Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: BYOR 10 - Game Over: Town/Survivor Win  (Read 76696 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 10 - Day 1: WUBA Protocol MAFIA
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »

Think:
Bookthras: What kind of role/power are you most afraid of?

Toaster: One-shot kill, inspect, protect, block. What conditions would you use each in? What contexts would change your answers?

I'd kill if I was relatively sure someone was scum.  Inspect if someone was vocal but unreadable.  Protect if someone claimed a powerful role that I generally trusted.  Block would be someone I didn't trust, but not enough to kill (or, more likely, my kill was already gone.)  The first two would probably be used before the last two.  Near-LYLO situations would make me have to be even more sure on the kill.

Why vote Bookthras instead of me?

Tiruin:  Why are you always scum, including this game?

Irony:  If it was 5p LYLO and your scum partner was being scummy, but there was a single vote from someone not on your team on someone else not on your team, what circumstances would make you bus your scumbuddy instead of go for the hammer on the misvoted person?

Hapah:  I haven't read my role PM as I write this.  What significance does that hold to you?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »

PFP - Is busy with exams. D:

Deathsword: What kind of answer are you expecting from a question like
Think: If you were a jester, how would you get yourself lynched?
And how would it help in finding scum?

Think:
I'm not scum, nor am I always scum: mod shenanigans in the past, probably? You seem to forget when I'm town.  :P

Anyway, Toaster: I've seen you ask this question in many games before this; what do you hope to gain by asking such?

Also,
Hapah:  I haven't read my role PM as I write this.  What significance does that hold to you?
Your role has a factor in writing an intangible question?

penngo009 (web: there are 2 n's): How do you feel, being in a game such as this with your experience and what would you be expecting?

web: Watchers or any other roles that are known to be town are...town, right? Just asking since despite the wincon, a watcher is a town role (as derived from Mafia Scum Wiki//flash mafia)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »

Dariush:  Is quicktopic working for you?

Toaster: Is it just me, or do you always ask queer RVS questions?

penngo009: When's the best time to massclaim in a role-heavy game in your opinion?

zombie urist: If you had to pick one player right now to vanillize (yes, I made that up), who would it be?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

EBWOP: Because quotes are ARGH.

PFP - Is busy with exams. D:

I'm not scum, nor am I always scum: mod shenanigans in the past, probably? You seem to forget when I'm town.  :P

Anyway, Toaster: I've seen you ask this question in many games before this; what do you hope to gain by asking such?

Also,

penngo009 (web: there are 2 n's): How do you feel, being in a game such as this with your experience and what would you be expecting?

web: Watchers or any other roles that are known to be town are...town, right? Just asking since despite the wincon, a watcher is a town role (as derived from Mafia Scum Wiki//flash mafia)

PPE:
Dariush:  Is quicktopic working for you?
What is this?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »

It helps me figure out how whomever I ask such questions think. If you look at pretty much every game I've been in, I always ask at least one question like this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »

This isn't MafiaScum. Watchers are basically Doomspeakers, except not quite.

penngo009

• Bay Watcher
  • <(<_<)><(^_^)><(>_<)><(v_v)><(>_>)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »

Honestly, I'm interested into what abilities that have been concocted, but then I guess everyone is. :P Ive been in a BSER
League Of Legends NA-The Pengo
Just add me if you're up for some LoL.

Steam name- Pengoooo
Yes, exactly that amount of os in my name. Add me if you want to see if we have any of the same games that you'd want to play.

penngo009

• Bay Watcher
  • <(<_<)><(^_^)><(>_<)><(v_v)><(>_>)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »

Okay, it seems I can fail at posting. ANYWAYS adding on to my previous statement. I've been in a BSER before I believe, so I haven't started one of these from scratch before, but it seems like it may been fun.

As for Shakerag I feel like(In my opinion) that mass claiming earlier does a better deal then late. Now I believe that because when people claim what they have done in the night, that it becomes a puzzle of figuring out who is lying, and I feel like that can be a reliable way of finding scum. Now, that isn't saying you can claim what you've done during the night as well.
League Of Legends NA-The Pengo
Just add me if you're up for some LoL.

Steam name- Pengoooo
Yes, exactly that amount of os in my name. Add me if you want to see if we have any of the same games that you'd want to play.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2012, 09:39:14 pm »

zombie urist: If you had to pick one player right now to vanillize (yes, I made that up), who would it be?
Right now? Dunno. Probably you for asking such a shitty question.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:04 pm »

Quote from: ZU
Hapah: How would your play differ if you were a Brother as opposed to an Ally?
With a Brother, you know exactly where to direct all your beneficial actions. He becomes the focus of all your actions. Ally, I think you'd be drifting a little more for the first couple of days until suspicions solidify.

