Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traders leave before they are done unloading.  (Read 2365 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Traders leave before they are done unloading.
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:07:35 am »

Okay, so a human caravan comes with wagons. They get in and start to unload. And as always my dumbass broker seems to invariably go on break when I need him to trade, game after game, version after version so I have to set it to anyone may trade. I keep checking and he keeps saying they're still unloading. Then they leave before they finish and before I can ever trade with them. The path to my depot isn't long and is on the surface, so it's not like it took them all that long to get there. What can be done about this? My embark size is 4x6. Perhaps that's part of it, but that's not all that much larger. This leads me to believe that even if we could play on much larger embarks, the way trading works would prohibit that since they seem to use a timer instead of any reasoning?

???
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:15:20 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders leave before they are done unloading.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:48 am »

There are several possibilities:

1) The traders are having so much stuff that unloading all of those takes longer than they are spending in your fortress. That would require tons of items though, haven't personally experienced this in a long time. Have you perhaps made some requests? Light or very light weight items? If you have, and the fort is several years old already, then the merchants come with several wagons. If most of the goods they bring aren't weighting much it means TONS of items, which takes seriously long time to unload.

2) One of your dwarves may have claimed something brought by merchants. If merchants lose any item without trading they will start leaving immediately.

3) Has the merchants been attacked? I'm not sure if it requires death of merchant (or pack animal or a wagon) but they do tend to leave if they were attacked.

Those tree options should cover most of the situations.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:08 am »

They were safely within my walls, it was two wagons.

I moved the entrance to my depot from the west wall to north since it'd be slightly closer and that's they direction they've been coming from. And something very strange happened. Two wagons entered the map. And drove super speed. Like, 600mph super speed. They zipped across the map and began unloading less than 5 seconds after entering the map.  :o

EDIT:

Then, another normal wagon entered as well as a trader with just pack animal. So 3 wagons and a normal trader. When that wagon got close to my depot it just stopped for awhile. Then a few Goblins strolled by and chased them inside. Seems to have worked out, but if the next one doesn't bug out like that I'm not sure if it'll work out on the long run. We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:18:58 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Tsirkul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46:59 am »

Had the same problem in two variations.
1) As OP described, merchants come at depot, then broker comes, hears the message about "we're still unloading our goods" and next moment traiding depot says that "there is no merchants here" and there is no possibility to trade with them anyway. Looks like it's a bug.
2) Goblin ambush attacks the caravan, when it is already in Depot. Warriors counterattack, but merchants run, then return when it's safe for them, but even when all of them are still alive and in Depot, it says that no one is there. Kinda bug.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:10:41 am »

Can't say i ever seen this happen other then once. but the reason was simple, I hit a lever and blew up one of the wagons by mistake. No one was injured, but they all packed up and left.