Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37

Author Topic: M E I N K A M P F : A Tale of Vainglourious Basterds - [GAME OVER: 5/11]  (Read 68857 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Finally able to post now that I got used to hearing less than I used to.

First Unvote, since Hapah answered the question directed to him.

BMC:
DeathSword: What did you learn from your last BM game with me?
That you lurk as scum.

Blackmagechill
Why are you asking questions about previous games? What do you hope to accomplish from asking about something that will have very little to do this game, after all, roles are switched up between rounds.
I know pretty well how the game works.

Why is it such a big deal to ask questions about previous games, hmm? Deathsword does a lot in BM games, and I wanted to get a read on his definition of good play on his part, and Tir always being scum is mostly Hapah's joke.

I'm trying to get a pretext from how everyone else is reading things (specifically tells), and there's nothing to look into here but RVS.
No I don't. I often ask questions related to use of abilities, but not questions about previous games.

IO:
Deathsword:
BMC: If you could choose between being a commie or a nazi (but not a spy), which would you choose?
What was the point of this question?
RVS question. Also to see if BMC changed from the last time I was in a game with him.

Jim:
Deathsword, do you Heil Hitler every morning, noon, and night?
Why not just ask "Are you scum?" instead?

Tiruin:
Deathsword

Hapah: How do you think the game was affected (if at all) by having it start at night?

BMC: If you could choose between being a commie or a nazi (but not a spy), which would you choose?

Toaster: If you were a nazi and had a protect, how would you decide on whom to us it on?
Commie? Communists?

Where did you get that strange idea?
See post #60 by Toaster.

Back to BMC:
blackmagechill:
blackmagechill:  If you were a miller, would you claim in your first post?
HMM, that's a good question, along with a bit of rolefishing in there. Curious? I'd probably claim pretty early, because its in my best interest to not seem suspicious and not waste town inspects and/or lynches on myself. Early claiming also keeps people from calling you out on claiming to avoid a lynch after your scumbuddy got in trouble.
I wouldn't tend to consider miller status rolefishing accusation worthy. Why so coy about this?

Just generally being a coy person and an eagerness to get out of RVS, really. This is probably the worst stage in the game because it doesn't reveal much information unless noobscum cracks under a vote.

@Jim: The movie involved Brad Pitt leading a gang of sociopaths across Nazi Occupied France to commit as many war crimes as possible, and his victims were usually scalped or had swastikas carved into their foreheads. The better part of the group was killed in a bar fight in a basement after a british spy blew their cover by using the English three hand gesture (index, middle, ring) as opposed to the german one (index, middle, thumb) the remainder of the group blows up a movie theater with hitler in it.

So American SKs, or two teams of spies unable to contact each other. But most likely american SKs.
What makes you so sure the reference to the movie at the thread title has anything to do with the presence of SKs, and American ones at that?

Do you have any reason to be coy about claiming? Are you, perhaps, hiding something?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Har har. Why did you answer that question? Just for the joke?

Yes.

Why are you answering questions not directed at you?

For the sake of a joke.

Surely you're not a humorless ball of fury all the time.

OP explicitly states that there are four scum. That's over a third of the players. Why do you think a bunch of spies won't be the most important threat, Jim? Do you think that we are being lied to by the commander?

Because LNCP games are hard teachers and I've learned my lesson. If previous LNCP games are anything to by, blah blah blah I've already said this.

Of course, I could be wrong, and maybe this will be the game where LNCP plays the setup perfectly straight, and there are in fact, only four scum, no other third parties, up against the best Der Fuhrer has to offer.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

Powder Miner, as I recall, you were in a previous LNCP game, so I'm curious why you're questioning people regarding the importance of flavor.
I was in WC2 which I left in the middle of before anything really happened. That said, there's a difference between a meaningful flavor question and, as TolyK put it, a reaction flavor question.

Which is...?

Jim:
Deathsword, do you Heil Hitler every morning, noon, and night?
Why not just ask "Are you scum?" instead?

But I didn't ask you if you were scum. I asked you if you were town.

