Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You own an interstellar mercenary company! (Sequel/Reboot)  (Read 2185 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
You own an interstellar mercenary company! (Sequel/Reboot)
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:06:25 pm »

The year is 3570.

Two years since you first signed your contract with the Highlander Confederation as they wage their desperate war against the gigantic Kapell Empire, and the fellow sister-nation the Sol Republic.

Two years of long fighting. The Highlanders used to be the bottom of the barrel, about to be wiped out. Desperate, they used their natural valuable resources, like Gold, and Silver, to purchase as many mercenary units as they can, to research technologies.

And with these new assets, they have been reborn. They now hold a place in the galaxy, all thanks to you, and others like you: Mercenaries.

Currently, the Highlander Confederation has mounted a strong offensive on the Sol Republic, with the Kapell Empire making small advances on both. The Kapell empire still outnumbers both factions in raw manpower, but the Sol Republic has the upper hand in ship and electronic warfare, and the Highlanders are famous for their heavily-armored vehicles and blood-thirsty, if not savage soldiers.

War has changed quite a bit in the past couple years, new technologies having been introduced, new ways of fighting.

There are several types of vehicles:
Tanks: there are two varieties, Hovering, and Tracked. Hovering tanks are usually lighter tanks, made for hit and run.

APCs: Most are tracked or wheeled, and are used to transport personnel across the ground, through areas a Dropship cannot reach.

Hovercraft, (They fill the role of 20th century Attack Helicopters and Jets in the same package, and vary differently.)

Dropships, (They fill the role of 20th century Transport helicopters.)

Artillery, which can be mobile, and non-mobile. Non-mobile artillery are usually much, much larger than their mobile counterparts.

Walker-Craft, which are a new experimental craft used exclusively by the Highlanders, they are essentially Walking Tanks.

There are also OAC, or Out of Atmosphere craft, which carry around everything needed to stage a war on a planet.
There are several types:

Transport Ship: These ships are very varied in size, and usually are the ships transporting goods, men, or materials to the planets or orbital outposts. (50-3000 crew.)

Fighter: Your standard Fighter class ship. Can enter atmosphere and act as CAS. (Close air support.)

Bomber: Standard Bomber class ship. Can enter atmosphere and act as CAS.

Frigate: The smallest ship that is manned by more than five people at a time. Usually makes up a big bulk of a fleet, and can be used for nearly any job. (10-20 crew.)

Destroyer: Ship that is dedicated to being a Frigate/Bomber/Fighter killer, with weapons that are more high-explosive and easier to lead on the faster ships. (6-15 crew.)

Corvette: A step above the Frigate, with about three times the amount of crew. Carries heavier weapons, and bigger armor. (40-60 crew.)

Cruiser: A couple steps above the Corvette, is usually assigned to support Dreadnoughts. They carry very heavy weapons, and large amounts of armor. (100-200 crew.)

Dreadnought: The Kapell empire is the only nation that has these in the "Dozens" category. They are usually the heaviest ships in an engagement, and can stomp on nearly anything. (300-600 crew.)

Carrier: These ships carry Fighters and Bombers, and really do nothing else. They have a similar weapons load out to a Destroyer, however, just a more minimal supply. (300-500 crew.)

Capital/Mothership: If you see one of these, pray to god you are in a fellow Mothership, for you will not live long. These ships are miles long, and carry the heaviest weapons known to man. They are essentially planet-destroyers. (1000-2000 crew.)

There are also different types of weapons, suited to different roles.
Laser/Ion-based Projection Weapons are used for anti-armor roles, mounted on heavier vehicles and Hovercraft.

Gauss/Ballistic weapons are used for anti-infantry and minor anti-armor roles. Used with Hovercraft and most vehicles. Small arms fit under this role.

Missile-based weapon systems, are usually mounted on Hovercraft or long-range artillery. Is great against anything, depending on warhead.

I will add more information to the list as the game goes on, making it easier to touch up on the basics, for newcomers to get involved, and base the game off a solid tactical groundwork.

----------------------------------------------

Now that I'm done talking out of my ass, to all the old-comers, welcome back to the reboot of YOAIMC, (You own an interstellar mercenary company,) and to newcomers, welcome to the crew.

I abandoned the old thread, because I felt it was not based on any groundwork at all, and it became confusing at times for me. I've decided that while a good story is nice, I can't continue one for long without some groundwork, and since this is a game, with you controlling it, I need to set a few rules for myself to follow.

This takes place two years after the initial installment, and if you are too lazy to read the introduction, Highlanders have survived a mass wave from the Kapell empire. You are a Highlander Mercenary, in charge of a company of Mercenaries, to go kick some ass.

