Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Surplus  (Read 4259 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Surplus
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:40:50 pm »

How many dwarfs does the average fortress around here need? How do people deal with general overpopulation?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

DiezIrae

• Bay Watcher
  • From the depth of thy soul I cometh...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Surplus
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:01:36 pm »

I begin to suffer headaches as soon as I get to over 120 dwarfs. General overpopulation... is that some other word for genocide?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:04:33 pm »

By segregating children and starving them to death in a locked door. And by sending crap squads recruited from unnecessary dwarves (potash and fish industry, I'm looking at you) against goblin lashers and megabeasts, in a version of the Uriah Gambit.

With a big, engraved dining room, engraved 3x3 individual bedrooms, prepared meals and at least 2 kind of booze, most dwarves won't get to unhappy.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:08:06 pm »

It depends on your computer and playstyle. If you've got a kick-ass CPU and are highly geared towards military and megaprojects, you'd probably want to keep population around 150-200. If your computer is midrange and you don't mind defending yourself with traps alone, You'd likely be happy with 50-100 dwarves. If you have a slow computer, go play Dig Dug and pretend you're a dwarf and they're goblins.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:25:56 pm »

potash isn't all that bad. i mean, it's not like you need a ton of dwarfpower to fuel the industry, but you can really churn out crazy amounts of food from your farms with fertilizing.

and the rest are generally no worse at hauling stuff around than anyone else ime.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:21 pm »

I usually build a gravity chamber for kids and like, to see if gravity still exists, you know..
Other than that my poorly armed military eats a lot able bodied dwarfs. 

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »

hypothetically you could do with two dwarfs locked up.

To fill up all the jobs 100 is MORE than sufficient

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:38:59 pm »

I always enroll my extra dorfs in military. It is very CPU friendly if they just train in barracks.

Small problem is, that in current patch, squads consisting of 10 dwarfs train slower than their skills rust (yep, I confirmed it). Dwarves train great when in squads of 2-3 dwarves, but microing 100 militia dwarves in 50 squads is like microing the zerg rush with selecting one zergling at time.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »

I've consistently modified my dwarves to give them human lifespans (maxage 60:120) so there's always some healthy "churn" in the population to keep it reasonable.  It's also satisfying to read the slabs that say the dwarves "died peacefully". 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »

I always enroll my extra dorfs in military. It is very CPU friendly if they just train in barracks.

Small problem is, that in current patch, squads consisting of 10 dwarfs train slower than their skills rust (yep, I confirmed it). Dwarves train great when in squads of 2-3 dwarves, but microing 100 militia dwarves in 50 squads is like microing the zerg rush with selecting one zergling at time.

The general solution for this is to give the large squad multiple training orders with minimum 2.  Not quite as good as 2-3 dwarf squads, but you get more training and especially sparring than a single 10 dwarf training order.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

I think the problem will be fixed when trading is changed. Currently traders only ever bring so many goods, and they never change how many they bring, so there is never a need to produce more than a certain amount of trade goods. But once that changes, we will have a use for all these hands!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »

I find 50 is great for me as my forts are more untrained labour sweatshops.

I usualy have some famers,miners,a Manager for a leader,some nobles like a bookkeep.

The rest are "crafters" they have every job except hunting,farming,fishing and mining.

They don't have mining because the game is yet to enable them to haul an axe and a pick at the same time.

Well outside of a squad I mean.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:11 am »

How are we defining "need"?  Players here have run forts with only the starting seven, some with even fewer than that.  Self sustainability is ridiculously easy to achieve if you know how.

Or are we talking how many dwarves usually have a job to do? 

Personally, I depend on having a hoard of haulers to unclutter workshops and keep resources flowing, so having a couple extras isn't bad.  I also try to maintain at least a 25% conscription rate.  With 150 civvies, about half will be unskilled haulers.  And not all the skilled dwarves will always have something to do (doctors, butchers, and trainers will spend most of the time doing nothing.) Between different tasks, idlers range from 0 to 100, most of the time being around 60.  That sounds like a lot, but it helps when you have a recently butchered elephant that would otherwise rot in the workshop.

"General overpopulation" is usually good for cannon fodder, and if that fails, hauling.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:05 am »

Can't ever have enough guys for above-ground mega-construction. You're not building big enough palaces. I have a hauler/mason/engineer/woodcutter caste that do all the above-ground stuff. That role can soak up unlimited labor, and i use them as a raw recruits pool to expand other roles like mining or furnace operating as needed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:27 am »

Unwanted migrates go to the outdoor meeting area I designate when they arrive.  I place thm into emergency squad and either cave in, drown, or tell to kill.  Otherwise I burrow them and have them dig exploration tunnels.  Until death in some horrid manner.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2 3