I guess you forgot that you're supposed to be a Nazi.

I think I'll keep my vote on you.

Jim:  What do you think the scum team is capable of, then?  Any guesses as to the nature of the "real" threat?

I have no idea. Traditionally, LNCP scum teams are weak, so probably not much.

I couldn't even begin to speculate about what the 'real' threat could be.

Given that it helped catch out scum in at least one WC, I don't see it being a bad thing.  I'm certainly not opposed.

Good.

Everyone, if you're a loyal Nazi, prove it. Time to flavor claim.

I am Karl Dunst, 0th SS Division Officer. I specialize in guerrilla warfare and unconventional tactics, and am described in my role PM as MacGuyver before MacGuyver. I approve of Hitler's policies, perhaps with not as much enthusiasm as some of my colleagues and peers. My wild escapades in previous assignments was met with skepticism, until they were verified by scouts sent to previous mission sites, leading to my induction into the 0th SS Division.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Powder Miner, as I recall, you were in a previous LNCP game, so I'm curious why you're questioning people regarding the importance of flavor.
I was in WC2 which I left in the middle of before anything really happened. That said, there's a difference between a meaningful flavor question and, as TolyK put it, a reaction flavor question.

Which is...?
A meaningful flavor question actually reaches into the flavor and analyzing it, asking a question, and determining something about the game from it. A reaction flavor quote is basically taking a flavor piece, throwing it at someone, and hoping they jump.

Unvote because I forgot to earlier and because BMC answered.

I'm Eckehard Baumhauer, an older man who's lackluster on the physical front- but incredible as far as tactics go, hence being put on a noncombat mission such as this one. I had served in WWI, succeeding every strategic mission I was in. When Hitler came to power I joined the SS, and was quickly promoted here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Woah wait, I'm questioning why we're flavor claiming right now. While I can see how...different LNCP's game is, being my first time, I'm wondering why exactly in the first day.

Jim: Is there any reason why you're claiming?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

The logic is that the spies will have different flavor than the Nazis, therefore, if they're trying to make up a cover story, then it should be easier to sniff out when compared to legitimate flavor. Since the flavor is role-irrelevant, it's perfectly safe to claim and does not reveal town power roles, but it has a chance to sniff out fakeclaims when compared to legitimate flavor.

There is no cost to this move, except to the scumteam, which is why it's a good idea.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile

Votecount:
Jim Groovester  - 1 -  Toaster
Tiruin  - 0 - 
Toaster  - 0 - 
Dariush  - 1 -  Hapah
IronyOwl  - 1 -  Shakerag
TolyK  - 0 - 
Powder Miner  - 0 - 
Hapah  - 0 - 
Shakerag  - 0 - 
blackmagechill  - 2 -  IronyOwl, Tiruin
Deathsword  - 1 -  Jim Groovester
-
Not Voting  - 5 -  Dariush, blackmagechill, TolyK, Deathsword, Powder Miner
No Lynch  - 0 - 
-
Extend  - 0 - 
Shorten  - 0 - 

Toaster has been prodded.
blackmagechill has been prodded.
Shakerag has been prodded.
Hapah has been prodded.

The Day will end Monday, 8PM GMT.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Okay then, I'll play I guess. I don't quite see anything wrong with it if we introduce ourselves.
I am Vester Meine Schneider, a 0th SS Division Officer. I believe that the strong should take power. I've worked through the ranks of the SS and was noticed by the Führer. He asked me what I wanted to achieve, to which I replied that the strong should take power - this impressed him enough that he promoted me to the 0th SS. And here I am, helping the strong (such as myself and my nation) to take power.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toaster has been prodded.
blackmagechill has been prodded.
Shakerag has been prodded.
Hapah has been prodded.
Oh dear.

@Jim: Reasonable, but I'm under the assumption that the spies have a coverstory behind their name, though. Trying to see all viewpoints of the idea other than lacking information.

