Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Vector based font  (Read 7800 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Vector based font
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

so that you can scale up the font size and not have it look choppy
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Vector based font
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:36:07 pm »

That seems overly complicated and like it would make it harder to modify new tilesets.

Besides, DF has ASCII-style graphics; if you're here for the graphics, you're in the wrong place.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:38:07 pm »

That seems overly complicated and like it would make it harder to modify new tilesets.

Besides, DF has ASCII-style graphics; if you're here for the graphics, you're in the wrong place.

Try zooming. It looks really, really bad.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »

Try zooming. It looks really, really bad.

How often do you zoom? I almost never do.
Besides, that fails to address my concerns.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:08:52 am »

Actually, that doesn't have to, as most vector styles support bitmap embedding. It would also benefit how tiles are recoloured, as you can make it to recolour a shape rather than a general colour.
That's a cockblock argument. Especcially when it's in the core goals to have better graphics support for Dwarf Fortress.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

TrueType fonts are vector based. So you could find a suitable font and use it with DF.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »

Vector-based tilesets would be a great idea, except tiles are normally displayed at a pretty small size, between 8x8 and 24x24 pixels or so. Vector graphics that are rasterized to such sizes are generally going to look much worse than hand-drawn raster graphics.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:37 pm »

I barely understand what vector-based graphics are, but I'd bet Urists to unicorns that it's easier to modify images like the current graphics use than vector-based graphics, which would solve a rare and specific problem and cause other issues...not to mention that any kind of graphics would be pretty darn hard to mod with vectors...
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »

I barely understand what vector-based graphics are, but I'd bet Urists to unicorns that it's easier to modify images like the current graphics use than vector-based graphics, which would solve a rare and specific problem and cause other issues...not to mention that any kind of graphics would be pretty darn hard to mod with vectors...

It would mean nothing to modders, since graphics can be vectorized pretty easily.

Besides that, it's not exactly a rare problem. Zooming looks like shit as of now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »

It would mean nothing to modders, since graphics can be vectorized pretty easily.

Besides that, it's not exactly a rare problem. Zooming looks like shit as of now.
I have no idea how to make a vectorized, say, dwarf picture or &. Obviously, others probably have the same problem.
And I can honestly say that zooming has never bugged me.
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:10 pm »

...Pretty sure that bitmap graphics can be vectorized/be displayed as vectors by the program itself, so it shouldn't really hurt modding, either.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:27 pm »

...Pretty sure that bitmap graphics can be vectorized/be displayed as vectors by the program itself, so it shouldn't really hurt modding, either.
...Really? Huh, there goes that argument. Alright, if Toady can do that, sure.
Sig

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »

I'm confused by this statement. What is the point of vectorizing a bitmap, just to have it rasterized again for display?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:10 pm »

I'm confused by this statement. What is the point of vectorizing a bitmap, just to have it rasterized again for display?
There isn't one, generally. (The only possible gain would be if the vectorizor did a better job then the standard rescaler, which is at least semi-plausible as a "normal" rescaler cannot afford to take as much processing time as a vectorizor.) However, it opens the door to those people wanting to do "proper" vectorized tilesets.
(In other words, it would help those modders / tileset creators who could make vectorized tilesets, but, in the worse case, would not hurt those who couldn't.)

Also, as King Mir said, Truetype fonts are vectorized, so this is already in the game.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »

There's a difference between vectorizing letters, something Toady didn't even do BTW, IIRC, and vectorizing EVERYTHING.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6