Yes
- 9 (50%)
No
- 2 (11.1%)
Maybe so
- 7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Choose Your Own Adventure: Adventure Mode  (Read 9782 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Choose Your Own Adventure: Adventure Mode
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »

I don't know if this belongs here or Adventure Mode Discussion, but I don't think it's out of place in either so I'll put it here. I know this has done before, but I don't see a choose your own adventure thread going on currently, so here I am. How this will work is, I will provide an event with a series of choices for you all to vote on, deciding what our hero does. In addition to the choices I provide will be the option for you to suggest your own action, which can then be voted for. Whatever choice receives the most votes will be enacted by me in adventure mode, and the story will progress. Also just as a note, this is going to be story and role-play oriented. If you notice I don't do something the "right" way or as efficiently as I could have, just realize that I'm not metagaming (hence some of the odd stat choices). Also I realize that the page numbers wouldn't really make sense if this were a real choose your own adventure book. I don't care.

Page 1
Before you go off on your exciting adventure of risk, danger, theft, extortion, murder, etc you must decide who you are.

If you are...

A female human farmer who, due to extreme incompetence and failure to meet quotas, had your rented land revoked by its landlord. Without your land (which included your shack, dog, prickleberry farm, and +Oaken Throne+) your are left with basically no skills and only the clothes on your back, a hunting knife, your family heirloom sword (which you have only even held less then a dozen times), and enough provisions to keep you comfortably alive for a few days. Your years of working the plow have built up your upper body strength and made you fairly tough, and the numerous fights you've gotten into at the local tavern have given you some experience with fighting. Although you aren't the shiniest arrow in the kobold (and are completely illiterate like most peasants), you find it easy to charm people (excluding your landlord) with your general friendly demeanor. Turn to page 2.

A male elvish outsider who is completely in love with the forest. Even your home forest retreat was too civilized for you, so you set off with only your loincloth, quiver of ethically wooden arrows, and bow into the brush to live a life of solitude and peace. You vowed never to harm an animal or plant of the forest, even if starving. This by no means makes you a pacifist however; you despise goblins and dwarves for their harsh industry and disregard for nature, and would show no remorse after killing them. You would also kill unnatural beasts such as trolls, bronze collosi, and dragons, but only if you had a justified reason or were attacked (you wouldn't, for example, go murder a family of giants just because some human farmer sent you on an errand to). You generally get along with human rangers and outsiders, but don't usually associate with any other humans unless necessary. Obviously you enjoy the company of elves the best out of the two races you deem civilized, but your fondness for either does not compete with your love of the forest. You are extremely agile and stealthy, but do not possess much raw strength. You find it difficult to communicate with people, but you posses a large capacity to empathize with humans, elves, and animals. You are an excellent shot with he bow, although you have only ever yours in target practice and once against a dwarven child (you were very hungry, otherwise you wouldn't have eaten that foul morsel). Turn to page 3.

A male dwarf. Ever since the day you arrived on the doorstep of the mountainhome of the Bulbous Girders in a mysterious ☼elf bone basket☼, you have been perfect at nearly everything you tried your hand at. Whether it be music, mining, cheesemaking, or anything in between, you did it so well that rumors began to start that you were no ordinary dwarf. That combined with your mysterious arrival caused dwarves to naturally draw the correlation between you and their dark god Ifin. It was prophesied that Ifin (the master of suicide, death, and war whose earthly form is said to be an animated skeleton) would father a child with a mortal dwarf, and that this child would at first be a great benefit to dwarf-kind, but eventually would realize his or her power and bring about the destruction of them all. Due to their superstitions and mass hysteria, the dwarves of the Bulbous Girders formed a huge mob and chased you out your home. You accepted your fate and did not fight them (although you easily could have defeated a good portion of the mob), and began wandering the world searching for a purpose. Turn to Page 4.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:49:58 am by MrWillsauce »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Your Own Adventure: Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »

Alright will be doing an update soon. You've got about an hour left to vote.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:12:46 pm by MrWillsauce »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:34:31 pm »

Page 4

You are Libash Dikemachine, the incredibly handsome and fit young axedwarf from the Bulbous Girders. Not knowing anything about the outside world (the dwarves are a xenophobic bunch), you've been wandering blindly for over a month after being chased out of your home. You finally found a man-made dirt road and followed it north, passing by human farmers and fields. You've made it to the human hamlet of Sweetnessgraves, a settlement consisting of only cottages and shacks, the road, and many prickleberry farms.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

If you...

