Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: >< Do your dwarves flub storage of candy-strands?  (Read 2314 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
>< Do your dwarves flub storage of candy-strands?
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:27 pm »

So, as the title says. I have a normal cloth stockpile. Then I have one a few levels below, on my candy working level. The normal stockpile above is set to forbid all metal cloth or thread. The candy-strands one below is set to forbid all cloth and thread, except metal thread and metal cloth. In addition, it's set to take from the craftsdwarf workshops that are dedicated to strand extraction on that level, and to give to the smelter thats down there.

And yet, my thrice obsessed with candy dwarves can't resist going down there with a bin of normal cloth from above, stocking the candy thread in it, and taking it back up to the above stockpile.  >:(

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: >< Do your dwarves flub storage of candy-strands?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »

Ooo I haven't seen this happen.  I didn't forbid metal out of the upper storage level, but so far the strands are sitting in the correct stockpile. Sometimes I see weirdness, but a double fail? 

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:02 pm »

Yeah, currently cloth stockpiles are bugged.  They all accept all cloth, so you'll get every type of cloth in every stockpile, or just won't be used at all - a stockpile only accepting metal thread will never get anything placed in it, even if you're swimming in candy thread.

It's rather annoying when your forges are down by the magma sea and your candy stockpile gets filled with -pig tail fiber cloth-.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »

Ooo I haven't seen this happen.  I didn't forbid metal out of the upper storage level, but so far the strands are sitting in the correct stockpile. Sometimes I see weirdness, but a double fail?

Based on Clover's information, it sounds like there isn't much to be done. However, that said, based on what you just said Thiosk, it occurred to me that my dwarves would likely stock the right stockpiles by happenstance, because of which stockpiles are closest to which activities; that is, assuming they're significantly far apart, like say, one near the magma forges, and the other stockpile a couple dozen levels up.

In my case, that fails to happen because while bins are turned on in my upper cloth stockpile, I have bins turned off down in the candy one (it's easier for me to see about how much is there that way, plus who doesnt like to admire what stock of candy they have). So what happens? They store the strands out of a bin in the closest stockpile to where the candy was turned into a strand. Then, with aggressive bin storage being the norm in this version, some over excited dwarf from up stairs realizes that the normal stockpile has a less than full bin sitting in it, with threads down below just waiting to be binned up! Might explain why, in this case, I haven't had my candy stockpile filling with pig tails (though that has happened to me before).

Well, that's my theory anyways. Oh well, guess I'll just have to deal with it for now, till it gets fixed!

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

There are numerous extremely annoying bugs that have been around forever, and this is one of them.  It may be possible to mitigate it by using "take" and "give" on stockpiles, doing "accept from links only", and turning off bins, which probably means using quantum stockpiles.

In case Toady is reading this, some other godawful problems that have existed for a long time are:

The manager will assign a job to a workshop even if the allowed workers in that workshop don't have that labor enabled.  Fixing this problem would be the single largest (presumably easy) improvement that can be made to the game as it currently exists.

Hospital zones still take all the thread and cloth in your fortress.

And these are less bad, or are possible to work around:

It is impossible to create a stockpile for undecorated items.

Elite military often lose this status when being told to stand down after being stationed.

Gypsum bags are indistinguishable from other bags, and so tend to clog up small heavily used stockpiles.

Wells and magma forges won't ever work if you build them before there is liquid underneath.

Captured siege mounts are half animal, half enemy, and the game can't decide which.

Burrows do not appear to work predictable when a dwarf is assigned to more than one, certainly not when all civilians are confined to a burrow.

And then there is the more recent problem involving building a constructed wall near a ramp, which results in a "creature occupying site" interruption, because the mason stands in the place where he's constructing a wall.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »

There are numerous extremely annoying bugs that have been around forever,

and there are bug reports for all of them already. Be useful or be quiet, please.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:41:24 pm »

Wells and magma forges won't ever work if you build them before there is liquid underneath.

Fuck.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:04 am »

The only way I got a strand stockpile work so far, was making one that only accepted things from a dedicated craftshop for strand extraction. Otherwise, IN THE BIN EVERYTHING GOES.

But there's STILL some normal thread in one of the bins down stairs. It's not even enabled, how did those get there!? Fucking dorfs!

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:39 am »

My apologies for derailing the thread earlier.

The only way I got a strand stockpile work so far, was making one that only accepted things from a dedicated craftshop for strand extraction. Otherwise, IN THE BIN EVERYTHING GOES.

But there's STILL some normal thread in one of the bins down stairs. It's not even enabled, how did those get there!? Fucking dorfs!

Whether or not it's enabled doesn't matter, since the game doesn't understand about metal thread in some important way.  Taking from links *should* work unless there is a problem with how bins work.

I do not know whether quantum stockpiling is an aspect of the game that will stay, or whether it is a clever use of mechanics that Toady will get rid of.  But that can remove bins from the equation, and put thread close enough to a central stairwell that it won't be fatal if some ends up in the wrong place.

Beware that dwarfs will dye the blue thread.  That might result in thread going the other way.  I don't know how you are getting plain in with the blue. Maybe you had some thread in the pipeline to the stockpile when you set the options on it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:11 am »

It got worse. They brought two bins of cloth to the stockpile today.
Maybe one beautiful day we'll get adamantine storage working without the need for all this hassle, that can still fail. Somehow.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:12 pm »

There are numerous extremely annoying bugs that have been around forever,

and there are bug reports for all of them already. Be useful or be quiet, please.

And the use of this post was?  Really now, this forum is usually a shining example of how to be a decent person, even on the internet.  Please don't ruin that now.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

Shouldn't it be simple enough to mod a reaction to convert candy boulders into candy wafers? Does anybody ever use candy thread for anything but making wafers?
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:RETARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Shouldn't it be simple enough to mod a reaction to convert candy boulders into candy wafers? Does anybody ever use candy thread for anything but making wafers?

I use it in my hospital.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117366.0
Made By: Hunger

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

I use it in my hospital.

Madness! no wait... Genius!

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:29:43 pm »

I use it in my hospital.

I assume you also plate the halls in gold and feed your dwarves platinum nuggets?
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.
Pages: [1] 2