Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Planning) A 2D retro-succession game ...  (Read 3693 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
(Planning) A 2D retro-succession game ...
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:17:11 pm »

I've had some ideas of running a 23a succession game, since most of us don't seem to have started playing DF 'til the 3D days, and one of the ideas of Horrorfailed  was to do a 2D game as a prequel (i.e., where the evil came from). This idea has stuck with me for ages, so I'm curious if there are enough players to actually do such a game. I did post about it in the Horrorcannon thread, but it didn't seem to gather a lot of interest. The only notable game from that era is Boatmurdered, so having another 23a game seems worthwhile.

If we can get 4-5 players to start, and a good name for a fort, I'll gen the world and get the ball rolling. I'm open to name suggests, starting seven (with what equipment to bring), and any mods/tweaks to make to the raws if there's a desire. I'm also planning on having various goals for the fort to reach (i.e., attract this noble, get the king to arrive,have a professional military, etc.).

Linux users: 23a seems to work well in WINE (I tested it earlier before proposing it). Can't say anything for mac though ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (Planning) A 2D retro-succession game ...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

Sounds like a neat idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:02 am »

I'm SO FUCKING IN

also for the name you might wanna go for something like Ancient or Aged, basically something that has those implications in it.

It will be fun getting totally wrecked in this because I have NO idea how to play DF from this era :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:32:53 am »

I'm SO FUCKING IN

also for the name you might wanna go for something like Ancient or Aged, basically something that has those implications in it.

It will be fun getting totally wrecked in this because I have NO idea how to play DF from this era :P

That's two :-).

I'm considering Ancientevil, Ancientfailure (requires raw mods), or something along those. 23a has some interesting mechanics lost in later DFs so I expect a lot of !!fun!!.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:24 am »

It has the economy working right?
We shall have dwarves too poor to afford rooms! YAY!
Also I think you might have to edit the raws to make elephants war trainable in this version.
Seriously, we need war elephants in this XD

Indeed, I do this.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:53 am »

It has the economy working right?
We shall have dwarves too poor to afford rooms! YAY!
Also I think you might have to edit the raws to make elephants war trainable in this version.
Seriously, we need war elephants in this XD

Economy is indeed present, and making war elephants seems easy enough. Just need to add PET_EXOTIC, and the war tags. Looks like elephants don't starve themselves to death in this version.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:22 am »

oh you SHOULD probably know that I'm pretty damn nooby at the game.
I've pretty much got down the basic working of everything, but there is A TON that I haven't done yet.
For example, I find that I never seem to dig a second layer in stone, thus havent reached the caverns and such.
That shouldnt be a problem, as I think this version doesnt really use depth, but still thought I would give you advance warning before you hand me something and I break it :P

Indeed, I do this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:48:14 am »

I'd be in if I could get the damn window to be resizable. I tried playing a 23a fort, and felt like I needed to relearn how to play the game. Did manage to avoid drowning my miners though when I hit the river.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »

I just realized the quote in Splints sig wont apply to our fort hehe
Adamantine warhammers will be BADASS.

*hits goblin, flys across universe, splatting into infinite pieces along the way*

....I wonder if its possible to cover the entire map in blood from one attack...

Indeed, I do this.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:08:01 pm »

If you're going to play 23a, I highly recommend that you head to my user page on the wiki and apply the 14 bugfix patches (and optionally some of the 8 enhancement patches). You might also enjoy some of the utilities I've written, also found on that page.

One other thing to consider - you cannot choose your fortress name in 23a, so you'll have to use whatever you get (unless you want to go memory hacking to change it to something else). You'll also want to make lots of savegame backups - if the game crashes (or you use Ctrl+Alt+Del to kill it), it will leave the world in an inconsistent state (especially if caravans or diplomats have visited since your last save) and possibly lead to save corruption later on. There are also no autosaves, so you'll want to save occasionally anyways.

I've been working on documenting 23a's internals in reasonable detail (lots of them are surprisingly similar to those in 0.34.11), so some day it might be possible to use "modern" DFHack (i.e. with the console and everything) with 23a.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »

Wow. My DF experience started from 0.28.40d, but I read Boamurdered and enjoyed it much.

I'll join just to feel being noob again! Random name is ok, since Quietust says it's not editable.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »

I... will try your succession game. I started in the major version after. where you could only go down about 16 or so levels... Ive never played this version, but I think it would be a good experience learning how far a long DF has come.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 04:38:34 pm »

I'll apply Quietust's patches to a 23a binary (I so envy your disassembly skills), since most of the bugfixes make a lot of sense, and get a world genned tonight hopefully.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »

I'll join.  I've only started playing last year, and haven't even touched any of the older versions. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »

This seems pretty cool.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3