Quote from: DS
Hapah: Would you prefer to have a roleblock or an inspect? Why?
Inspect, definitely. While the results are fallible (I'm guessing you mean Cop-inspect), I still feel it's the stronger action.

Quote from: Toaster
Why didn't you read it? I've got ideas, but another view never hurts.

My first impression is that it's probably a good move, in all reality. Considering that D1 as just about any non-town faction is basically trying to not put your foot in your mouth, not knowing your alignment could, in some ways, be an advantage. Rather unorthodox, though.

But why are you telling me this at all? It seems rather out of character for you; I'd expect something like this from Book. I think you did read it, though I've no clue what you'd have to gain from lying about it.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:34 pm »

Jim: What made you decide to join another game with unpredictable bullshit?

I'm a glutton for it.

I can't get enough unpredictable bullshit. I like losing and having no control over it.

It's like the mafia version of I Wanna Be The Guy, and to a lesser extent, Dwarf Fortress. It's infuriating and addicting.

IronyOwl, what useless RVS questions are you going to ask and to whom, and why them?

Urist Imiknorris, would you like to do my Probability homework?

TolyK, using your powers of prognostication, who is going to be lynched on Day 1 and for what reason?

Toaster, why would you answer RVS questions before you read your role PM?

Think0028, you asked only two people questions. Why are you not hunting scum?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:44 am »

Shakerag:
Toaster: Is it just me, or do you always ask queer RVS questions?

It gets boring asking the same old "Favorite scumteam?" questions.  I like a little variety in my RVS.

Tiruin:

So you blame a mod conspiracy for being scum?  Interesting- an almost paranoid attitude.  Same reason I ask any RVS- to provoke a response that sheds light on the alignment on someone.

Should it?  Shouldn't it?  For me, no.  Scumhunting is scumhunting regardless of my role.  Isn't it for you?

ZU:
Right now? Dunno. Probably you for asking such a shitty question.

So the correct move is to not ask a question at all?

Hapah:  I didn't read it because that's usual practice for me- I usually type out my first post before I read my role PM.  You do get some bonus points, though- I read it before I submitted the post-just not before I wrote what was in it.

Why tell you?  Same thing I told Tiruin- to discern alignment from the responses to it.  Same thing I told Shakerag- to mix up RVS.

Jim
Why wouldn't I?  What benefit would reading it first confer upon me?  The answers aren't going to change.

Why would you knock out a quick and dirty opening post with no real care so you can get back to your homework instead of waiting until you can really think about what you are doing?

Think0028, you asked only two people questions. Why are you not hunting scum?

What is the correct number of people to RVS question in a 14p game?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2012, 12:52:24 am »

No the correct move is to ask good questions.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2012, 03:41:20 am »

Why wouldn't I?  What benefit would reading it first confer upon me?  The answers aren't going to change.

But then you're defeating the purpose of people asking RVS questions to you. At least, if everyone asking you questions had the same reasons as you do, i.e., to get a read on your alignment.

This obviously isn't scummy, since you don't know your alignment, but it isn't townish either. It is merely pointless. You don't even know your win condition yet, so how can you advance it without knowing it?

Why would you knock out a quick and dirty opening post with no real care so you can get back to your homework instead of waiting until you can really think about what you are doing?

Get back to my homework? Please, I haven't even started.

I did put care into the post. Not as much as I would have if this wasn't a game defined by unpredictable bullshit, but that makes it a perfect place to NUKE9.13 it up and do radical shit like not ask the same RVS questions every game.

What is the correct number of people to RVS question in a 14p game?

As many as necessary to get out of the RVS. As we are not out of the RVS yet, Think0028 clearly has not asked enough.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:35 am »

ZU:
No the correct move is to ask good questions.

Which you're not doing either.  What's that say about you?

Jim:
This obviously isn't scummy, since you don't know your alignment, but it isn't townish either. It is merely pointless. You don't even know your win condition yet, so how can you advance it without knowing it?

Pretty much the only possible alignment that might make me change my first post is Jester, or maybe Lyncher.

I did put care into the post. Not as much as I would have if this wasn't a game defined by unpredictable bullshit, but that makes it a perfect place to NUKE9.13 it up and do radical shit like not ask the same RVS questions every game.

You call that post radical?  I call it lazy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40