Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: medical care  (Read 1281 times)

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
medical care
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »

After a completely unexpected attack of six Frogmen from my well during my first winter, two of my eight dwarves were critically injured. One recovered fine, but the other has numerous red and yellow wounds, is unconscious, and is tantruming. He has a very large and very nasty axe and even in the state that he's in I fear that he could do more damage to my already meager population... if he ever wakes up.

I notice that Dwarves have Health Care as a job, but no one seems to want to care for this fellow. Is there some prerequisite item I need to have on hand?

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: medical care
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:00:00 pm »

There's only one thing to be done, and it does require a specific item.

Put in a door and lock him in the room until he dies.  :(

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »

You'll need a bucket to bring them water, and avaliable food to bring them food. They don't require constant care, they just need food to be brought when hungry, and water when thirsty.

If you have any puppies, I suggest making them avaliable for adoption, your bedridden dwarf might adopt one, and puppies will make him feel better and maybe tantrum less?

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FunkyWaltDogg:
<STRONG>There's only one thing to be done, and it does require a specific item.

Put in a door and lock him in the room until he dies.   :(</STRONG>

Heh! I had a dwarf who had his spine broken in a fist fight, and he was paralyzed. I couldn't decide if I should 'euthanize' him or not. I thought it'd be too cruel, so I let him live.

Much to my amazement and delight, my poor injured dwarf's spine healed after a few seasons~ It was a christmas miracle ^_^

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »

Honestly, FunkyWaltDogg probably has the right idea.  Caring for the injured dwarf is probably just going to get him well enough to go berzerk on the rest of your dwarves.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:11:00 pm »

If he's not that good with unarmed you might want to assign him to that (and remove him from any axe requiring jobs) in the military screen.  I've had one dwarf recover from tantrum state.  He'd been doing hunting duty and had lost both dogs, slept outside a bunch and I didn't have much setup yet, so he was complaining about no bed, no place to sit, no well, etc.  He messed up some animals, and wrecked the masonry a few times (while I was trying to build a block to make the well), but with enough nice things he recovered his temper (and picked up some wrestling skill and throwing skill from his ranting).  Injury looks to be harder since it is a constant irritant as long as he stays injured.

I think if I were looking to fix the injury problem I'd make the dwarf rest more (shorter amount of uptime before resting, longer downtime while resting), and if it was possible to weight things, I'd weight destroying other people's things higher than one's own, and make destroying beds really low on the list.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »

I usually don't have any trouble getting them to stop tantruming, but even one yellow injury renders them a useless drain on resources from then on out. As far as I can tell they never heal, and you have to turn off all their jobs to keep from getting spammed with messages about them cancelling work to rest.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »

The only luck I've had with healed injuries is when a particularly happy person manages to heal before they throw enough tantrums to go insane.  Of course, now they're perfectly healed and throwing tantrums, but once they destroy something the sheriff should arrest them, which will, upon release, immediately bump them up to Ecstatic.  They're in the locker for a couple months, though, and they never get any sleep (so they come out being very tired and might get pissed again).

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »

Maybe dwarves should have a new Doctoring skill which allows them to receive a task to heal a random wound on an injured dwarf up by one damage level.  For instance, mangled to broken, broken to damaged, damaged to bruised, and bruised to normal.  This would take X amount of time, and only 1 doctoring attempt could be made on a single patient every Y number of game days, or some such.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »

A doctor skill would be cool, maybe have it be part of health care

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 08:08:00 pm »

I'd say it'd be more realistic if doctors applied some cloth (and sticks in case of fractures) onto wounds to make them heal faster rather than did some fantasy magic that instantly fixed a broken bone.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

is healing speed random? I had a dwarf with two red wounds from killing the berserk sheriff (the four dwarves that went before him weren't so lucky) and one of the wounds healed completely after one season or so. the other one stayed red for another year until he went insane and died.

out of six critical injuries in that fort, only one recovered. the rest went into the unstoppable tantrum cycle and eventually went insane. pets didn't seem to help.

maybe the alchemist workshop could make some kind of medicine, or the soap could be used to clean wounds.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

I'm more concnered with field medic skill for preventing dwarves form bleeding to death in the case of training accidents, myself.

Oboro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:00:00 pm »

The dwarf I mentioned in the OP has slowly been recovering. It's been two seasons and his yellow injury is totally gone, but his upper body is still a red one.

He's stopped the tantrum cycle, and he isn't even unhappy anymore. He moved out of the bed in the barracks and into his room, which was tailored to his preferences which is probably why he managed to crawl out of his depression. He tries to do some work occasionally, but he just cancels to rest. Still, I hope that someday he'll be back to work.  :)

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 07:11:00 am »

Medical dwarves = good idea. Then you could have Apothecaries(or just use Alchemists) who make elixirs(not really magical, but still useful), Surgeons and so on. Some vague ideas:
- splinting limbs, requires wood
- surgery, requires a stone table
- various medical drugs, from anesthetics(though there's already booze...)to generic faster-healing balms...and also recreative drugs other than alcohol...Caffeine, anyone? :-) Also, you could give sedatives to some...unstable dwarves.
- cauterization(to stop bleeding) and amputation
- bandages(made from cloth/silk)
- 'healthier'foods
- placebo effect - happier dwarves heal somewhat faster.
- brain surgery, to heal insane dwarves. requires them to either be knocked out or tied to a sturdy chair. Failure either kills them or makes them crazier...
Pages: [1] 2