Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: You are a Forgotten Beast  (Read 5024 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
You are a Forgotten Beast
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:48:53 pm »

Day 1
You wake up in the caverns. You feel immediately at home. You recall nothing about who you are except a name (Xom Noloc, you think), but you also have the feeling that that's because you only started being someone today. Where are you? It's dark, but you can see fine. In fact, the general concept of "dark" eludes you completely. Water drips into a distant pool, and festively-coloured mushrooms poke through a fresh-looking coating of thick mud. A large pit of magma burbles and hisses. You wander off. What else is there to do?

Day 3918
You're pretty sure that you started walking straight when you started out, and the scenery certainly has changed. It used to be chilly in the caverns, but after a long time, it began to warm up. Then it got cold, eventually reaching a place where gigantic, undisturbed crystals of water reached down from the ceiling. It warmed up again, then got cold again, but now, you're where you started. The magma pit has fluctuated in level, but it has the same shape. The submerged sea now has gentle waves breaking across the surface. You don't know why you remember this, but perhaps it's too dull down here to forget anything.

Day 352801
How long has it been? You've seen everything. Sometimes, you hear tapping within the deep columns of rock, and the sounds of life. You've seen many creatures before, but they are lethargic, slow, and blighted. Everything they need grows in front of them, with the exception of the busy animal men who attempt to murder you (repeatedly). But inside the columns comes frantic noise, like whatever dwells inside must rush to live. Recently, a little hole opened in the top of the cavern, and a single chalice fell, spinning gently as whatever foul purple brew inside splattered on the moss below. Whatever lay above caught one glimpse of you and rolled a thick boulder onto the entrance, sealing it off forever. The chalice is yellow and soft, like the little metal lumps you occasionally see embedded in the rock walls. This reminds you - what about you is so menacing that every sentient being wants to kill you at first sight? You rub the golden chalice on the moss, and see your reflection for the first time in over a thousand years. You are shocked to discover that...

INTERMISSION: So anyway, this is a suggestion game. I'm not planning to stick with a specific ruleset or formatting, but to determine the outcome of fights, I plan to spawn a modded-in version of the character that you are about to create against the opponent in the Object Testing Arena and whatever happens is canon. Also, please preface your actions with > to make life easier. Onwards to character-creation!

You start with 50 points and select attributes. Better ones cost more points. This will be based on popular vote.

you are made of...
[40] steel, the awesomest metal that isn't sweet/delicious/blue
[20] bronze, a dependable alloy and favored material of giant animated statues
[10] gabbro, a boring rock
[7] amber, which is like any other gem but it has all these little bugs in it and stuff, neato
[5] vomit/blood, and yet you can still be butchered
[2] snow, it's a wonder you haven't been killed yet

you can...
[40] shoot disease-ridden clouds of dust with enough force to knock out anything in your path
[30] fire syndrome-carrying webs to immobilize your enemies
[15] sting your enemies and inject some kind of horrifying venom
[10] have a poisonous bite that causes various symptoms
[3] have poisonous blood, which serves as a handy yet useless last resort

which carries a toxin that...
* You can pick two or more if you have points left over.
[15] causes brain necrosis after a minute or two
[10] paralyzes the victim after only a short delay
[7] causes bleeding and nausea, bringing colour to the battlefield
[6] causes pain and dizziness
[3] causes bruises and drowsiness: combined with the previous this gives the full effect of a night on the town
[2] causes a high fever

and you most resemble a...
[] amorphous blob
[] humanoid
[] giant bug

Let the super fun adventures commence! I won't be on here all the time, but I can hopefully maintain a pretty good schedule.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:53:17 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:52:36 pm »

> Amorphous Blob/Gabbro/Webbing/Paralysis. This gives our webbing the ability to suffocate things.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:53 pm »

A gabbro spider with a bite causing brain necrosis,  and poisonous blood which causes fevers and paralysis.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:57:36 pm »

A giant bug composed of Vomit who exhales poisonous clouds which causes brain necrosis.

