Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: err weird bug?  (Read 2052 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
err weird bug?
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:33:25 am »

I had a bunch of rocks just magically teleport to a single tile. No dfhack was used.

I was doing some construction work, which required a 3x2 up down stairway to be constructed in the middle of a full stone stock pile.

I undesignated part of the stock pile and then had the stairs built.

I then had the stairs - unbuilt. Part way through deconstruction - half of my stock pile vanished.
I checked and they seem to have been teleported onto a single tile.

Has anyone else heard of this?

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: err weird bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:22 am »

To what tile were they moved to? A screenshot (or more than one) could help.
Maybe you accidentally dumped half your stockpile using (d-b-d)?
Did you get any sort of suspicious message spam? Like, job cancellation spam?
Are the moved stones forbidden? Marked for dumping? (check with the k screen)
Is the now half-empty stockpile being refilled?
I also suppose you're using the latest version of vanilla DF, without any mods installed (graphic tile packs aren't mods).

Aaaand that's all the circumstances I can think of. I can't possibly guess any sort of solution without additional information.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:50:14 am »

Best I can come up with is that somehow a cave in happened and pushed the rocks on top of each other. That or a black hole is forming.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:57 am »

Right now when you deconstruct something, any item in a certain range around that deconstructed tile gets teleported to the same spot as the deconstructed building's material.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 06:22:00 am »

Right now when you deconstruct something, any item in a certain range around that deconstructed tile gets teleported to the same spot as the deconstructed building's material.

This. Its a 16x16 square around the tile that was deconstructed. Quite annoying when you build a floor over a magma pipe for forges, and have to remove a floor tile to place your forge, and the entire stockpile of bars thats nearby jumps into the tile next to the recently removed floor, then blocks construction of your forge, allowing a magma crab to shoot your legendary weaponsmith to death.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:40:39 am »

...Or just when renovating an aboveground fortress.
I've seen plenty of magma crabs, but none have ever attacked. I'd consider the possibility of a conspiracy, but Bay12 isn't that organized.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:59:18 am »

Thanks that bug described above sounds right - I'll see if I can put up a screen shot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm let me know if that link works!

(Dwarves have been industrious and are filling in the stock pile, so its not a full 16x16 area when I took the Screenie.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:16:33 am »

Oh that explains why in my aboveground fortress, items kept randomly hopping around the place... confused me.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:35:39 am »

This is a known bug. It annoyed the hell out of me, but there is a binary patch around that solves this and some other bugs.

Edit: Found it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:37:59 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:56:24 am »

This is a known bug. It annoyed the hell out of me, but there is a binary patch around that solves this and some other bugs.

Edit: Found it.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741
That's great, thank you for fetching the file.
I never had encountered this bug because of how little I tend to use constructions, but you just saved me a great deal of potential frustration.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:57 am »

This bug feature is useful when you build a wall around your entire map and fight sieges on the few tiles left on the outside. You can have covered bunkers where a civilian builds and destroys a wall and collect all the goblinite in perfect safety, even while the battle rages.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:05 am »

This bug feature is useful when you build a wall around your entire map and fight sieges on the few tiles left on the outside. You can have covered bunkers where a civilian builds and destroys a wall and collect all the goblinite in perfect safety, even while the battle rages.
I suppose the vacuum left by the unconstructed wall is pulling items in. Now if only it also pulled goblins it would be much more weaponizable.
Just out of curiosity, does it work across z-levels too? And through walls?

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:14:57 am »

Internally, the map is divided into 16x16x1 chunks; the bug pulls everything in the object's chunk to the given tile. 

So, if you consider (1,1) to be the corner, and you deconstruct something at (16,16), everything between (1,1) and (16,16) gets moved, but if you deconstruct something at (16,17), everything from (1,17) to (16,32) gets moved, and of course, if you deconstruct something at (21,18), everything from (17,17) to (32,32) gets moved. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: correction: changed 24s to 32s.  (x+8) != (x+16)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:03:25 am by Xob Ludosmbax »

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »

I can understand 1,1 to 16,16 being chunk 1.

But how does it apply in your example for 1,17 to extend only till 16,24?

That's a y axis of only height 7, shouldn't it be height 16? so you would be going from 1,17 to 16, 32?

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »

This. Its a 16x16 square around the tile that was deconstructed. Quite annoying when you build a floor over a magma pipe for forges, and have to remove a floor tile to place your forge, and the entire stockpile of bars thats nearby jumps into the tile next to the recently removed floor, then blocks construction of your forge, allowing a magma crab to shoot your legendary weaponsmith to death.
I get the feeling this isn't hypothetical.  :D

...Or just when renovating an aboveground fortress.
I've seen plenty of magma crabs, but none have ever attacked. I'd consider the possibility of a conspiracy, but Bay12 isn't that organized.
They do. The last time I built my fort inside the rim of a volcano, it took me forever to figure out where all that spinning basalt was coming from. Although, I didn't seriously try to track it down until the first serious damage done, shattering the arm of my carpenter.

I think had been agitating the crab it by dumping refuse into the volcano; I don't know if that makes a difference.
Pages: [1] 2