Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UFO: Extraterrestrials, how is it?  (Read 5093 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Extraterrestrials, how is it?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:06:17 pm »

Though be warned, Apoc is known for having one of the worst endings in PC-gaming history.
Wha? It wasn't that bad. I mean, the cinematic was sorta weird and cheesy, but the actual ending seemed reasonable. Or do you mean like the end-game missions? Either way, I've seen much worse.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »

Yeah... if anything the ending of Apoc was actually quite disturbing and creepy...

Well one of the endings... I am not sure how accurate it was because it was in a letsplay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 02:59:55 pm »

Yeah... if anything the ending of Apoc was actually quite disturbing and creepy...

Well one of the endings... I am not sure how accurate it was because it was in a letsplay.

I'm pretty sure there was only one possible ending.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »

Too bad because it was actually probably a better ending then in concept... if VERY VERY creepy.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:40 pm »

I thought resorting to use of bioweapons and defending an already horribly disfunctional society was creepy enough. Although I guess what you describe would be the icing on the cake.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 04:27:49 pm »

Apoc is a great game but I can't say it's the best of the lot. Easily the original for that for me, especially with XCOMUtil so there is an actual difficulty, and not like TFTD where it's like superhuman on easiest.

One thing I loved about the original was the difficulty was sort of sinuous, starts hard, then sort of goes down and up and difficulty as you research tech and then when new aliens with new tech starts attacking.

Apoc starts incredibly easy but can decide to throw you off the deep end if you do really well at the start, but if you play sort of average player style so your not farming for loot or xp then the game is pretty easy even on superhuman, but yeah raiding corps is bad if you do it a lot, not because of making them angry but the game ramping up the difficulty so battleships start coming out before you even get a hawk air warrior and cloaked aliens with devestator cannons and vortex mines ruining your day.

If Apoc has more time and money thrown at it though it would have been an amazing game.

pazuzu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

I haven't played it in years, but supposedly Karadoc's mod fixes alot of these balance issues.  The Megapol mod might also be interesting.
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/x-com-apocalypse/mods/

It is funny you gave props to Interceptor but not Enforcer.  Enforcer was just such a shitty and pointless DOOM-clone.

wow Apoc mods! I never even thought.
Thx dude, i'm gonna have to give em a go.

And lol @ enforcer.  It and interceptor had nothing in common. It was just trash.
Pages: 1 [2]