they gotta be powerful enough to make cargo transport devices with some modifications.))
It would require a serious overhaul in order to function effectively and on a regular basis for transporting cargo. You would need to rig up a power supply and replace all of the circuitry and wiring entirely, then you would have to program the controls yourself and attach the completed device to the intended recipient correctly. All of this would naturally be makeshift and highly prone to malfunction as a result. If you managed to succeed then you would have something very useful indeed, although why you would need something to float, or what you intend to float in the first place is beyond me. As you've said, those grav-units are powerful, and also very large and extremely heavy. It would likely take three or four of you just to pick it up, plus a sled if you had to move the entire pod. It would likely be a lot simpler and cheaper if you just purchased a vehicle instead, or used the one that I gave you.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2012, 04:01:00 am »

although why you would need something to float, or what you intend to float in the first place is beyond me.

1 word... hoverbikes

also the anti-gravity modules themselves are in fact something like 4 directional engines aren't they? if so you could scrap 3 for parts and use them to fix the fourth leaving yourself with a 1/4 sized engine and lower thrust capacity... yes you would still need to get several people and/or a sled to move it but once you have two operational modules you can finish scrapping the pods for power supplies, chairs and structural components with which to make the bike... you said to think like an astronaut and astronauts love recycling :D

oh and for the controls i have a crate full of robotic components... gotta be a control interface in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:06:53 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:24 am »

I never said they were four directional, and I'd very much like to know what made you assume that. I doubt hover-bikes would be too terribly useful in the jungle besides. Not to mention theres a huge difference between constructing a platform that simply floats and building a vehicle that can fly, although your astro-engineer might have the know how to make it happen. It all depends on how useful your team really considers this project to be.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:14:19 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:41 am »

I never said they were four directional, and I'd very much like to know what made you assume that. I doubt hover-bikes would be too terribly useful in the jungle besides. Not to mention theres a huge difference between constructing a platform that simply floats and building a vehicle that can fly, although your astro-engineer would likely have the know how. It all depends on how useful your team really considers this project to be.

it was more the thought that they needed to be able to course correct that gave me the impression they would need to be directional but it could be just as easily done with thrusters. 1 big engine is feasible with a sophisticated guidance program i suppose. cant blame a guy for hoping :P

as for use in the jungle a hoverbike or hoversled  depending on how its built would be a lot more feasible than the rover... there's just too much stuff in a jungle that can get in the way of wheel based transportation.

also the way i envisioned it it doesnt fly at all... it just hovers at say 3-4 feet off the ground and when you push buttons it rotates the grav pods slightly causing you to float off in the desired direction.

is it just me or does this one topic seem to justify the use of an OOC thread or PM'ing?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:24:14 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2012, 04:48:15 am »

The original thread has its own OOC thread, and this one will too. I was waiting for a time when the players started to ask me questions before starting one, and it seems that time has come. Give me a moment.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2012, 05:08:35 am »

Out of Character Thread
The OP has likewise been updated with the link. I would appreciate it if all of the players could PTW it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »

I'm not sure about the codes, but I believe there was a standard code back in the days. Why do you want to know?

Get out of pod once rescued, try to get stuff. The robot should be able to carry it. Try to remember the code, if there was any.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:42:20 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »

Waiting on Xantalos and crazysheep.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18