Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gauging Interest  (Read 1001 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gauging Interest
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:10:13 am »

Not sure if this is really a succession fort pitch per se. See, something that always bothers me when I play is I like to name all my people. While I have some friends on an IRC, sometimes they're too wrapped up in... non-DF stuff to offer to be named. And sometimes I run out of video game character names - or when I keep getting 20-30 migrants each season.

So as I was working on Voile Fortress, I thought, "Hey, maybe a community fort type thingymabob?", it could at least provide me a pool of names to use and all that. While I'm not against a succession fortress, I'm unsure how many people are up to writing one about something NOT dorfs, as the mod uses Koakuma instead.

I'm at work now, so I can't really say what kind of embark it'll be at the moment. But probably something not too friendly, maybe not evil but maybe. Possibly a volcano, if I can find a nice one that doesn't completely make the place a mess. My playstyle tends to aboveground fortresses/castles/towns, whatever you wanna call it, but if we do succession you're welcome to start carving out more underground of course.

The mod will be my own, Voile Fortress, which aside from adding in the Koakuma civ and some stuff for them, is largely vanilla content.

Oh right, as an aside, I can't promise in a succession fort that I'll hand it off in a "good" state. I have a bad habit of getting so wrapped up in making the fortress, I forget to make those little, unimportant things... like bedrooms and dining halls...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging Interest
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:26:43 am »

If it has a phoebus tileset, I'm interested.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:18 pm »

If it has a phoebus tileset, I'm interested.

Yup Phoebus. It's my personal favorite.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »

Sounds good. Is that new race a surprise enemy, or they are replacing dwarves as the playable race?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »

Sounds good. Is that new race a surprise enemy, or they are replacing dwarves as the playable race?

Replaces dwarves as the playable. Although, offhand, the mod should work fine if you just took Koakuma and removed the playable token, but that's slightly besides the point.

They're meh baby ;_; (and by that I mean my terrible, terrible experiment). Playwise, they're basically the same as dwarves. But they can't use cotton candy and have weaker steel. Still working on other features.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »

Sounds neat.

Will you be killing unnamed dwarves?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »

Sounds neat.

Will you be killing unnamed dwarves?

I should not have a reason to do so myself. Now, if it was a succession fort, I can't say what would happen. Offhand, when genning a world I did find an embark - with a volcano - that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have saved a copy of it for... possible use.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:38 pm »

Sounds good, what are the details? Biome? Neighbours?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:46:32 am »

Sounds good, what are the details? Biome? Neighbours?

Normal neighbors, so just humans, elves, gobbos, dorfs, that sort of thing. No standing wars with any of them. The biomes are a cold Shrubland and cold Mountain, both Wildernesses.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:29:41 am »

Posting to watch. This could be amusing.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 06:38:53 am »

Posting to watch. This could be amusing.
-J-

Those are always the most fun, aren't they? I'm still kind of thinking between it being a succession fort, or just a fort I try and write a story and stuff around.