Oorah?
----------------------------------------------

The Highlanders hold you in high regard, and have allowed you to make a choice on where to deploy your company. They are making a heavy push into Sol territory, but are also making various advances into Kapellan territory.

Attacking Kapellan territory will not be nearly as dangerous, but not nearly as rewarding. Attacking the Sol territory with the invasion fleet will definitely be dangerous, but more rewarding, also.
I need to put something interesting here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You own an interstellar mercenary company! (Sequel/Reboot)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:10:01 pm »

Sol. We can handle it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:24 pm »

Welcome back, Wyrm.

Glad I brought it back?

------------------------

You decide to have your mercenaries assist in the Sol invasion. Hell, you've grown five times larger since then, you can handle it.

You'll have to move your headquarters, as it is located smack-dab in Highlander space. The Highlanders assign you your own outpost on one of their border planets, and it is very large. Capable of holding up to two-hundred people, and dozens of craft and armored vehicles.

Preparations are made, and you are handed a checklist from your secretary, stating the total materials, manpower, weapons, and almost everything else you are moving towards the new base, kindly given to you from the Highlander High Command.

However, you notice that the name of your company is absent. You'll have to rectify that...
What was the name of your company again?

COMPANY STATUS:
Highlander Billions owned: 10,000.

Facilities:
(4) Barracks capable of housing 50 people each.
(2) Armories for small-arms.
(3) Hangars capable of holding 5 craft each.
(2) Vehicle Depots, holds 8 vehicles each.
(1) Repair-Bay, for fixing mechanical things. Can hold 3 damaged ships/vehicles at a time.
(4) Guard outposts, with static machine-guns.
(1) Anti-Air outpost, for shooting down enemy craft.
(2) Medical bays, capable of holding 10 injured each.
(3) Large Storage Rooms.

Mercenaries:

Razor Team: (7)
Gordon Price - Squad Leader
Reg Uld - Brawler
Lilith Merd - Technician
Mark Nilman - Medic
Gregory Goff - Rifleman
Lars Schwartz - Designated Marksman
Keith Avitan - Rifleman

SQUADS:
Alpha (10/10) Has Medic, Technician, Combat Engineer.
Bravo (12/12) Has Medic, Demolitions expert, Anti-Tank Expert.
Charlie (10/10)Has Medic, Designated Marksman.

Other:
Jon Mckinney - Pilot
Jak Baxter - Surgeon
Telm Emurius - Weapons Engineer
Jon Staen - Mechanic

5 pilots
10 Mechanics
2 Surgeons
7 crewmen. (Vehicles)

Vehicles/Craft:

(3) CS-A7: Close-Air-Support Hovercraft. Ion/Gauss armament.
(3) TS-E5: Standard Dropship. Ballistic Armament.
(1) APC-6: Fast, lightly-armored APC, holds a squad of troops. Laser armament. 3 Crewmen.
(1) T23: Medium Tank. 5 Crewmen. Ion/Gauss armament.

Armory:
Standard Issue Highlander Battle Rifle: 40
Highlander Marksman Rifle: 2
Standard Medium Combat Armor: 30
Standard Light Combat Armor: 10

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44:43 pm »

Yup. This was the first Forum Games and Roleplaying thread I joined, IIRC.

Is this the same company as in the first game?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »

Yep. Though stuff is scaled up a bit, as in you have multiple squads to send into battle, not just one.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:40 pm »

Excellent. Let's say...MacLeod's Immortals?
Sig

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »

I intend to be active this time on the thread. Also, +1 for MacLeod's Immortals.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

I believe we should use heavy tanks, as they can withstand a beating from the light tanks and will be unstoppable in open combat.
(as battlefield 2142 taught me)

Edit:I wouldn't mind command of a tank if that's okay
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:05:03 pm by Elfeater »
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:08 pm »

Have any of the named mercs from the original game died or moved to administrative tasks?
Do all squads have a battle-barkeep?
Sig

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:19:14 pm »

Goddamn Bureaucratic scum in the High Command, screwing up your company's name. The MacLeod's Immortals, remember it!

Sighing with annoyance, you step out of your office in your small base, watching as supplies, and weapons are packed, ready to load onto the TS-E5's for moving. In a couple hours, everyone will be leaving, heading for the new base. Resting your hand on the grip of your sidearm, comfortably holstered on your hip, you walk towards one of the A7's, ready for the journey. You see some Highlander Cargo ships loading up some supplies and men your ships can't carry alone. The Highlanders are clearly expecting a lot of you, judging from the amount of resources and aid they supply you. You had better put these men and their vehicles and weapons to good use when you reach the border.

About a few hours later, your convoy arrives at the border, and you see Outposts litter the orbits of planets, armed to the teeth with weapons nearly as big as a Mothership boasts. It's dangerous here, and the pilots take very special care maneuvering through debris fields, heading towards the small, mostly water-based planet that your base lies on.

