Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 81939 times)

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 02:12:53 am »

What... the... fuck?

I've never seen this "passes right through" before, on anything.

I've only seen this in combat with zombies before.  If my marksdwarves are shooting at, say, a reanimated head, there'll be a lot of messages to the effect that the bolt hits the reanimated head in the lower body, but passes right through.  It's clunky, but it makes sense that a bolt would pass through a non-existent body part.  But the thing with the cat was definitely weird.

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:15 am »

ok i'm being completely nub and can't get this set up.
Can someone throw up a screen shot or something please?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:23 am »

I think the simple design is:

1. channel a 1x2 hole in the ground, so that there are ramps in the bottom. Or construct it to be like this.

2. build a 1x2 retracting bridge at the bottom of the hole. You might have to dig a temporary access hole next to the hole before they will build this - put a wall or door there afterwards.

3. make a lever linked to the bridge.

4. fill the 1x2 pit with ideally coins (you have to split them up) or seeds (no need to split, but will need armor etc)

5. station people in the pit, have another guy repeat pull the lever.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:15:25 am by Reelya »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2012, 06:29:39 am »

I do a 4x4 with two 2x4 bridges.  So they don't stand on each other.  Which blocks impacts for some reason.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2012, 06:36:39 am »

dwarves are tracked with a "stack" data structure in the tile, to speed up collision checking, the game only has to check the top of the stack to see if there is a dwarf there. Obviously items could be checked to see if they collided with all creatures in the tile, but this would chew up FPS and bloat the code.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2012, 09:03:09 am »

Does this have much of an FPS effect?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2012, 09:18:26 am »

This training trick? probably a bit, but it looks like a good fast way to speed up training.

Any FPS slow down will cease as soon as you stop pulling the lever though. It'd be a hell of a lot quicker than a danger room though, since any dwarf can be hit with 100's of coins per lever pull vs 10 training spears.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2012, 09:49:51 am »

Does this have much of an FPS effect?

My fort is struggling along at about 10 FPS to begin with.  With approximately 6000 coins, there's a noticeable brief pause when I pull the lever.  I'd say less than a second.  But I'm already looking at noticeable brief pauses when I do anything.  Armok's beard, I gotta go on a cleaning spree to get this place moving again.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2012, 10:17:43 am »

Just started a new fort, been watching this thread for a while now, and have been inspired to try it out.

My 2 speardwarves should be pretty well off after this

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »

What... the... fuck?

I've never seen this "passes right through" before, on anything.

I've only seen this in combat with zombies before.  If my marksdwarves are shooting at, say, a reanimated head, there'll be a lot of messages to the effect that the bolt hits the reanimated head in the lower body, but passes right through.  It's clunky, but it makes sense that a bolt would pass through a non-existent body part.  But the thing with the cat was definitely weird.

It also occurs with Iron Men when they have a wound (hole) to part of their iron and the gas has already escaped. If an attack lands on the existing wound, it doesn't make contact with anything and passes right through. This shouldn't happen with organic creatures/tissues, unless the coins are so tiny that they pass through like Neutrinos.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:14 am »

For citizen training, why not make the channeled Coin Star portion a very short hallway, with ramps on both sides, that is the main hallway leading to the dining room?  And then use pressure plates to have the bridges extend and retract as citizens enter the Coin Star?

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2012, 11:05:24 am »

In an effort to automatically put all of my dwarfs through coinstar training, I set up a coinstar operation in a statue garden, with the bridge connected to a repeater.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After a few minutes, it seemed to be going well.  Multiple idle dwarves were hanging out in the coinstar, being pelted with coins.  Each time the coinstar fires, only one dwarf in each square actually gets hit, so only two dwarves get the benefit of the training at a time, but it still seemed promising that over the course of months or years this would result in a substantial boost to the stats of my dwarves.  Nonetheless, I was worried that eventually someone would drop something inappropriate in there.

It took a few days, but they did.  It seems someone discarded a cloth hat and glove in there.  Shortly thereafter, one of my top weaponsmiths caught a cap to the gut, and took a minor, but real, injury.   I've shut this back down until I figure out if there's a way around this.

I'm having trouble thinking of a way to prevent dwarves from littering various potentially deadly objects into an unattended automated coinstar.  I'm just glad that it was a cloth cap, and not a barrel of dwarven ale, or a steel breastplate or the like.  It seems like a retracting bridge based model is always going to have the possibility of accumulating other larger, more deadly items.  Something involving a minecart that dwarves load by hand could ensure collecting only appropriate items, but would turn into a huge sink of dwarfpower, and presumably operate much more slowly.  Anyone have an idea for how to safely run this unsupervised without requiring dwarves to individually haul each coin?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:11:49 am by nbp »

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »

Ok, further experimentation with an auto-coinstar.  I've placed a statue garden on the far side of the coinstar, so that dwarves need to pass through the coinstar to get to or from said statue garden.  Thus, idle dwarves will frequently pass through the hall, getting pelted with coins in the process.

At any given point in time, there are maybe one or two dwarves in the coinstar, and they are in transit to or from another location.  My hope is that this minimizes the chances of someone dropping their xpig tail cloakx in there, turning it from an invigorating and healthy coin massage into a deadly cloakroom.  So far so good, I'll post an update once it's been running longer and I have more of a baseline for saying that it's relatively safe.

Someone had asked if the coinstar is safe for children.  A child wandered through, got pelted, and is none the worse for wear.  He's more than halfway from skill level 1 to 2 in armor user, and I assume his stats went up as well, although I don't have a pre-pelting baseline for comparison.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119847.msg3848104#msg3848104

What stack size of coins is being used?

I'm using single coins, although there may be a few of stack size 2 that somehow slipped in.  The coins usually deflect off of clothing when striking a dwarf, but when they hit the unclothed body part of a dwarf or cat, I get the "but the attack passes right through" message.  I think once or twice I also spotted a "but the attack has no force" message.  I'm not sure why that instead of the "passes right through" one.

Despite being totally harmless (I like the think of it as the dwarven equivalent of getting glitter bombed), it does seem effective at increasing armor user skill and buffing attributes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17