I am Friedrich Gerig, a young Junior Officer in the 0th SS Division. I was born a poor man, knowing the fruits of hardship and toil by my ambition for greathood in the service of the Fatherland. Known to be a fiercely competitive and multitalented lad, I equate success to superiority in skill and might, thus I see most pursuits as a competition in life. Deep inside, I am an ambitious and insecure man, due to the treatment received at an early age, but learned to persevere and work through any hardship. It was this trait that drove me through a formalized education, and led me to service under the Führer's name in the military - The Führer and his commanders have placed me here for they recognize my talent, putting me in an environment that would befit my nature.

Powder Miner: So in short, you say that flavor has a role in questioning, other than what Jim said?

PPE: TolyK.

You just said that and you got yourself in here? Just like that?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

No, I had been working hard and using strengths to excel in the SS divisions. Our Führer personally met me (in his office) and my answer convinced him that I belong in the 0th SS, along with my record.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

My flavour:

I am Ferdinand Meier, 0th SS Division Officer. I am a member of the "old guard", a veteran of WW1 and one of the few soldier kept in the Deutsches Heer during the inter-war period. I was also one of the first members of the SS back when it was just a paramilitary guard for the Nazi party and took part in the creation of the 0th SS Division. Also am a zealous supporter of the Führer and his decisions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

I am Wenzel Christian Freund, 0th SS Division Officer, a renowned sniper and assassin. I joined the military in my 30’s just as the German war machine began rolling out for WWII, finding a position as a sniper in the battlefield. After just a short while, I had one of the largest confirmed-kill lists around, boasting hundreds. This brought me to the attention of SS and soon I was moved into 0th.

LNCP STOP BEING BLIND LIKE WUBA.

HAPAH.

Why are you answering questions not directed at you?
For the sake of a joke.
Oh really? Then pray explain, why the sudden change in attitude? You've never done so in previous games.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile

Sorry for the quick post, weekend. Can get my flavor out, at least.

I am Leo Leopold Schultze, 0th SS Division Officer. I am a natural leader and rallier, and beloved by the men in my command. Whether it was in the military or elsewhere, everyone would instinctively trust me and rely on me for support, and my charisma and personal presence rallied those around me to my cause and served as a powerful voice. Being the eldest son of four children, I was long accustomed to being in the role of nurturer and guardian. In the military, I served as the emotional pillar on which many of your friends – and I made many friends, quickly – would lean on. During missions, I was invariably in charge – the shepherd, leading the flock. My commanders felt threatened by me, and sent me on the most dangerous missions, from which I always returned.

As a last resort, my commanders fabricated a case and reported me to the SS. Himmler himself intervened, and recruited me into the 0th.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tiruin:
Worst stage? Hmm.

So what if 'noobscum' don't crack? What will you do then, BMC? On that note, why specifically the newbies, and why doesn't it reveal much information when it is the foundation of all other dialogue and interaction of a Mafia game?
Noobscum was probably the wrong word, badscum is probably a better choice. And Tir, what would you expect me to do in a mafia game? Look for tells, pressure on those tells, and then get the scum to reveal something incriminating. RVS isn't scum hunting, it's usually stupid questions (or when stupid questions are more likely to appear) that don't gain any real information.

BMC
Tiruin: Is this the game that Hapah's right about you always being scum? Do you think your reputation will influence anyone's voting?

What?

I've a reputation?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think reputation is something to believe in. What will influence others' voting is how you present your case - preferably legible, coherent and with a connection to the game you're playing. Reputation is fluff to me here.

Also, what's that about Hapah?
It's a reference to that BM game where you and Flying Dice were Scum and then you were scum in the next game, which led hapah to joke  about you being scum in that one Roguelike game you and I were in.

snip
The question asked your choice, you answered if you knew commies were present or not. Then you sigh on being a Nazi? Mhmm...Why the sigh?
Playing town isn't as fun as playing scum, especially when there are four members to the scum team, and possibly SKs in a bastardly, "experimental" setup.

And on that note.
So American SKs, or two teams of spies unable to contact each other. But most likely american SKs.
How does America factor in here?
The plot summary here shows they were essentially serial killers and american.

