Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 80040 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2012, 05:40:28 am »

Hey just wanted to add - I can confirm massive sub to lethal injury from cloth matierial which reaches the size of dresses/shirts and robes.

Socks had minimal impact.

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2012, 12:40:10 pm »

I'll have to test this when I get home, so what's the general consensus for the best items to use? In my experience, seeds are a real pain to keep dwarves from putting them in bags.

If there's a way to separate quarry bush leaf stacks, that might be the best bet. Unless you want to mass produce socks, in which case you have to call your training room the "socklone".

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »

Question: What if you threw the dwarves and seeds at each other at the same time, would the dwarves be injured by the seeds? Will you be able to save the dwarves from terrible floor injuries with water? Would you gain anything from it besides the amusement? Needs ‼science‼, and we've got nice prisoner goblin-guinea-pigs. Too bad you can't build stuff in the arena.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »

Question: What if you threw the dwarves and seeds at each other at the same time, would the dwarves be injured by the seeds? Will you be able to save the dwarves from terrible floor injuries with water? Would you gain anything from it besides the amusement? Needs ‼science‼, and we've got nice prisoner goblin-guinea-pigs. Too bad you can't build stuff in the arena.

Yes; yes, but only very deep water; not much except drowning dwarves.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

I saw someone did experiment with water dropping back in 31.xx ( can't say if the specific physics is the same ) and it apparently stop acceleration from fall. Of course to get anywhere, it'd take a few Z's and maybe drowned dwarves :D

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2012, 11:19:31 pm »

I'll have to test this when I get home, so what's the general consensus for the best items to use? In my experience, seeds are a real pain to keep dwarves from putting them in bags.

If there's a way to separate quarry bush leaf stacks, that might be the best bet. Unless you want to mass produce socks, in which case you have to call your training room the "socklone".

goblinite underwear should work just fine :)

(although if you're in a hurry to get your soldiers trained before truly absurd amounts of goblinite are available, i suppose you could use socks)

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2012, 02:16:46 pm »

Is there any data on the rate of floor injuries in a soldier masher/blender/cyclone?  My time keeps getting sucked away and I haven't been able to try it yet.

Danger rooms always make me feel guilty because they're so easy, what do you guys think about this method? I think it could be made pretty efficient to set up with some junk/seeds and a few bridges (plus armor and such), but... I dunno, the relative complexity and spectacle (trapping soldiers in a room and thrashing them around with a bunch of seeds, like a rock tumbler full of dwarves) makes me feel better about it.

mordaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:37 am »

Just to make sure you haven't let anything obvious slip past your attention, but are your dwarves actually WEARING HELMETS?  Not just have them assigned, but have helmets as their physical headgear.  If dwarves have Caps of any kind as part of their clothing, and your armor is NOT set to replace clothing, then this will prevent your dwarves from donning proper protective headgear and so leave them vulnerable to head injuries.

Alternately, what item are you using in the pummeling-chamber?

My Dwarves are wearing the following: Cloth Hood, Copper Helm, Cloth Cloakx2, Copper Breastplate, Cloth Gloves, Copper Gauntlets, Cloth Trousers, Copper Greaves, Cloth Socks, Copper High Boots, Copper Bucker/Shield, and Weapon of Choice.

Also I have it set to replace clothing and exact matches. I also verified their inventory before sending them into the popcorn popper lol. It seems all well and good til the first broken nose or ear. I've even tried reinjuring them with a more serious wound so they'll goto the hospital to get cleaned with soap and stitched. Which does no good for the ears but they do get cleaned so I always hope it's enough but I've had a 100% mortality rate with it so far. As soon as I get broken ears I know they are done for. Course I saw someone say the 34.11 version infection rate is higher.

I'm using Sweet Pod Seeds to pummel with.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:35:28 am by mordaen »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2012, 09:08:26 pm »

So I finally got around to mass producing quarry bush leaves to try this with. One thing bugs me, though.

How the FUCK do you separate items from a stack? I know you can't put them back together, but how can you get them apart? Or am I stuck with just ordering all but one from each stack to be cooked, and then generating a thousand stacks?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:26 am »

Trader can split stacks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:26 am »

Cartilage is one of the tissues with no healing rate. You can fix that by editing the tissue templates.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »

Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »

if any one is thinking of training docters at the same time,
try useing feather wood spears there to light to cut beond the skin even with out clothing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »

Have you confirmed this?

I mean. have you set up an item drop chamber, actually made a thousand featherwood training spears, and then dropped them on someone's head? Because I don't buy it.

Plus it's a serious waste of wood. I'm going to stick to quarry bush leaves, thank -you-.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:31 pm »

If you select a stack of objects (like quarry bush leaves) to be traded, then you'll be met with a dialog asking how many you want to trade.  Just input '1' and hit enter.  Repeat with a macro.  I can't be bothered to remember if you have to complete the trade to split the stack, but buying everything back after you've offered each leaf is trivial in terms of cash.

Sometimes I feel guilty about finding an exploit in a game (more so if I didn't find it myself first), but when that game will confront me with a biome where NOTHING EVER STAYS DEAD, will rain plagues upon my dwarves, and will assault me with super units that are impervious to all but the most powerful weapons...  I immediately stop feeling guilty and start feeling desperate to find more exploits.  Do dwarves in DF mode have an upward limit to improve their stats like in the Adventure mode?  A super-soldier program might obviate the need to strip mine z-levels for miner training but then I couldn't use the mining skill for wielding picks in combat, I'm torn on what I should focus(?).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17