Wait until dusk to break into human homes and steal their prickleberries, turn to page 5.

Ask the folks around town about the surrounding area, turn to page 6.

Make it known that you are a great warrior and demand a dangerous quest, turn to page 7.

Try to recruit a few armed humans to journey with you, turn to page 8.

Continue traveling on the road without bothering with the hamlet, turn to page 9.

Start a fight with toughest looking bloke in the hamlet, turn to page 10.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:18:43 pm by MrWillsauce »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

Page 7
You walk into the nearest cottage and greet the farmer, Pado Bravemute. After a bit of small talk about her work and nonexistent family, you display your hairy dwarven biceps and demand a quest worthy of your combat prowess. At first she seems more annoyed by your arrogant remarks then impressed, but she appears to take you more seriously when she recognizes the crest on your iron shield. It seems the ruthless elite axedwarves of Bulbous Girders have been heard of even in this far off alien village. She speaks to you now with respect (and a dash of fear) and tells you of a great beast that has been troubling Sweetnessgraves for some time: Metalfrightful the giant lion. She states that the beast lives in a lair not far to the east and mentions that the beast has killed someone in the past (she refuses to elaborate on who this person was; you suspect this is because he or she had some sort of intimate relationship with Pado). You promise to rid the hamlet of this menace and rush out the wooden door without saying another word. You can sense the human farmer shake her head in bewilderment behind you as she closes the door.

You travel to the east until you hit a river. It should be easy to cross with your swimming skills, but you stop a moment to rest and look around. The paper you marked Pado's directions on states that the lair is almost directly east of your position, but through your observations of the outlying region you discovered some sort of castle off to the southeast. Further squinting tells you that the structure's architecture looks very similar to that of the human fortresses depicted in the engravings on the walls of your mountainhome.

If you...

Continue onward towards the beast's lair, turn to page 11.

Make a detour and go investigate the fortress, turn to page 12.

Wander the wilderness for a bit, hunting and foraging to bring up food supplies, turn to page 13.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:19:04 pm by MrWillsauce »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:45 pm »

Page 12
You swim through the river and emerge on the other side. After traveling for a little over two hours, you arrive at the entrance to the cryolite brick human fortress. Inside you find several human soldiers garrisoned in the courtyard and atop the many archer towers (you scoff at the placement of melee soldiers atop these towers and the presence of many archers and crossbowmen in the courtyard). At the southeastern corner of the fortress is a tower taller than all of those along the wall, which you know is traditionally where the humans house their nobles, and servants thereof.

If you...

Invite as many of the soldiers who are willing to lend an ear to join you on your quest before setting off to the lion's lair, turn to page 14.

Stealthily snoop around the main tower searching for unattended treasure hoards, turn to page 15.

Boldly barge into the tower's front doors and stomp around looking for someone important to talk to, turn to page 16.

Continue on to the lion's den without mucking about with the one-and-a-halflings, turn to page 17.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:28:00 pm by MrWillsauce »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:33:28 pm »

Page 15
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »

Page 15
As luck would have it, you locate a treasure room occupied only by a sleeping human child. You find a copper crossbow and strap it to your back, and stuff twenty-five finely-crafted silver arrows into your backpack. Finally, you locate the greatest prize of the hoard. You pick up a huge expertly cut smoky quartz cabochon and hold it in your hand, just staring at it for what seems like hours. You are interrupted by the sound of footsteps against the a stone floor and spot the pale legs of an obviously important woman, clad with expensive rope-reed socks and shoes. You dive into a pile of wooden chests and woven bags and try to hide there, watching as the beautiful lady wakes the child and talks to him in a commanding tone until he leaves. Neither seem to have noticed you. The lady turns to a treasure pile opposite yours and begins rifling through it with her back to you.

If you...

Sneak up behind the lady and bash her upside the back of her head with the pommel of your axe, then take the jewelry off her corpse and take the rest of the valuables from the treasure room before running the Hell out of the fortress, turn to page 18.

Hide all of the stolen goods well in your backpack, then try to sneak back up the stairs and descend again, acting as if you had never entered before, and talk to the lady, turn to page 19.

