Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Iran's Currency Implodes  (Read 11429 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Iran's Currency Implodes
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2012, 12:30:29 am »

Also, yes the electoral college really needs to go. It was designed in a time when there wasn't even telegraphs if I remember correctly.
The Morse telegraph was invented in 1837, and the US Constitution was ratified in 1788, so yes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2012, 12:43:10 am »

Thanks MetalSlimeHunt; you're my Commander Spock in this instance. I love it when people do that.

Another thing to think about would be how important mass media would be in a true popular vote. There would probably need to be well written rules governing how money and position and media can influence an election. After all if all everyone knows are lies; then the liar wins.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:00:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2012, 01:01:28 am »

The last three or 4 pages happened because I decided to play devils advocate.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

The last three or 4 pages happened because I decided to play devils advocate.
Now play to win.

Also, how do we know that you just didn't feel like facing the humiliation of defeat but had enough sense to see that you had lost?
Oh, wait, this is the internet. That would be silly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:54:54 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »

At times like these you just post whattrollswantyoutothink and move on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2012, 03:58:09 pm »

We are all aware the President of Iran has no power and therefore any illegality in the voting process is rather irrelevant, correct? A cocker spaniel could steal the election and produce the same results as good old The-Holocaust-Didn't-Happen Mahmoud. The Theocratic council/Republican Guard and the Supreme Ruler are the ones we should be targeting. Not frivolous attempts to 'make voting in Iran fair' by streamlining voting and making it adhere to international standards, because their elected officials have no actual power. That entire concept and line of thought would require an entire reorganization of Iran's government, something the US has a very poor track record in doing.

But then again, that's really not why the US is meddling so much and the hawks are screeching like they are, as stated before the United States doesn't give a damn about the Persian people, and anyone that says otherwise is a fool. We are simply addicted to starting shit with countries. Sometimes they deserve it, other times not. I can see the outcome of this one be similar to when we decided a certain Shah was a good thing to support. Then we've just got a theocracy again thanks to a hijacked revolt.

I'm also convinced we're being pushed so hard because the Evangelicals are really banking on that Iran-Israel apocalypse for Jesus to show up.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:06:57 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:38 pm »

as stated before the United States doesn't give a damn about the Persian people,
I think it's more that the people who speak for the United States don't give a damn about the Persian people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

Come to think of it.

Is it even possible to fake the holocaust? I realise there are a few people (well a lot) of people who say it is a conspiracy... but what would go into actually pulling off something like that?

We do have computer records from the time and documents that could be confirmed to be genuin. I realise that the other evidence has long since been destroyed due to good taste, but that can't be the only measure of authenticity.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:13:39 pm by Neonivek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2012, 04:15:33 pm »

We are all aware the President of Iran has no power and therefore any illegality in the voting process is rather irrelevant, correct? The Theocratic council/Republican Guard and the Supreme Ruler are the ones we should be targeting. Not frivolous attempts to 'make voting in Iran fair' by streamlining voting and making it adhere to international standards, because their elected officials have no actual power.

But then again, that's really not why the US is meddling so much and the hawks are screeching like they are, as stated before the United States doesn't give a damn about the Persian people, and anyone that says otherwise is a fool. We are simply addicted to starting shit with countries. Sometimes they deserve it, other times not. I can see the outcome of this one be similar to when we decided a certain Shah was a good thing to support. Then we've just got a theocracy again thanks to a hijacked revolt.

I'm also convinced we're being pushed so hard because the Evangelicals are really banking on that Iran-Israel apocalypse for Jesus to show up.

oil

oiloiloiloiloiloiloilOILOILOILOILOILOILOILOILOILOILOILOI-

Ahem. My personal opinion is that just about the entire American ruling class has a vested interest in egging the hawks on, since wars and international hostility in general have a tendency to distract the populace from domestic problems~ That's me, though. Could write you a fine paragraph on how terrorism is actually successful since it already managed to replace freedom with security as the number one value in the US and democracies that follow them, but I'll spare this thread the rambling.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

If he had no power then why would they have bothered to rig the office?  The office has a bully pulpit and that gives it a lot of power.  Look no farther then the US.  On paper the president has precisely zero authority to craft legislation.  In practice the White House is the principle driver of the congressional agenda.  Even though in theory there are lots of people who hold power of Ahmadinejad the stature of the office and the way it can induce others to office actually matters quite a bit.  It's not like he's the queen of England where if he speaks about real policy people politely nod their heads.

Furthermore the election of Mousavi would have had the practical effect of greatly weakening the clerical council's powers even though they would have stayed the same on paper.  His popular support would have greatly curtailed their authority over him.  It would have been a fragile situation with analogues to many places throughout history.  It would not just have been "well on paper the clerics can veto him at will."

Anyone who thinks the US is egging people on really hasn't been paying attention.  The Obama administration has gone to great lengths to not call the 2009 elections fraudulent, even after the governing council admitted that they were.  Not every last thing in the world revolves around America.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »

Right, Europe, Asia, and the sun revolve around the world, and the planets revolve around the sun, but the world revolves around America.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »

So, erm, people have been debating a lot about what the Iranian people want, and if economic sanctions or other measures align with those goals. Has someone ever thought about asking, for example, members of the Iranian opposition what they actually want?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

So, erm, people have been debating a lot about what the Iranian people want, and if economic sanctions or other measures align with those goals. Has someone ever thought about asking, for example, members of the Iranian opposition what they actually want?
What a silly idea

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »

Sure. I'll wait till you get back to me on that one.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]