Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress character viewer  (Read 5215 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress character viewer
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:20:52 pm »

The biggest problem most people have with dwarf fortress is the lack of graphics, and while i myself have a healthy imagination, it is still difficult picturing my hero/dwarves when scrolling back and forth from their description and inventory lists. Toady has enough on his hands with all the updates, so i think the forumers should band together and make a character viewer so that you will be able to somehow export your dwarves into a thing which paints a picture based on what they look like.

Obviously this would be alot of work and i have no idea how to do any of it... im just throwing out the idea, but the potential would be amazing.... for example, having  a permanent picture of your epic hammerer, or that goblin warlord who wouldn't die... adventurers would be especially ecstatic about this since they could easily view their adventurers and immortalize them on the forums.

Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress character viewer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:15:06 pm »

Problems abound, from figuring out how a goblin or a -<<+iron short sword+>>- should look like to accounting for injuries.

However, adding some sort of screen summing up various things--outer layers of clothes and armor on various body parts, major wounds, big scars, hair color, etc--would be nice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »

theoretically, if someone was willing to put in the time, we could get all of that.... since goblins are dwarf sized, it would just be a green dwarf with red eyes, no beard and different shaped ears.... the sword would be tricky, especially determining between levels of quality, but just seeing a dwarf carrying a generic iron sword would be good enough for me.... injuries would be tough, but it all comes down to putting in teh time
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:49 pm »

Problems happen when mods occur...or when, say, Asax happens.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

With vanilla, and assuming you're only using base dorfs this wouldn't be too hard. Just have a picture of a dwarf with a variable color skin, a model for every type of item and a correct placement of item, a color of every time of item, a place for every scar type etc etc. It wouldn't work with randomly generated monsters, and frankly doing more than just dorfs would be a very daunting task.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 04:43:12 pm »

Wouldn't that ruin mods?
And wouldn't that require craptons of code for every little thing that can happen to a dwarf, from missing teeth to scars to artifact golden warhammers to missing fingers to glumprong splints to emerald-dyed pig tail cloaks to gouged eyes to spilt guts to...the list of potential modifiers goes on and on.

And most importantly...wouldn't that deprive us of the utility of imagination? If you play DF without using your imagination, you're missing out.
Sig

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:09:38 pm »

Since you're hoping for forum members to do this, this belongs in the mod forum. It should be possible with DFhack, or with something similar to dwarf therapist. Of course it requires developers. You can probably get help from the mod community on how to interface with DF, but getting other developers to code your idea will be harder.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:08:29 am »

You will also need artists if you want it to actually be nice to look at; and of course the overall tone of the tool's output will be determined by the style of the artist(s) who work on it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:51:35 am »

Seeing how Stonesense depict the animal's fur colours and stuffs, this idea is feasible.
But very hard indeed.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:30 pm »

Yeah. This should be suggested to modders.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3