Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]  (Read 21181 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »

I just started. I have a bunch of trees, a plain, and hell I'll tweak worldgen so I get a volcano.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »

I've re-embarked. The new site has everything: A volcano, sand...well, no water, but we're dwarves. Oh, and it's halfway on an evil biome, including the volcano bit, so yay. Downside: Murkfenced's volcano is depressed well into the block mountains to the north...nothing dwarven labor can't solve...just cut down trees and build stairs...Are keas that bad?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 12:06:18 am »

I did pretty much the same as GWG. Found a volcanoe with sand nearby, was trying for fire clay or any clay as well. But didn't try that hard, as I got the surface sand and a reasonably accessible volcanoe caldera on the 2nd try.

Spent most of my embark points on bronze bars, and a steel anvil to make mechanisms with. Will have to forage basic supplies from the surrounding lands.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:09:23 am by Patchy »

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:59 am »

Was trying to gen a world to my liking, and came across the civ:
Tekkud Otam "The Pick of Noses"

I don't expect my surface fort in an evil biome is going to get very far, but it was the only volcano site with a lot of flat land.

Edit:
Yep, attacked by 7 Kea Corpses on day two.  Reanimating biome, even if I kill them, not a chance. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:23:31 am by Xob Ludosmbax »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2012, 02:36:06 am »

Ber Amostthunen sketches pictures of a quarry.

Dammit.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51:26 am »

So I tweaked minimum volcanoes from 3 to 10. And that's pretty much it. The very first world I genned stuck a volcano right in my face throughout the whole generation process. In fact, the RNG is handing me everything I need on a silver platter.

Behold Minedclosed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That plateau is basically the only flat land until the bottom of the mountain, way to the south (I used a 5x3 embark because I was afraid there would be none at all). The slopes seriously cut into the tree numbers, but I should be able to free up the wood eventually: that yellow dirt inside the wall is pure unadulterated sand. I'm looking forward to making one big freakin' green glass fortress.

So far, the RNG has been showering me with gifts. I'm anxious to see what else it's going to shower me with...

i cant really decipher the ascii, but cant enemies get up the hillside over those slopes left and right, and just enter your fort over the slopes inside the walls?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

SmK_JaGuaR

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:37 am »

I will complete this challenge, then get back to you.  Tree-house fort here we go!

We're gonna be like the Kids Next Door!!

Oh sweet I have a naming scheme and a fort plan already...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2012, 05:41:16 am »

Your kidding me right..... This is how I play DF already....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:29 am »

Dang, I have to try this now. I wish I had some free time tomorrow but Fridays are always ultrabusy for me. I guess it'll have to wait till the weekend.

Uh, can I just mod out picks myself?

You could, But then you would be disabled from the top twenty list.
Considering that I'm starting late, I'm likely to be pushed off it anyway. I'll do my own modding. :)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:19 am »

I'm building my economy on turkey egg sunshine roasts. Too bad I can never make a millstone or quern, it would be really useful right now what with all the whip vines.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:22 am »

So I tweaked minimum volcanoes from 3 to 10. And that's pretty much it. The very first world I genned stuck a volcano right in my face throughout the whole generation process. In fact, the RNG is handing me everything I need on a silver platter.

Behold Minedclosed:

That plateau is basically the only flat land until the bottom of the mountain, way to the south (I used a 5x3 embark because I was afraid there would be none at all). The slopes seriously cut into the tree numbers, but I should be able to free up the wood eventually: that yellow dirt inside the wall is pure unadulterated sand. I'm looking forward to making one big freakin' green glass fortress.

So far, the RNG has been showering me with gifts. I'm anxious to see what else it's going to shower me with...

i cant really decipher the ascii, but cant enemies get up the hillside over those slopes left and right, and just enter your fort over the slopes inside the walls?
They could, if I hadn't built walls extending all the way up to the rim of the caldera and built (and then removed) floors over all the earth ramps on the outside to destroy them.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:17 am »

I'm in

some ultrahardcore embark and play now!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 06:08:32 pm »

From atop his high pestle, the Royal Captain of the Guard looked down his long nose at the dwarf that was brought before him.
"Urist MegaHelment, you stand here before this court guilty of treason. Death or exile?"

"Damn you an this court! I'll be dead sooner than live like elf!" Urist spat vehemently.

The judge smiled grimly.
"Very well then! Death!....by exile!"

---------------------------------

Spring, 251

'Tis been a hard year, cursed to live in this country never knowing the sweet touch of earth ever again. Working under the gaze of that awful yellow eye. How do the elves stand it? I've been given charge of all the exiles to make an existence of sort out here. If I can make it 10 years, then my case might be heard again. As of this writing, none have returned from exile.

In the first year, we managed to erect a small fort and get most of our goods inside. We have some crowded sleeping chambers, some haphazardly placed dining tables, and with some careful planned accidents managed to knock a hole in the brook. There be a volcano on the top of that mountain, but securing it has been difficult. The commander lost his hand to gators that run rampart. McGlazer got himself killed in the brook piercing accident. Someday we hope to find a way to bury him.

Just as we finished clearcutting the forest, we found a wonder discovery. We can gather clay. We're a way from making bricks, but can use the raw clay to build walls. It should hold up fine for that. Hopefully, next year we can trade with caravan. This year, we had no choice but to rob it. But what did they expect, we are all criminals here.

Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:RETARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »

Your kidding me right..... This is how I play DF already....

Good for you, Want a cookie?

I have started back up, I got 2 babys born... More mouths to feed.
Anyhow I am working on some type of water pumping system for water for my dwarfs so they do not have to travel out as often.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117366.0
Made By: Hunger

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »

My fortress is most of the way through the first Granite, and I have almost finished the staircase to the volcano's rim...er, the surface of the magma. This means that I'm close to starting a glass industry!  And a minor metalworking industry.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11