Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (cancelled)  (Read 3535 times)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (cancelled)
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:33:53 am »

Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta

== This game failed to reach the needed number of players, so it has been cancelled. We'll try again some other time ==

SCENE: Earth. Imperial Palace. Emperor Solomon Petresun addresses his court:

Gentlemen, ladies, our instruments have detected an enormous deposit of
ununoctium on the southern hemisphere of ④Vesta. It shouldn't be there. Our science advisors tell us that either there was an unknown recent event that formed it, or an ongoing unknown process that preserves it.

We must have it.

Deciphering the event or the processes at play would greatly expand our understanding of the physics involved, which will inevitably improve our technology, and the ununoctonium itself will be greatly useful to our industry.

You will work to launch a scientific expedition to ④Vesta at once, to investigate, harvest, control, and report. Make sure they are safe of infection from any Cybrid glitches on launch or transit, and most of all, ensure that they don't end up
marooned off that damned rock.

This will be a standard open setup based on GlyphGryph's Cybrid series: Imperials, Rebels, a Cybrid glitch or two, some Officers, no survivors, no double agents, no real surprises. The Emperor may make an appearance in flavour or as the narrator, but will have no in-game impact.

In general, the setup itself is to be as predictable as possible, with the fun coming from the players and the flavour. The list of possible roles and interactions will be made clear on the next post. If anything is unclear, please speak up here or via PM.

The game is intended for nine to twelve players. It will start once we have twelve, or once we have nine or more and there have been no sign ups in say 24-48 hours. In order to sign in, you must have played through a Beginners' Mafia Game. If you haven't, then please look here for BMXXXVII, and sign up there instead.

If you are not familiar with Cybrid Mafia, please take a look at earlier games:
* Cybrid Mafia I, the original
* Cybrid Mafia II, with a strange conclusion
* Cybrid Mafia III, whereby I get to call myself Emperor
* Cybrid Mafia IV, first one not run by GG... I really hope this turns out better
* Cybrid Mafia V, the most fun so far, in my opinion. Epic last minute Rebel save for the win!

Player List
  • Think0028
  • Tiruin
  • ToonyMan
  • Hapah
  • Toaster
  • Jim Groovester
  • kingfisher1112
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:26:50 am by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 0/9-12)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:34:49 am »

General Rules

• Voting: Votes are cast in red and should include the name of the targeted player. Other colors will be ignored, only votes formatted as [ color=red]red[/color] count.
  • Death:When you are dead, you are prohibited from posting in the thread. You may make one single 'bah' post after you die, however, it must not contain any game-related information.
  • PMs: PMs between players are prohibited; roles that may communicate must do so through the moderator who will forward it as appropriate. You may freely PM the Mod to ask game-related questions, however, what the moderator may reveal is limited.
  • Quoting: Do not quote any direct correspondence with the moderator, including role PMs and rule-related queries.
  • Edits: Editing posts is prohibited under penalty of modkill. Do not edit your post for any reason, even if your post comes out as a trainwreck of formatting, spelling, punctuation, and/or grammar. The preview button exists; use it.
  • Replacements/Activity: If you find yourself unable to play, you should request a replacement.
    • Prods will be issued for players who have not posted in the thread within 24 hours, excluding weekends.
    • Two prods will result in a modkill or forced replacement unless justified via PM to the mod.
    • Please be active. I dislike lurking.
  • Day/Night Length: Days will last 72 hours, excluding weekends. Nights will last 24 hours, or until all night actions are received.
  • Extensions/Shortens - A player may vote for an extension to increase the length of the day. It requires >33% of the current number of players to request an extension for an extension to be granted. A player may also vote for a shorten. It requires >50% of the current number of players for a shorten to be granted. Extensions increase day length by 48 hours, while shortens will immediately end the day as soon as possible. There is a limit of four extensions for the entire game.
  • External Participation: While the game is ongoing, if you are not a player, please refrain from posting in the thread.
  • Play to win!