Sneak out of the treasure room and continue exploring the main tower, turn to page 20.

Sneak out of the treasure room and exit the main tower, turn to page 21.

I've decommissioned the poll for now, so just post your vote as a reply.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:01:04 pm by MrWillsauce »

Ship of Freaks

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Matilda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 02:04:30 pm »

page 19
They are all one and the same. They are all Grek.

Eastep

• Bay Watcher
  • Puppysicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:23:07 pm »

Excellent work so far with the CYOA!
I say page twenty though!
Forgotten Beasts just want to be loved!

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »

Page 19
You successfully wriggle out from beneath the pile of valuables without alerting the human, and ascend the stone steps quietly. When you return moments later, the lady doesn't seem to have moved at all from the position you left her in. Despite the fact that you are not sneaking (and in fact are making quite a bit of noise, being a dwarf) she still doesn't notice you until you clear your throat loudly. At first she is alarmed to see a strange dwarf inside her treasure room, but calms down when you show her your shield and explain to her your quest. You feign interest as she drawls on about her children family, and you feign sympathy when she mentions her husband of seven years, Egush Searthunders, was killed by goblins in a dark fortress called SpeakHated. You offer to avenge his death, or indeed to help her and her kingdom in any way you can, but she just scoffs at the offer. You struggle to keep your composure as you change the subject to the surrounding area. You learn of the former lair of a dead troll to the northwest, the site of dragon-rabbit conflict (how anybody knows or why anybody cares about this is a mystery to you, but you do not question aloud the strange customs of these humans), the dwelling place of  a foul ettin to the northwest, along with five different bandit camps in various places to the north. You silently mark these places on your makeshift map as she talks. You bid a polite adieu to the lady and give her a low bow (which isn't hard for a dwarf) and ascend the stairs out of her vault. 

You decide to take one last peek around the main tower before embarking on your journey. At the highest level of the tower you make a sickening discovery: a poor goblin chained and enslaved, being forced to dance for the entertainment of a human peasant (a bit ironic since the human was obviously a servant himself of the lady). Back at the mountainhomes, you observed and participated in the deaths of many goblins, but you respected their spirits as warriors and would never degrade them in this way.

If you...

Slash the goblin's bonds and challenge him to a duel, giving him the chance to die a warrior's death, turn to page 22.

Slash the goblin's bonds and invite him to journey with you, challenging the human peasant to try and stop you, turn to page 23.

Hold your head down in shame and act as if you saw nothing and leave the tower, turn to page 24.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:45:23 pm by MrWillsauce »

Ship of Freaks

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Matilda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »

page 22
They are all one and the same. They are all Grek.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:32:47 pm »

page 23
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:44 am »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »

Page 23
You interrupt the miserable goblin's dancing with a commanding "what in the Circus is going on here?". The human becomes very embarrassed as he struggles to stammer out an excuse, and becomes absolutely terrified as he sees the huge battleaxe in your hand. "Get the your arse out of here!" you shout at him as he runs out the door. To the goblin you say "I offer you a chance at escape from the oppression of these wretched perverts. whatever the humans have imprisoned you for is of not interest to me. As long as you proceed to live a virtuous life and fight loyally by my side, I will consider your sins absolved and allow you to travel with me as an equal". The goblin looks like a dwarf who just won the booze lottery, staring at you dumbfounded. After he comes to, he holds out a long lime-colored hand (he actually holds them both out because they are tied together, but you understand the gesture) and introduces himself as "Amxu Hexsoots, engineer. I'll gladly except that proposition!". You swing your axe down expertly between his wrists, freeing him without injury. You two boldly walk out of the fortress with your heads held high as the many soldiers stare in confusion, but hesitate to stop you out of fear. "Wait a second Libash, I've got something that'll aid us" says Amxu as he dissapears behind a tree for a few minutes. When he returns, he holds in his hand a foul smelling iron carving knife. You grimace.

If you...

Continue onward to the lion's den, turn to page 25.

Return to Sweetnessgraves, turn to page 26.

Seek out the nearest bandit camp to the north, turn to page 27.

Journey to the other rural human settlement to the southeast, turn to page 28.

Spend some time hunting with Amxu to test his abilities and gain more provisions, turn to 29.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:24:50 pm by MrWillsauce »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6