The Planet is named Kamyshovo, and is just a series of hundreds of Archipelagos across the waters, with heavy volcanic activity that forms these islands. There are several islands that have grown over hundreds of years, with dead volcanoes, making them good sites for bases such as yours.

An hour later, you are assigning your squad leaders to certain areas of the Barracks your company will occupy for now, for you don't have enough men to fill up another. The support personnel are unloading their vehicles, stowing them in Vehicle Depots and Hangars. Everything is going along fairly well.

You're informed that the Highlanders are having a hard time with taking out enemy Outposts, when their ships are being hit by orbital artillery on a Sol border planet. You could go and try to disable it, potentially saving lives. This will also greatly help the invasion, making your job, and everyone else's job easier down the way. You'll be able to use vehicles, if you wanted to take a heavier approach, rather than a faster in-and-out approach.

A fellow mercenary company, the Black Watch, stationed on the same planet as yours has requested for assistance on raiding a shipment of stolen Walker-Craft. The Sol convoy will likely be guarded, and it will be a test of your mercenary's marine capabilities, along with your pilots, but you will stop the enemy from gaining valuable technology. The Black Watch has also given a hint that they could secure a few of the Walker-Craft, and split whatever they can smuggle past the Highlander military, for the Walker-Craft are supposed to be restricted to mercenaries. No vehicles.

COMPANY STATUS:
Highlander Billions owned: 10,000.

Facilities:
(4) Barracks capable of housing 50 people each.
(2) Armories for small-arms.
(3) Hangars capable of holding 5 craft each.
(2) Vehicle Depots, holds 8 vehicles each.
(1) Repair-Bay, for fixing mechanical things. Can hold 3 damaged ships/vehicles at a time.
(4) Guard outposts, with static machine-guns.
(1) Anti-Air outpost, for shooting down enemy craft.
(2) Medical bays, capable of holding 10 injured each.
(3) Large Storage Rooms.

Mercenaries:

Razor Team: (7)
Gordon Price - Squad Leader
Reg Uld - Brawler
Lilith Merd - Technician
Mark Nilman - Medic
Gregory Goff - Rifleman
Lars Schwartz - Designated Marksman
Keith Avitan - Rifleman

SQUADS:
Alpha (10/10) Has Medic, Technician, Combat Engineer.
Bravo (12/12) Has Medic, Demolitions expert, Anti-Tank Expert.
Charlie (10/10)Has Medic, Designated Marksman.

Other:
Jon Mckinney - Pilot
Jak Baxter - Surgeon
Telm Emurius - Weapons Engineer
Jon Staen - Mechanic

5 pilots
10 Mechanics
2 Surgeons
7 crewmen. (Vehicles)

Vehicles/Craft:

(3) CS-A7: Close-Air-Support Hovercraft. Ion/Gauss armament. Holds 4 Marine troops.
(3) TS-E5: Standard Dropship. Ballistic Armament. Holds a squad of troops and a single vehicle.
(1) APC-6: Fast, lightly-armored APC, holds a squad of troops. Laser armament. 3 Crewmen.
(1) T23: Medium Tank. 5 Crewmen. Ion/Gauss armament.

Armory:
Standard Issue Highlander Battle Rifle: 40
Highlander Marksman Rifle: 2
Standard Medium Combat Armor: 30
Standard Light Combat Armor: 10

---------------------------
Alright, Elf-eater. Just give the name of the guy you want to be dorf'd tank'd as, and any characteristics you want him to have also. I'll introduce him during the combat/interaction.

Wyrm, all the main characters from the last game is in Razor Team, like Reg, Lilith, Mark, etc. Razor is pretty much *Your* team that you will lead into battle if you choose. Think of a commando squad.

And All squads have a battle-drunkard, as in, they all get drunk after the fight, is that good enough?

Wait a second, that reminds me of my military in Dwarf Fortress...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:36 pm »

His name is Max Yeskly, as short, stout, loud, red haired man who is good with machines. After working in his fathers mechanics shop he decided to set off on his own. He eventually wound up in a bad place with bad people, after a scuffle he got picked up by some talent scouts for the mercs. He soon showed himself to be adept with mechanics so he was put into what little armor they had.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:54 pm »

The Immortals had a good tradition of battle-barkeeps!...Of course, I can see why that wouldn't be practical to maintain...
Sig

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »

I don't see why we cant store the booze in side our resident armor, it would be much better protected eh?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:31:06 pm »

PT play later.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:16:11 am »

Im in assuming theres space left.
Can I play a marine officer with the companies air forces?

Character.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:36:54 am by mesor »
Pages: [1] 2 3