Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread  (Read 21369 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 02:47:22 am »

Ed rises to his feet and snaps a salute, mostly on instinct, still dazzled by the light.
"PFC Carr, sirs, ma'am.  At your service."
He blinks.  A moment later, their words (and thoughts) sink in.
"Of course, you already knew that... and seems like you've already taken advantage of my service, if you don't mind me saying so."
After a not-at-all uncomfortable pause, he asks "Where are we?  Who are all of you?  Is this really... X-COM?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 03:01:55 am »

As the dazzling sensation fades, so do the inner voices-now, it's like trying to listen to music during a traffic jam. You know the music is being played...but you can't make out the words anymore.

The bookish man claps you on the shoulder. You cringe-feeling a backwash of negative emotion. Is this real? Or just fantasy? "Indeed. Welcome to X-COM HQ. Center of the resistance. Us five...well, I'm head Psychologist for the base-Dr. Greenmore

...there's Cpl. Caruthers, he's here for...security, you know? We couldn't be sure how you would react.

...Miss Westen over there is your handler. Take a close look-she's the one who brought you in, son!"

She waves, blushing. You recognize her now-amazing what a change of clothes can do to a woman.

"...Honestly, it was hard for me to even convince them to let us have a Psi Division. I'm sorry if I caused you stress, Mr. Carr-but it was either this, or you wouldn't be here. I'll understand if we can't work together because of that-we can reassign you." You detect a certain degree of sincerity in these words. You get that-but is it psychic or merely natural? Perhaps the wider question-how many years have you had this ability, using it without knowing you had it?

Caruthers speaks up, interrupting your thoughts. "Are we done here? This is an awful headscratcher, but I'm no egghead-I've got a firing range course to instruct in ten minutes." He does seem impatient, checking his watch. Ed feels-very strongly-this is a lie.

He makes no move to introduce the other two in the room-a man and a woman wearing identical black coats and sunglasses, standing at you soundlessly in the corner. Unlike the others, you feel nothing from them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 07:31:26 am »

Do your best to hide your excitement. Grab the Fragger.
I'll take that one. I think I'm more than strong enough to handle it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:42:08 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 08:25:11 am »

Lake sighed inwardly. Oh yes, just like his first day at Hawke.  Hand the new guy a bomb and tell him it's real, even leave some accelerate or propellant in there, wig him out and see what he does.  Figured they wanted to see him freak out.  Do these guys play by the same rules?

Well, the device itself was certainly freaky enough.  Just like any other bomb- take it slow.

Inspect the device to discover the source of the gas and/or growling.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:56 am »

((Dwarmin is staying true to his word. Romantic sub-plots for everyone he had promised, romantic sub-plots you will have, even if he has to force them down your throat. :P))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:00 am »

((I've done nothing of the sort. :P

*shoots Caellath away*))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 08:55:04 am »

((Lake has already learned how to stop worrying and love the Bomb.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2012, 09:03:18 am »

Ria nodded apprehensively, while she did have experience with the handling and inspection of drugs, she had none in trying any. Well, in any that she had no idea of, that is.

"Err, yes sir. Quite new in X-COM, what is in that drug anyway? What does it do, and any side effects I should know of?"

Question the good doctor!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:23 am »

Pull out the Energy drink I happened to sneak in, take a sip, and start playing.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »

"Well then.  Good to meet you all- you three."
Can you hear me?
"Miss Weston, no hard feelings, of course..."
I'm not going to notice you if they don't...
"Of course you have to do what you have to do."
Are you... psions?  Like me?
"...so, what now?  Should I sign in somewhere?  Is there orientation?  Keep listening to you talk, Doc?  Or should I... follow you, Corporal, to your... firing range, sir?"
purple purple purple monkey elephants the cow jumps over the lazy dog

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2012, 06:45:14 pm »

"Nothing that I didn't already know."
Alexandre shakes his head, still trapped within his own mind. He heads to the door, and moves as if to step out, but hesitates to tell Abella one last thing.
"Tell me if X-com accepts me, madam."
Then, he heads down the hallway, back to the most isolated place he can find.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 08:13:02 pm »

Do your best to hide your excitement. Grab the Fragger.
I'll take that one. I think I'm more than strong enough to handle it.

"Alright friend, your funer...er, good luck!" Gerome says, giving you a thumbs up.

You like the weight of the weapon in your hands. Yes.
=====================================================================================

Lake sighed inwardly. Oh yes, just like his first day at Hawke.  Hand the new guy a bomb and tell him it's real, even leave some accelerate or propellant in there, wig him out and see what he does.  Figured they wanted to see him freak out.  Do these guys play by the same rules?

Well, the device itself was certainly freaky enough.  Just like any other bomb- take it slow.

Inspect the device to discover the source of the gas and/or growling.

Nice and slow.