Possible Roles

Imperials
Win Condition: Imperials win if the Cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the rebels, and the rebels have no kill roles remaining.
  • Guaranteed Officer: Imperial Commander: Receives reports from other Officers. Has access to Imperial quick chat, and can invite others at any time. This cannot be undone, and no other avenue for communication exists. Also has access to the Overseer's announcement system to talk during the night. Commanders can not be persuaded by Rebel Persuaders, but can be converted by Cybrid Infiltrators or Parasites. Cannot be a Cybrid Sympathiser.
  • Imperial Officer: Has a role from the list below. Name is known to Commander, and can report actions to them. If converted by a Cybrid they can submit false reports. Imperial Officers can not be persuaded by Rebel Persuaders, but can be converted by Cybrid Infiltrators or Parasites, or may be Cybrid Sympathisers.
  • Enforcer: May perform a vigilante kill once per night.
  • Speaker: Converts another player to the Imperial Alliance unless they are Cybrid or an Officer/Commander. Uninformed of success or failure.
  • Investigator: Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, No Result (if the ability fails, is blocked, or targets a Cybrid).

Rebels
Win Condition: Rebels win if the Cybrid threat is eliminated, they outnumber the imperials, and the imperials have no kill roles remaining.
  • Guaranteed Officer: Rebel Commander: Counts as a Rebel Officer, and can also have one of the roles below. Has access to Rebel quick chat, and can invite others at any time. This cannot be undone, and no other avenue for communication exists. Commanders can not be persuaded by Imperial Speakers, but can be converted by Cybrid Infiltrators or Parasites. Unlike the Imperial Commander, the Rebel Commander does not know whether other Rebel Officers exist or their identities. Cannot be a Cybrid Sympathiser.
  • Rebel Officer: Has a role from the list below. Name is not known to Rebel Commander, and cannot report actions. Rebel Officers cannot be persuaded by Imperial Speakers, but can be converted by Cybrid Infiltrators or Parasites, or may be Cybrid Sympathisers.
  • Organizer: If a fellow rebel uses an ability on them, he learns the identity of that rebel and has the ability to cancel the action.
  • Saboteur: Roleblocker: target can not use any abilities that night or the following day.
  • Persuader: Converts another player to the Rebel Alliance unless they are Cybrid or an Officer. Uninformed of success or failure.
  • Informant: Investigates players. Results are Imperial, Rebel, No Result (if the ability fails, is blocked, or targets a Cybrid).
  • Martyr: Has a suicide vest he can use on a single player by leaping to them and triggering it at any time, day or night. Both the Martyr and the target die when used (if the target is "Healthy", they may survive and their extra health is used up). If used at night, submit as any night action via PM to the Mod; if used by day, say " EXPLODE <TARGET>" in bold. The Martyr and the target are considered dead from that point, and should stop posting (aside from a "bah" post); the Mod will process it as soon as possible. This does not end the day.
  • Snowman: Has access to the Overseer's announcement system.

Additional Human Roles
[May be Rebel or Imperial, may be combined with other roles]
  • Guard: Confines a player to the brig, simultaneously protecting and roleblocking them by saying "GUARD <TARGET>" in bold on the main thread during the day. A guarded player is considered isolated and is thus unaffected by kills or conversions of any kind (Cybrid or Human) and may not take actions, but can still be lynched. This effect lasts until this player specifically says UNGUARD in thread during the day, or as a night action via PM to the Mod ending the guard. It also ends if the ability is ended by outside forces (for example: death or roleblocking of the guard).
  • Doctor: Protects a player from a single night kill or Cybrid conversion attempt per night, but not persuasion by an opposing human faction. Doctors will be informed if they saved a person's life.
  • Companion: Protects a player from persuasion attempts (from Rebel/Imperial only).
  • Weak: Combo-role. This player will die if a Cybrid attempts to convert them. Parasites will be killed, but Infiltrators will not lose the brain they used, they will merely fail.
  • Healthy: Combo-role. This player can survive through a single kill or Cybrid conversion attempt, but not a lynch.
  • Soldier/Civilian: A vanilla Imperial or Rebel, these roles have no real power beyond their voices.
  • Cybrid Sympathizer: An unhinged invidual who supports the Cybrid cause, and counts towards a Cybrid faction victory (not Metagen). He wins if at least one faction Cybrid survives to game end and wins, but not in cases where everyone dies. This player still counts as a Rebel/Imperial when inspected, based on their current superficial alignment, and may have Rebel/Imperial roles.

