Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-dragon Wings: Description is FULL OF LIES!!!  (Read 3045 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-dragon Wings: Description is FULL OF LIES!!!
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »

"Its wings fall limp at its side", eh? 

How then are they being used as independent limbs that can grab a dwarf's leg, strong enough to snap it like a twig?

It was a caravan guard who chose to run outside before I shut the gates, so I don't really care about her death, but I am annoyed that the creature description is FULL OF LIES*!!!

*(And by full of lies, I mean just the one factual inaccuracy.)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-dragon Wings: Description is FULL OF LIES!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:36:22 pm »

I thought the dragon's name was Dingo.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »

They can't fly, but are still big enough to be semi-useful.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:42 pm »

The net effect seems that Cave Dragons are equipped with 6 limbs capable of grabbing and breaking things.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:14:24 pm »

they have evolved more into armlike structure than wings. Can you imagine someone breaking an arm with a wing? the best you could do is smack it really hard, and even then it would probably hurt the wing more. so in truth they are more of a thin widespread arm, think dinosaur like.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:46:04 pm »

It's also funny how Cave Dragons have wings in vanilla, but regular Dragons do not.  At least they didn't in the last version I had installed, may've finally been changed.

But anything with a [LIMB] tag can be used to grapple with, even when it doesn't make sense, and I believe the vanilla wings do have the [LIMB] tag.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:22 pm »

Can you imagine someone breaking an arm with a wing? the best you could do is smack it really hard, and even then it would probably hurt the wing more.

As a counter-argument, I offer you (total anecdata) a tidbit I've heard about Canada Geese. Those wings? Smack someone with them and the arm is broken. They're strong as shit what with all the flying.

You do have a fair point with cave dragons, though, because due to their habitat of 'underground' the wings are probably too atrophied for flight and that's what the 'limp at their sides' means. 'M just saying that wings have a lot of powerful muscles in them to help with defying gravity, and those muscles could also be used for smacking an arm really, really hard.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »

I think I'll just imagine Cave-Dragon wings as being like those upper limbs on zerglings that slash and tear at stuff...except without the slashing and tearing.  Maybe they just got put through hardcore war training to make use of all their limbs.

I do wonder how a wing grabs a dwarf though.  What does it grasp with?  In the raws, body just says they are quadrupeds with and lists 2wings without any special modifiers.  I guess DF treats wings as limbs.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »

...Wings ARE limbs...
Well, not on insects, but still...dragons aren't insects.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:16:35 pm »

actualy swans have been known to bend a steel bucket with their wings and kill medium sized dogs. so something named a dragon i recon can do some damage :P

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:56 pm »

actualy swans have been known to bend a steel bucket with their wings and kill medium sized dogs. so something named a dragon i recon can do some damage :P
When it moves it's arms downwards it pushes the air so hard that the BIRD moves.  Flying creatures are gonna have pretty bad-ass pectorals.

However, Cave-Dragons can't fly.  "Wings hanging limply" implies they don't have even the muscular strength to hold them in place against their own body properly.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:56:55 am »

they have evolved more into armlike structure than wings. Can you imagine someone breaking an arm with a wing? the best you could do is smack it really hard, and even then it would probably hurt the wing more. so in truth they are more of a thin widespread arm, think dinosaur like.

Jeepers creepers ripped some guys head off with his wing.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 07:31:18 am »

I picture Cave Dragons as Khezu from Monster Hunter. Without the electricity. And other things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

Jeepers creepers ripped some guys head off with his wing.

It also did what I imagine DF's version of a wing grab to be. Disturbing.

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:41 am »

It is gigantic however ;) Limp, but gigantic wing.