Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An experiment in dwarf romance  (Read 6752 times)

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An experiment in dwarf romance
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:55:54 am »

I like the generational epic part of DF, and generally try to nurture my dwarf families. Considering ways to preserve thin bloodlines, I looked at the relationships and marriage sections of the wiki and searched these forums but didn't find much that clarified dwarf matchmaker preference. So I decided to do a little experiment with my population. I'm curious whether what I found matches with the conventional wisdom around these parts.

I started with 102 single dwarfs. I assigned 70 of them in equal numbers of male/female to restricted socialization burrows, while the other 32 were left free to take care of daily fortress business with the already involved/married/widowed members of the population.

My "open" burrow covered the center of my dining hall and portions of my food/drink stockpiles. Participants here were free to mingle with the rest of the population as they passed through, and to travel off-burrow for something if they were so moved.

The other burrows covered 5X5 rooms with engraved walls, furnished with a table and chair (designated dining room), food and drink stockpiles, a bed, and a few statues. When the designated population of that burrow had gathered in it, I locked the door and designated a statue garden covering the room to bolster happy thoughts.

I kept them burrowed for one year, checking in regularly on the relationships screens of the participants. At the end of this time, all dwarfs in each burrow were mutual friends and nearly all had developed lovers or married. At the start of the next year, I had 28 single dwarfs. Many participants in the "open" burrow became involved with general population members who came to idle in the dining hall. (Open burrow members also formed several general population friendships, especially with children, as I expected.)

In my population, the absolute limiting factor was relative age. No dwarfs formed romantic relationships with anyone more than 10 years older or younger than they were. With suitable age matches, and plenty of time for repeat socialization, they paired off.

Of those who formed relationships, dwarves from the same "professional caste" (as defined by color) paired off more often. By this I mean "grey" metalsmiths, "blue" craftsdwarfs, "brown" agriculturists etc. Although I did have three "yellow" carpenter/bowyer<->"blue" woodcrafter pairs that my mind wants to connect as "wood-based professions," I expect that was coincidence. The in-caste relationships were just more frequent though; plenty of mixed-profession relationships formed.

As I expected, dwarfs with highly social personality traits made friends with their burrow companions faster than others, and generally entered romantic liaisons faster. Outside of paying attention to that trend, I didn't try to track whether specific personality traits were more often to lead to lover relationships, but in general dwarfs got involved and married with others with disparate personalities.

The progression from lover to married happened at wildly different and to me unpredictable intervals after the relationships formed. While I've had dwarfs be lovers for years in normal fortress life, the enforced repeat-socialization environment effectively accelerated this. Most of my former dwarf bachelor(ette)s were married at the end of the test period.

I had one couple who were both fairly antisocial and self-conscious who had formed friendships with everyone else in their burrow, but were only long-term acquaintances to each other. One was an armorer, the other a glassmaker. On a whim I activated armoring/glassmaking on both, and they married before I got around to checking their burrow members' relationships again. I think this was coincidence.

By contrast, I had one pair assigned to a burrow containing only each other. Both were highly social, making friends quickly, enjoying the company of others, admire tradition, great sense for social relationships (and music). They worshiped the same gods. They were both clothiers who also did weaving, dyeing, and spinning as side jobs (and were proficient planters, although this was not enabled). They were separated by 12 years of age. They became friends almost immediately, but never partnered.

A few dwarfs not in the experiment also became lovers. My favorite of these was a pairing between a speardwarf and my chief medical dwarf. The speardwarf went down to the caverns to retrieve a xcloakx and had a run-in with a jabberer. He put it down readily enough, but incurred a severe beard injury (broken tissue, heavy damage, infection). After the incident, he went to the hospital to Rest Injury. The CMD diagnosed him, washed his beard with Giant Cave Spider soap (for the silkiness?), sutured his beard with forgotten beast hair thread. They were passing acquaintances when he went to the hospital, and got married as soon as he got out of bed, throwing a wedding reception at the well in the center of the hospital. In the midst of my locking dwarves up to get them to "date," I found that a wonderful spontaneous event from the RNG and a fitting dwarf romance. They were the only man and woman in their 90s in the fort. (Poor Vabok's beard enjoyed a partial recovery, and cleared the infection. I imagine the mangled hairs are rather sporting with the FB hair suture/braid/graft/whatever-it-is.)

At the end of it all, the 28 single dwarfs include some with no eligible mates in the population. I've got two women, aged 34 and 48, and several men (2 in their 70s, 1 in his 80s, 1 in his 100s and 1 in his 110s). The other unattached dwarfs are young up-and-comers in their teens, although 2/3 are women. I stuck two of the teens with different professions and different personality traits, who were not yet friends, in a burrow by themselves after the experiment year, and they became lovers within a month.

TL;DR - from what I found in my fort, two dwarfs of different sex within 10 years of age to each other, given circumstances that foster repeated socialization, are likely to become lovers. More social dwarfs, and those of similar professions, seem to pair off more quickly, but only age and social exposure seemed to limit relationship formation.

Does this match others' experiences?

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An experiment in dwarf romance
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:04:28 am »

You should see if a lowered mood or bodily harm  has an effect on relationship fromation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:06 am »

Very useful information. Thanks for the Science!

(Due to lack of deaths, this is not !!Science!!)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:12 am »

Very thorough research and interesting to read, well done.

Something else that might be worth looking into is whether age plays a role in how fast dwarves begin romances.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »

I am consistently suprised at all the interesting things about this game that keep on becoming discovered.

There so much depth, especially where you least expect it!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:55 pm »

Wow, somebody actually spent time on dorfs that wasn't an attempt to create a new way to maim dorfs?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »

Hmm...I wonder if it is always 10 years or if it's some % of max life? Would a short-lived race have a narrower range? Would Elves have a range at all?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »

Wow, somebody actually spent time on dorfs that wasn't an attempt to create a new way to maim dorfs?
No, this was an attempt to create new dwarves to maim.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:53:26 pm »

Hmm...I wonder if it is always 10 years or if it's some % of max life? Would a short-lived race have a narrower range? Would Elves have a range at all?
Oh no, Pedo-Elves. :(
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 01:09:02 pm »

Oh no, Pedo-Elves. :(

I assume the game would only match adults. Although that's still pretty young in the game.
Come play Mafia with us!

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »

Posting to watch.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »

Correction, due to the lack of fire or magma it is not !!science!!.

Interesting science, though.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »

Correction, due to the lack of fire or magma it is not !!science!!.

Interesting science, though.

I always figured that the !!Science!! logo was on fire to denote that it was dangerous Science.

Although now I kinda want to see a thread on water physics listed as ~~Science~~...
Come play Mafia with us!

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »

Superb research! First time I've seen a benign dwarf social experiment.

The wiki page would probably benefit from this study.
No signature

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

No, this was an attempt to create new dwarves to maim.
They'll maim each other very nicely during the tantrum spiral that'll happen when even one of them kicks the bucket.
Pages: [1] 2