Cybrids
Win Condition: Except where noted below, Cybrids win when all remaining players are aligned with a Cybrid victory, and all Metagens have been exterminated.
Cybrid Faction Kill: Part of being of Cybrid faction is the ability to perform a nightkill instead of other action. If more than one Cybrid exists on the faction communication channel, then a majority consensus must exist for a faction kill to be performed, otherwise no kill will happen.
Metagens are Cybrids created by defective positronic brains or at game start. They are not aligned with the Cybrid faction, and must seek victory on their own. If created by a defective brain, they will have access to the Cybrid chat and may influence decisions taken there.
Cybrid roles: A Cybrid role will be randomly chosen from a subset of possible roles upon a successful creation or conversion.
  • Machinator//Infiltrator: The only one capable of creating more Cybrids. He has three positronic brains he can use to create other Cybrids. One of those three will create a Metagen (unaligned Cybrid).
  • Inquisitor//Analyzer: Capable of detecting a target's sympathies and abilities. The inquisitor//analyzer will not only reveal a player's alignment, but their entire role - including if they are weak or not.
  • Inquisitor//Duplicator: May see the full role of any killed player. Whenever a player dies, may gain one of that player's abilities. May only have one duplicated ability at a time, and must choose to gain the ability during or immediately after the phase in which the player died. If a Duplicator is created due to a conversion, it may choose to duplicate an ability from that player's original role.
  • Hunter//Killer: Has an independent night kill.
  • Machinator//Ghost: Capable of using the Overseer's intercom system.
  • Hunter//Goad: Immune to actions from other players.
  • Machinator//Parasite: May convert another player into a Machinator//Parasite, being killed in the process.
  • Redactor//Reprogrammer: Each day, may reprogram another Cybrid unit to randomly change their role. If this is attempted against a Metagen, his existence is revealed and the Reprogrammer unit is destroyed.
  • Metagen//Traitor: Survivor. Does not count as scum for Imperial/Rebel win conditions. Wins if the game ends with a human victory and he is still alive. May be paired with another Cybrid role. If created via a defective positronic brain of a Machinator//Infiltrator, will have access to the Cybrid faction communication channel and will have input on the decision for the faction kill, but will not be aligned with them.
  • Metagen//Defective: Serial killer. Can execute an independent nightly kill. Wins only if it is the last entity standing. May be paired with another cybrid role. If created via a defective positronic brain of a Machinator//Infiltrator, will have access to the Cybrid faction communication channel and will have input on the decision for the faction kill, but will not be aligned with them. Their independent night kill must be confirmed via PM to the Mod.

Additional Rules:
Action type order:
Chat invites (free action) -> Guards (day thread action or night PM) -> Blocks -> Protects -> Investigates -> Converts -> Kills
Actions occur simultaneously except in situations, like converts, where order matters, in which case order will be random.
Blocks against blockers do not block blocks.

Players can have several role attributes. Some, like Healthy, Weak, and Rebel Commander will always have another role attached to them. Several other compound roles are possible for balance purposes.

The Cybrids have a standard mafia night kill they can use in place of their regular action (with the exceptions of passive or use whenever actions like the Duplicator, Goad, and Ghost). If an aligned Hunter/Killer uses a standard night kill, it becomes a double kill (or if there's another aligned Cybrid around, they can target two people.)

For the Cybrid Faction Kill, consensus is needed for the action: "Bert kills Ernie, yea or nay?" if more yeas than nays, it happens, otherwise it doesn't (person proposing it counts as "yea" for his proposal, silence equals abstention) if no consensus is reached 24 hours after the night has started, no action takes place. The consensus may compel a faction Cybrid to act against his will (such are the perils of being a glitch): in the example, if there were "yea" majority, Bert will execute a kill on Ernie, even if Bert voted "nay" or if he'd prefer a different target. Secret Metagens in the Cybrid channel may participate, and if consensus is for them to perform an action, it will be so noted, but as they are not truly in the faction, they are not compelled and may override the action via PM to the Mod.

Imperial Officers MUST say via PM to the Mod the results they would like to report to the Imperial Commander, in the format "I (verbed) (player) and he/she is (Imperial/Cybrid/Rebel/dead/blocked)." If they do not, their true report will be sent, none if none exist.

