Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]  (Read 21120 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

So I've started up Copperpools again. We finally finished walling off the perimeter of the fort, so now I'm going to see about setting up a marksdorf militia, fortifications, and improving our storage sheds, establishing a workshed area, and starting some simple but proper bedrooms.

I've got metal bars, now how do I make metal mechanisms? Does it require some labor other than mechanic or what? The mechanist workshop is demanding stone for mechanics, which we don't have, obviously.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2012, 12:58:11 pm »

You make mechanisms at a forge.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »

The autumn migrant wave was a married pair of rangers with three more dwarflings, plus two dwarves with no other relations. One of the rangers had steel bolts and a steel crossbow! I haven't gotten the caravan yet, but one guess about what I'm exporting...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zorki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is late summer in the first year of the fortress called Registbar, or Gloverose. The seven were sent out to settle a riverside area to establish a primarily agricultural fort away from the rest of the Dwarven civilization. Hopefully, it will provide an eventual respite against the constant wars with the nearby Goblin civilization, a place to retreat to. Hiding in the mountains is no longer enough.

Unfortunately, the dwarves have been ordered to build their fort completely above-ground by their leader: Avuz the goblin, Queen of the Infallible Paints. Even if they wanted to, the soft sand, so different from the familiar stone of their mountain homes, is impossible to dig into without risking catastrophic collapses due to instability. Without any other choice, the seven strike the trees. The result is meager and depressing. With trees running out and food supplies inconsistent, the new migrant wave poses a significant problem. The reinforcements, each of them combat dwarves, bring new orders from the queen: settle, build, and grow into a new capital city fit for the refugees of the mountains. The goblins will never suspect a wooden fort in a forest. They will be safe.

It is quite the paradigm shift for the dwarves led by the goblin queen. While they munch on their strangely sweet outdoor berries in the rain, the beginning of complaints can be heard during idle conversation. They miss the mountains. They miss their home. Only two seasons in, the weight of their situation is only beginning to sink in.

And the goblins already know.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »

Hm. When I pressed Prepare Carefully, the screen popped up with two steel battleaxes in the items. Though I'd prefer a cheaper material, I dare not remove them for fear of not being able to select them again. And when I search for other types of battle axes, nothing pops up. So I assume it's just there by default.

Embarking on a mirthful, warm woodland, with a nearby necromancer tower. Should be fun. (Yep, just 'fun.')

Laml;

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2012, 04:41:00 pm »

It's late Winter of the year 126, and things are going pretty well in the fortress/camp of Missazir.

By "pretty well", I mean "dissapointingly uneventful". All the action I had so far are two Kobold Thieves that didn't put much of a fight and birds suddenly interrupting everything and stealing turtle stew.
Also, I tried to trade my stock of wooden crafts for an anvil and some metals to the caravan, and I'm not sure if I actually got anything. At least I know I didn't get an anvil. Which might just be a huge problem if I produce wealth to quick and get invaded without having more than wooden swords, expecially since the only walls I have are the ones of my dining room.
Yeah, scratch that, I'm screwed as soon as I get invaded anyway.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of large beasts. I thought having a "very high" numbers of them would be enough to get at least a trimestrial apparition, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and it's boring.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2012, 04:50:44 pm »

I'm in my second year, I have the beginnings of a glass and clay industry and my first axe lord. Yet, I'm giving up. The 'cancel construction due to creature occupying site' bug is too much for me. Particularly considering everything needs to be built. I'll revisit the challenge down the road in the next release.
Argh, I'm getting close to ragequitting for this very reason. On the fifth try to build a very necessary wall to keep goblins from standing on the rim of the volcano and having a straight shot down into the compound, canceling the build order caused the log to fall off the cliff and break my glassmaker's arm. This is insane.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »

I'm in my second year, I have the beginnings of a glass and clay industry and my first axe lord. Yet, I'm giving up. The 'cancel construction due to creature occupying site' bug is too much for me. Particularly considering everything needs to be built. I'll revisit the challenge down the road in the next release.
Argh, I'm getting close to ragequitting for this very reason. On the fifth try to build a very necessary wall to keep goblins from standing on the rim of the volcano and having a straight shot down into the compound, canceling the build order caused the log to fall off the cliff and break my glassmaker's arm. This is insane.

