Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Uncharted Waters Online - Like that old game you remember, except MMO  (Read 13839 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters Online - Like that old game you remember, except MMO
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:18 pm »

I played this one at launch, i think. It was honest, and the whole maritime theme is original for an MMO (at least it was a first for me), but i grew tired of it after a while (a week or 2). It's just too damn slow, and while it's understandable to have ships move at this speed, it got too damn boring to watch my ship move 90% of the time, with repetitive buying/selling in the remaining 10%. Combat was ok i guess, but i was more interested in trading.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 06:27:25 pm »

I enjoyed UWO playing as a Trader/Adventurer. Nice and relaxing. Very slow-paced, not a lot of progression unless you're willing to invest a lot of time and effort into it. The game is pretty much exactly the same as Voyage Century Online, even down to the same town maps (I recognised them immediately when I first tried UWO). I think it has a few more features, though, and is obviously a lot more updated with the Americas and such available in the world map.

Worth a taste, IMO, even if you're put off by grinding. But if you've played any of the other Voyage Century clones, you'll already know what to expect.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 06:39:28 pm »

Few months ago, I was looking for a maritime MMO and was comparing UWO, Voyage Century Online, and Pirates of the Burning Sea based on various factors.

Pirates of the Burning Sea won by a slight margin over UWO but I forgot why.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »

Just gonna toss this out there - there's no real risk in playing it.  Like it, great.  Hate it, you lose like an hour.  If you're in the market for an MMO, it's worth a shot, and you can stand to risk an hour.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

Damn you Girlinhat! I have a certain fondness of slow paced games but I only have a limited time to go play them.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:13 pm »

Kinda lost interest the first time because everyone in B12 apparently stopped playing.
I enjoyed the sea fight, but found that land battles were rather bland, not that I cared much however. Enjoyed the relatively relaxed pace of the game.

Once I find some free time from playing Mabinogi, I might download and see if there's anything left or if everything, character and guild, was wiped. Either way, even if I do get back into the back, it would only be part-time. I'm still getting my life sucked by Mabi and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:59 pm »

I had my characters kept intact for years/months.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »

Downloaded, installed and updated. Yup, characters are still there, guild company's gone however, but that's no surprise.

If some people are interested and want to recreate a B12 company, let me know. Got some money I could spare, but not going to create anything myself this time.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:13 pm »

Just gonna toss this out there - there's no real risk in playing it.  Like it, great.  Hate it, you lose like an hour.  If you're in the market for an MMO, it's worth a shot, and you can stand to risk an hour.

I hate you. I am downloading this as we speak.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »

I'm a Londoner.  Will offer a B12 company, I've got some funds, but it won't be strictly dwarven.  We don't have enough player base to keep a whole company afloat.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »

Can my ships be named?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »

I'll give it another look. It's been a while. I think my character was Portuguese but last left off somewhere in the eastern Mediterranian

Edit: once it finished downloading the huge number of patches which each seem to want to steal focus every 15 seconds... jeez this is an annoying patcher.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:30:13 pm by sluissa »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:26:12 pm »

Can my ships be named?
Yes, though it only appears if someone examines your ship.  I assume that chat filter rules still apply to ship names.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:10 am »

This game has been out for years, too bad it was Japanese only.

I love UW, but I'm skeptical of this, looks like a WoW grinding clone to me. I'll try it and I'll let you guys know what I think, if that matters.

@Moogie: Ah yes, Voyage Century Online, I was looking of the name of that game. I played that game in an attempt to satisfy my hunger for more Uncharted Water, but it didn't do so well. So if this is a clone of that, well...

EDIT: You know what? Never mind, install was corrupted, and I don't really want to download it again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:43:28 am by justinlee999 »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 07:18:21 am »

I will say that it doesn't look like it's anything like Voyage Century. Similar style, maybe, but you have two games set in the same era they're probably going to look a little bit similar. I never gave VC much of a shot though, surely not the 12+ hours I gave UWO, so I might have missed what you're seeing.

I think I probably chose the worst profession when I started... I selected Adventurer... and that's essentially nothing but fetch quests... They pay well, but geez they're boring. I can't even fight effectively outside of the newbie areas, so practically every fight, I might get one shot off if they're in range, and then I just run and hope I"m faster. I usually am, but sometimes they can shoot me from beyond my range and screw me over. I'm also getting this deck of cards I have no idea what I should be doing with except I think I can sell them to  certain people.

I loved adventuring in the old games, but I'd probably have been better off in the combat or trading professions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4