Speakers and Persuaders can convert each other (if not Officers). If they do, the other player becomes a Speaker/Persuader, as appropriate, rather than maintaining their original roles. (Whatever they do, they do it with full passion!) Converting a Cybrid sympathiser will change his superficial alignment (how he appears on investigates) but will not change his sympathiser status or win conditions.

PMs between players are not allowed. Any communication, like sending chat invites and reporting results, must go through the Mod. So do not send them to your intended recipient: send them to me, along with instructions on who I should pass it to.

For Earth!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:07:06 pm by Bookthras »
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:51 am »

[[Clarifications, update log and other miscellaneous items]]

* The game is by deadlines only, there are no hammers (like Paranormal).
* The possible day actions are 1) the Rebel Martyr or 2) the [either human faction] Guard, who must say on thread their action and target, bolded; or 3) the Cybrid Redactor//Reprogrammer who must send it by PM to the Mod.
* Edited rules post for clarity on Doctors, Guards and Martyrs.
* Inspired by BYOC, unless there are objections we will try here that "Limited Extensions per Game" thing instead of per game day. I propose we have a total of four extensions available for the entire game, each extends the day 48 hours (not counting weekends).
* Added clarification on "consensus" for the Cybrid faction kill as per discussion with GG. Discussion after the game is encouraged to find a better way to handle it (or bless this way). Also added missing GG credit to first post (I can't believe I forgot that, sorry!)

Please say if anything else requires clarification, and I'll add it here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:10:10 pm by Bookthras »

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:13:15 am »

Gee, wonder if I should in on this. It sure is a tough question.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 1/9-12)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:41 am »

In, hoping I don't play poorly again.

^ Still possible?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 1/9-12)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:46 am »

I don't even remember if I was in a Beginner Mafia.  Regardless, I shall in and win again.

It's Cybrid.  I always win unless everybody loses.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 3/9-12)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:30 am »

I've wanted to be in a Cybrid game for some time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 3/9-12)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

In.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 5/9-12)
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:14:10 am »

Awesome! Glad to see someone give this a go. Hope it goes well. ^_^

However -
Not sure I like the changes to the way the cybrid faction kill works (before it was consensus on who would use the kill, not who would be killed, though those were often one and the same). How is it determined who conducts the kill?

Anyways, sorry, it sounds good, this isn't the place for rules discussion, despite that being my favorite part. I look forward to watching. Also, I hope the stuff represents alien tech! I never did get to do much with the alien caches and alien tech that kicked off the whole rebellion thing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:30:13 am by GlyphGryph »

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:43 am »

Awesome! Glad to see someone give this a go. Hope it goes well. ^_^
Me too! Thanks for the blessing!

Not sure I like the changes to the way the cybrid faction kill works (before it was consensus on who would use the kill, not who would be killed, though those were often one and the same). How is it determined who conducts the kill?

Anyways, sorry, it sounds good, this isn't the place for rules discussion, despite that being my favorite part. I look forward to watching.
Right, it's currently not clear. I'll reword.

In principle the consensus is for the action: "Bert kills Ernie, yea or nay?" if more yeas than nays, it happens, otherwise it doesn't (person proposing it counts as "yea" for his proposal, silence equals abstention) if no consensus is reached 24 hours after the night has started, no action takes place. It's probably not optimal, but my attempts at a more detailed discussion before the game didn't get traction, so this is the way it will be for this round.

If there's a better way (say "I kill tonight, yea or nay?" and if yea, the person who said it can kill whoever they want, or some other variant) we'll explore them and adjust for the next round -- I'd hate to make substantive rule changes for this round at this point, and yes, discussion should be had but elsewhere.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »

I'm out of games, so surely I'll in this one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 6/9-12)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:20 pm »

In, since I think it's high time I actually played one of these.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia VI: Marooned Off Vesta (SIGNUPS 7/9-12)
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »

Full disclosure:  I'll be out of town Thursday/Friday, so if the game starts then I'll be late to the party.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »

Hmm... this is taking longer than expected to fill up. If it doesn't achieve critical mass by, say, the end of the week, then I'll conclude it's not the right time for it, and we'll cancel and try again at some other time.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 07:29:15 am »

Do you think this game would be alright for a noob like me?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13
Pages: [1] 2