Wait, you're building your fortress inside a volcano? When I first saw this I was thinking of doing this exact same thing. :o

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »

I'm going to build my glassmakers' quarters in the volcano, does that count for anything?
Maybe I could put a farm in there, too...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:11 pm »

My militia commander, who I had told to do some smithing, grabbed some bronze bars and claimed the magma forge (not in that order, mind you). He makes a bronze morningstar named Kisssizzled (Alisumstiz). Kisssizzled has bronze studs and bands, as well as images. Specifically, images of a thin cross, short swords, two wild strawberries, and itself. My first artifact, a fractal...Well, I was hoping for a glass making mood, but just wait. A legendary  weaponsmith is pretty good.
On a side note, my militia commander was assigned his axe, currently one he forged, Alisumstiz, and the first masterwork he made (a bronze short sword). I imagine him dual-wielding morningstar and axe and having the sword in a sheath on his back.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

The caravan came! I had a bunch of large, serrated green glass disks brought to the depot, expecting that a few would buy out the whole caravan. With three wagons and a yak, there was a LOT more caravan than expected, but so far, once my broker reaches the depot I've done fairly well.
Sig

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »

So hey, Hunger, I think the humans are more clever than you gave them credit for.

Naturally, I'm shocked and appalled at this sacrilege, and will be booting them out of my fortress immediately. I'd just kill them, but then I'd be stuck with that...monstrosity. Imagine, scarring the very flesh and bone of Armok!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2012, 11:06:21 pm »

So hey, Hunger, I think the humans are more clever than you gave them credit for.

Naturally, I'm shocked and appalled at this sacrilege, and will be booting them out of my fortress immediately. I'd just kill them, but then I'd be stuck with that...monstrosity. Imagine, scarring the very flesh and bone of Armok!
Kill the humans and dump the pickaxe into your volcano.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:44 am »

A...pick?  Wait, does that mean the humans might have stone and ore-based metals for sale?  Like Iron and Flux stones?

I guess I'll find out.  (I'm assuming though that even if they DID have

I've embarked on the northern slope of a volcanic range in a 3x5 embark that stretches from the Magma to the Brook.  It's a scorching climate, which is why I wanted the brook, since I'd have a hard time setting up a rainwater collection system without digging.  (Maybe a small roofed cistern fed by a screw-pump which I pump like hell whenever it starts raining.  That might work, but I'm gonna take this one challenge at a time).

The River valley where I plan on making my fort (although there IS a small plateau near my wagon I could use for something, maybe a "Hill Station" or something, connected by a protected walkway) and it lies at z99.  The wagon and plateau are at z130, and the peak of the volcano is at z153.  Setting up any sort of magma-based operations is going to be a bit...tricky. I could try to tap into it at z145 by carving a fortification into the side, and then having the magma flow into a natural gully down to nearby the plateau site, and probably starting a brush fire that will burn down half the map.

I don't much fancy the steep inclines that surround the river floor, since it potentially means that goblin archers would have free reign shooting arrows down over my walls at the squishy civilians inside.  I suppose roofing may be in order if it comes to that, or at least make the meeting hall area into a "Keep" with food and drink stores that they can all take shelter in.

So many possibilities.  "prospect all" with DFhack shows that the only ore beneath the site is Galena, so digging wouldn't have done me much good anyhow.  :P  It also told me that I have nothing but palm trees for wood, except for a handful of willows around the streams and dry ponds. This makes me happy, since I'll be able to keep all of my wood types consistent.  My walls won't be made of a mish-mash of different woods.  Uniformity will be achieved!!!!

I'm a little worried about the very small quantities of wild rope-reed present, but I suppose all I need is 1 seed from one successful plucking.  Or a buy a bagful from a Human Caravan (no elves in this world).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2012, 03:47:08 am »

A...pick?  Wait, does that mean the humans might have stone and ore-based metals for sale?  Like Iron and Flux stones?

Well, it was a copper pick. And kobolds have had iron knives, so there's iron around. Haven't seen any stone, though, except in blocks, which I expect they sell just to make fun of me.

After much soul-searching, I took Mr. Willsauce's advice, slaughtered the humans and threw their filthy dirt-scratchers into the volcano.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11