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »

>Giant bug(preferably with wings)/Gabbro/Webbing/Paralysis.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »

giant bug
>Giant bug(preferably with wings)/Gabbro/Webbing/Paralysis.
+1
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:35 pm »

Bugs of some type seem certain. Let's discuss type.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:59 pm »

Bugs of some type seem certain. Let's discuss type.

Vomit!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »

Four gabbro vs. One vomit.
I meant like fly, spider, centipede...
Sig

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:02:07 pm »

Four gabbro vs. One vomit.
I meant like fly, spider, centipede...

Oh.. Well.. one of those with big pincers?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »

Gabbro/syndrome webs/paralysis/giant bug

This seems like a pretty balanced build. We can stop many attackers if we need to and the few that get through don't have THAT great of a chance.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 10:19:36 pm »

General consensus seems to be gabbro/bug/webs/paralysis. I assumed that every body-type had wings.

It'll take a while to mod it and it's getting late, so here's more flavour-text! Yes, we are a spider now, because it fits our web-shooting build and seems to be the most-voted anyway (plus the specific type wasn't on the vote sheet so I get to decide *evil grin*).

You are horrified to discover that you have the form of a gigantic spider made of rock. You knew that you could shoot paralysis-causing webs, but a stone arachnid? I mean, you should have put it together years ago, but co-ordinating your various limbs wasn't something you ever really thought about. On the other hand, this also explains the amusing scenario a couple hundred years ago when a giant cave spider started making advances on you and you were forced to kick it into a nearby magma pit. This may also explain the similarly freakish creatures you've seen before, very rarely: once you saw a gigantic blob made of wobbling diamond, and you both made a gesture of mutual acknowledgement, although with the blob it was more of an eldritch quiver. Either way, you are totally unprepared for what happens next.

In your shock at finally seeing your own face, you don't notice the activity in a nearby column. First comes a quiet tapping, but it gets louder and louder until it begins seriously bothering your sensitive gabbro-spider ears. Suddenly, the wall bursts, and light floods out of the newly made hole. Your eyes are completely overwhelmed by the brightness, but you think you can make out a few short figures, babbling excitedly. Some more of the mysterious purple liquid drips from a large container one of the figures appears to have rolled down the inside of the column, and an intoxicating scent wafts up from the spill. In colour and texture, it resembles one of the purple mushrooms that grow down here just before its cap begins liquefying and sending its spores out ("fat hats", you like to call them), but in smell it's like a little miracle, even more piercing than the first ray of light you've ever seen (your stone irises grind into shape for the first time, too, and suddenly the familiar shapes of the cavern fade into darkness while the figures become perfectly clear). You must have this liquid, but one of the bearded figures is rolling it back up the column! Soon, another beard-man places a stone barrier between you and the new portal to realms unknown. You know you can knock it down with a mere touch, but whatever lies inside could turn hostile. You also notice a couple giant cave spiders and troglodytes beginning to gather, also attracted by the scent. Now what?

That's the night for me. I will work on getting Xom Noloc modded in in the meantime.
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »

Drink the liquid!
Sig

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »

>Rally the giant cave spiders with promises of some of the liquid. If they agree to follow us, knock down the barrier and launch a volley of our webs. Then send in the cave spiders and tell them to launch webs everywhere(we should be immune to getting trapped in the webs).
>>If they don't agree to follow our plan try with the trogs, break down the barrier send the trogs in and volley webs everywhere(trogs are expendable, fact).
>>>If none of them follow our plans just go in and give the dwarfs  a good scare with our webs, if the situation is especially good then follow the step below.
After any of those actions chase after said liquid and secure it preferably with reckless use of our webs.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 11:03:51 pm »

I say we enter the first shaft a little ways and web whoever possible, but don't go too far into the light yet.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5