What makes you so sure the reference to the movie at the thread title has anything to do with the presence of SKs, and American ones at that?

Do you have any reason to be coy about claiming? Are you, perhaps, hiding something?
Read the plot summary to the movie up there, it'd fit right into the movie plot. Seriously, google the material if you're wondering how it relates to the game.

And I don't have anything to hide (and I have nothing hidden after I post my flavor claim below), I'm just looking at what could've been interpreted as rolefishing, and it was by me, even if only a little bit.

See, aren't we all glad to be out of RVS and have genuine suspicions?

Anyway, flavor claim below:

I am  Agent Dietrich Waldemar Schmidt, 0th SS Division Officer. I infiltrate enemy camps for information gathering not by stealth or force, but by my natural charms. An ex-diplomat and a Don Juan-esque character, I have been using my skills in persuasion as my trade for the better part of my life. After being able to manipulate the staff at a German Embassy in a strategically significant country to reveal a gigantic amount of military secrets, the Fuhrer realized my important and brought me up to the 0th SS Division.

My mission is to extract a long forgotten artifact or piece of ancient technology in this very forest, although the briefing was very unspecific, and only those in high command have exact knowledge of this object.

@DeathSword: Oh, its oddly coy to be looking for signs of scummy behavior right out of the gate? I'm sorry, I guess I'll go back to asking people about their choices between two horribly flawed thought systems. What is wrong with looking for tells from the first few posts, and what, specifically with that off handed halfucasation (that's a portmanteau of half and accusation that I just made up, for clarity reasons)?

@Tiruin: What qualms do you have with claiming on D1? I'd claim miller early if it was my trait, much to your contempt it would seem. And why do you seem so eager to jump on me for all of the scummy things I've done, like pointing out what seemed like a minor tell, disliking being stuck as a vanilla member of the town (charisma is useless even in mafia it seems), and, and,.....oh wait.

It seems like I always attract waaaay too much stigma on D1.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Noobscum was probably the wrong word, badscum is probably a better choice. And Tir, what would you expect me to do in a mafia game? Look for tells, pressure on those tells, and then get the scum to reveal something incriminating. RVS isn't scum hunting, it's usually stupid questions (or when stupid questions are more likely to appear) that don't gain any real information.
You know, it's quite amusing to watch how you struggle to evade a direct question. Second time I ask, what was rolefishing about asking whether you would claim miller, BMC?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

blackmagechill.

@Tiruin: What qualms do you have with claiming on D1? I'd claim miller early if it was my trait, much to your contempt it would seem. And why do you seem so eager to jump on me for all of the scummy things I've done, like pointing out what seemed like a minor tell, disliking being stuck as a vanilla member of the town (charisma is useless even in mafia it seems), and, and,.....oh wait.

It seems like I always attract waaaay too much stigma on D1.
I call OMGUS.

Read my post first, handsome. What contempt do you see in my post? And what are you talking about by the bolded portions?

Also, how in the nine circles of hell are you thinking up the second portion? Jumpy jumpy there based on a single vote.

In the first day.

snip
The question asked your choice, you answered if you knew commies were present or not. Then you sigh on being a Nazi? Mhmm...Why the sigh?
Playing town isn't as fun as playing scum, especially when there are four members to the scum team, and possibly SKs in a bastardly, "experimental" setup.
Easy for you to say, scumbag. Also easy to only depend on information more than anything else - because you know.

I am  Agent Dietrich Waldemar Schmidt, 0th SS Division Officer. I infiltrate enemy camps for information gathering not by stealth or force, but by my natural charms. An ex-diplomat and a Don Juan-esque character, I have been using my skills in persuasion as my trade for the better part of my life. After being able to manipulate the staff at a German Embassy in a strategically significant country to reveal a gigantic amount of military secrets, the Fuhrer realized my important and brought me up to the 0th SS Division.

My mission is to extract a long forgotten artifact or piece of ancient technology in this very forest, although the briefing was very unspecific, and only those in high command have exact knowledge of this object.

Because this here perfectly explains your presence here. Spy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37