Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using teeth and claws for butchering  (Read 517 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Using teeth and claws for butchering
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:44 am »

Would this be feasible?  I mean, humans and dwarves can probably tear meat with their teeth.  Maybe they wouldn't be able to surgically remove organs, skin and such, but what about a simpler version of butchering?  If you don't have any tools, you have to manually remove a single piece of meat every time you use the butchering menu. 

This would help if one made a "wildman" adventurer, one who does not use any tools or weapons. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Using teeth and claws for butchering
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:50 am »

I think it is reasonable that civilized species use tools. Hell, even some monkeys use tools to breaking nuts and fruits. In addition, human teeth and nails are not really designed for cutting meat into pieces in similar way that lions', for example, are.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:16 am »

Yeah, but if you're say, completely unarmed, and needed to butcher food, wouldn't it be neat to do this?  I'm saying that you can't completely strip a corpse the way you can do with sharp objects, but biting off meat with your mouth, or tearing it with your claws, one piece at a time, isn't all that farfetched. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:03 am »

I wouldn't mind if that was possible but it seems like quite trivial low priority feature.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:53:12 am by dwarfhoplite »

forward

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:10:11 am »

If one has stomach to butcher animal by using teeth, why not just eat corpses just like that?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:15:07 am »

Yeah, but doing that would be difficult, because the game treats bodies as one thing, right?  If this were to be placed, an entire body could be swallowed whole.

That actually sounds pretty cool.  Perhaps very large monsters could do that? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:23:28 am »

I like this feature, this would allow for more proper animal adventurers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »

I'd like to see the ability to use body parts to substitute for tools in general. Like, a mole's claws could be used to dig, a beaver's teeth could cut down trees, carnivores' teeth could butcher, etc.
I also think a crude butchery would be neat.

About "wildman" adventurers, wouldn't it make sense to grab a blade anyways?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »

No.  No it would not. 

I mean, that's the whole point of being a wildman.  Forsaking the ways of civilisation. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »

How about a sharp rock?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »

That would make more sense.  But I was thinking, the really feral type of person, one who both won't and can't use tools. 

I suppose if you wanna be Tarzan that would be excellent. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.