Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I absolutely love the idea of DF  (Read 6041 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: I absolutely love the idea of DF
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »

I just cant seem to get the hang of the graphics, no matter what tile set i use. How long did it take you guys to overcome the learning curve and finally start to have fun?
Around the time I figured out how to dig, and the dwarves actually started moving. Before, Not so fun watching a bunch of dwarves stand in the snow, presumably just milling around in their *Cat Leather Parka*s. The moment they started responding to my demands though, Instantly hooked.

The way I dealt with controls, was to ignore anything I couldn't do, and check the wiki for things I needed to do.

Graphics you say?
Just give it a while. Once you start playing, you won't even see smiley faces, letters, and symbols, just "Cheesemaker, lasher-goblin, tree..." Heck, I'm so used to ASCII that graphics are tough to decipher for me!
^I'm with this guy. In fact, because of this, I find it obnoxious to try to figure out what's going on in posts that DO use graphic tilesets. The only things that continue to trip me up is surface vegetation, but that's because it's a LOT of noise.
Like this, but without any surface vegetation problems.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:23 pm »

I just cant seem to get the hang of the graphics, no matter what tile set i use. How long did it take you guys to overcome the learning curve and finally start to have fun?
Around the time I figured out how to dig, and the dwarves actually started moving. Before, Not so fun watching a bunch of dwarves stand in the snow, presumably just milling around in their *Cat Leather Parka*s. The moment they started responding to my demands though, Instantly hooked.
... I can't remember how many times I've had to abandon fortresses shortly after Embark in mountainous terrains because I looked away from my starting point, forgot which range of Z-levels they were on and what area of the map... losing my dwarves, how embarrasing  :P

Now I can always re-find them!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 05:32:00 pm »

Just give it a while. Once you start playing, you won't even see smiley faces, letters, and symbols, just "Cheesemaker, lasher-goblin, tree..." Heck, I'm so used to ASCII that graphics are tough to decipher for me!
^I'm with this guy. In fact, because of this, I find it obnoxious to try to figure out what's going on in posts that DO use graphic tilesets. The only things that continue to trip me up is surface vegetation, but that's because it's a LOT of noise.

You can make it all periods/full stops in the init, you know.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 06:14:02 pm »

... I can't remember how many times I've had to abandon fortresses shortly after Embark in mountainous terrains because I looked away from my starting point, forgot which range of Z-levels they were on and what area of the map... losing my dwarves, how embarrasing  :P

Now I can always re-find them!
Try F1.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »

I think I played a few days before I realized the game had more then 1 Z level  :o. Learning (H) could set quick find points saved me a lot of time too.

I do recommend a starter kit like the 'lazy noob pack' that comes with a tileset(s) and dwarf therapist. I only use the Masterwork mod these days, keeps me from having to worry about the 'socksplosion', that and dropping slade on peoples head is fun.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 07:04:17 am »

Try F1.
Yup, the first hotkey zoom-to is set to your wagon location [by default].  Or you could have gone into the (u)nit screen and (z)oomed to a given dwarf or tame animal.  But I reckon you know all that now, just being boring with additional info, and only didn't manage zooming to an owned item from the inventory because that'd require an active manager to have done some work. ;)

(As for the "many and varied vegetation" confusion, I wouldn't have thought it'd be confusing, as it's all "little" punctuation that's hard to get confused with macro-features and sentients/animals/etc, but I bet there's something I fail(ed) on that others don't, so I'm sympathetic regardless.)

edited to clarify...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:22:17 am by Starver »

stool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 07:58:54 am »

I started DF using phoebus, but the fact that i would dream in ascii, if i played df long enough without tilesets, was always intruiging.
Played in vanilla ascii several times when just no tilesets where updated for a fresh release, but mostly adventuring.
Can't go away from the tileset i'm used to for fortress mode though, maybe to try major mods to give them more flavor.
I was drawn to DF when a friend told me that his dwarves began to worship something out of the caverns, an olm or something.
Got hooked in my first fortress which starved slowly to death, getting fell moods is so much !FUN! !!!, ill never forget that artifacts.
Didn't care about the brick wall of a learning curve after my first failed fort. took a while to get over it, about... 10 forts over 5 (quick)releases.
hell, it took me 3 forts to figure minecarts out.
Despite that some say the learning curve is deterrent, i love it.
trial and error in df never gets old.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:36:19 pm by stool »

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »

Try F1.
Yup, the first hotkey zoom-to is set to your wagon location [by default].  Or you could have gone into the (u)nit screen and (z)oomed to a given dwarf or tame animal.  But I reckon you know all that now, just being boring with additional info, and only didn't manage zooming to an owned item from the inventory because that'd require an active manager to have done some work. ;)

(As for the "many and varied vegetation" confusion, I wouldn't have thought it'd be confusing, as it's all "little" punctuation that's hard to get confused with macro-features and sentients/animals/etc, but I bet there's something I fail(ed) on that others don't, so I'm sympathetic regardless.)

edited to clarify...
Yeah, I can see the world clearly now. The only reason vegetation trips me up is because I see the colors first, shapes second, and I there are so many varied types of vegetation, some significant, some not. Distiguishing plants, trees, and green ramps gets obnoxious. It becomes MUCH easeir to see trees in autumn!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

Here is an advice: if you get used to ASCII, you'll find tilesets confusing and if you get used to tilesets, you'll find ASCII confusing. The difference is getting used to tiles is much more easier. Also, tiles can show you more (animals, especially) so you don't have to pause and look at it when you see something. You can find ASCII more suited to you though. It's your choice.

Some people think ASCII is the "dwarven" way to play DF but that's bullshit. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to play it like that. Play it however you like.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »

Here is an advice: if you get used to ASCII, you'll find tilesets confusing and if you get used to tilesets, you'll find ASCII confusing. The difference is getting used to tiles is much more easier. Also, tiles can show you more (animals, especially) so you don't have to pause and look at it when you see something. You can find ASCII more suited to you though. It's your choice.

Some people think ASCII is the "dwarven" way to play DF but that's bullshit. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to play it like that. Play it however you like.
fix'd

Also, I always use ASCII, and I never get confused. Except with goblin and geese, can't tell you how confused I get with those.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 08:40:04 pm »

Well, the simple answer is one is Butcherable at the Butcher's shop, and the other only in Combat.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »

Well, the simple answer is one is Butcherable at the Butcher's shop, and the other only in Combat.
What I mean, of course, is i am confused when what I assumed to be a goblin squad peacefully walks over my weapon traps, and a flock of geese suddenly start murdering dwarves.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 11:31:35 pm »

If you are colorblind, like me, you'll find most useful not a graphical pack but a color scheme:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Color_scheme

I'm specially confused by the shades of green used to indicate room occupancy.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »

It only took me a few hours to get used to the graphics.  It took a week or so to really understand what I was doing with the interface thoroughly.  I knew a few keys did certain things, but it took a few days for it to really settle into my mind so I knew what I was doing and why I was hitting those keys.

I'd say it took me 3 days to figure out how to make a successful fort.

A year later, I'm still mastering "advanced" concepts, although my forts are successful and fun to play.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 01:31:34 am »

I play DF with a graphics tileset cuz ASCII tends to make my eyes strain after awhile. I believe the fun is what you make of it; graphics dont matter, what matters is learning and exploiting something new every fort. Im just learning mine carts now and its fun watching my industrious minions use it to move crops from my farms to my food prep area (after dumping it though a small drop chute down 5 z levels to boot; im starting around a volcano and good soil is hard to find.)
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4