You identify at least five separate chemicals in this...whatever it is. They don't look like any substance you've seen, but one of them-colored bright orange-smells faintly of nitroglycerin. You can make out a central organ, sort of like a heart, pumping the chemicals around in an endless loop. It's biologically insane-nothing in nature could exist like this. The gas is being vented fairly quickly, and you get the idea when it empties completely, the pressure pops the creature-triggering whatever chemical reaction is going to happen.

The 'growling' noise is coming from a small patch of matted silicate material-brushing it away, you spot a single milky eye, staring at you balefully (or what you assume is an unhappy look for a living bomb). It blinks once. Hmm. You can't find the brain though...
=====================================================================================

Ria nodded apprehensively, while she did have experience with the handling and inspection of drugs, she had none in trying any. Well, in any that she had no idea of, that is.

"Err, yes sir. Quite new in X-COM, what is in that drug anyway? What does it do, and any side effects I should know of?"

Question the good doctor!

The Doctor laughs quietly. But it's not a happy laugh.

"If I knew the exact side effects, I wouldn't need you to test it, would I?

But, if you insist-the Izo Ampule increases any number of physical attributes-strength, speed, endurance. I synthesized it from Alien blood samples...what pumps through their bodies is more than mere blood chemisty.

Curious beings. Every part of them is...biologically superior to us. Their blood, a potent serum when the base components are distilled-their flesh is truly organic armor, lighter and stronger than any known polymer, their minds perfectly structured for the maximum amount of efficiency...I admire them for their perfection. They are the perfect survivors-unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.

A pity we must destroy them, but it is not a task I will shy from either-there will be plenty of bodies for me to study. There always are...

So, will you help my research? I know it is a heavy burden, but it must be done."
He finishes, folding his hands.

[/quote]
Pull out the Energy drink I happened to sneak in, take a sip, and start playing.

Several hours later, you are still playing-you mostly break even, though it's clear he's a very skilled player...somehow, you end up sharing energy drinks. You put your 5th can to the side of your computer. You realize you lost track of time-and this guy doesn't seem to want to quit and take a break, either.

"We're just getting started!" he says, a bit maniacally.
"Well then.  Good to meet you all- you three."
Can you hear me?
"Miss Weston, no hard feelings, of course..."
I'm not going to notice you if they don't...
"Of course you have to do what you have to do."
Are you... psions?  Like me?
"...so, what now?  Should I sign in somewhere?  Is there orientation?  Keep listening to you talk, Doc?  Or should I... follow you, Corporal, to your... firing range, sir?"
purple purple purple monkey elephants the cow jumps over the lazy dog

You hear a voice in your head-that's totally not weird. In fact, two voices-speaking more or less in unison, like an echo. Unlike the murmurs of before, you can make them out clearly and cognizantly. You fee...no, you know it's coming from the mysterious figures.

Stop shouting stop shouting
We can hear you just fine you just fine

The Corporal shakes you on the shoulder.

"...sorry son, this is a private course. I'll be sure to schedule you for the next one though." He says, smiling slightly. He leaves pretty quickly after that.

If you want to know more... know more...
Meet us in X-Command, midnight tonight midnight, tonight

The Doctor speaks up.

"...no, you have free run of the base, sir. Miss Westen will give you a guided tour."

She speaks up, smiling.

"Or just Aribel Westen. If you're comfortable on a first name basis."

Interesting Interesting
We suggest you stay out of her mind her mind
You might not like what you find
Or you might like it quite alot
Who are we to judge

Well, here comes the headache again.
"Nothing that I didn't already know."
Alexandre shakes his head, still trapped within his own mind. He heads to the door, and moves as if to step out, but hesitates to tell Abella one last thing.
"Tell me if X-com accepts me, madam."
Then, he heads down the hallway, back to the most isolated place he can find.

In time, you find the most isolated part of the base-the meditation chambers. You've been here before. It's completely cut off from the outside world-no cameras, no listening devices (so they say).

It's roomy and comfortable, a plain room with a mat on the floor for meditating, prayer or what have you. Utterly silent. Perhaps the only thing that breaks the perfect harmony here is the bright red Panic button near the door-in case of any sort of emergency.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:15:51 pm by Dwarmin »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »

Ignore his attempts at humour.
This weapon is satisfying indeed. I'll be sure to let you know how dreadful it turns out to be. By the way, don't you have any more staff, or are you the lone researcher?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:42 pm »

He nods, turning serious.

"Uh, they don't tell you much, do they?

X-COM is literally on a shoestring budget. This base is only filled to 20% capacity. Most of everything goes into running those Skyrangers...and bribing various third world countries to allow us to fly into their airspace without being shot down.

I'm the head of the experimental weapons research, see. I've got my brother working with me and...my 'secretary'. Whose actually got a degree in physics, but she took the lower position so they government couldn't bean count her out of the job. That's it for us."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »

Oh my.. Consider me a part of the team then! Unofficially of course. Call me any time you need something tested.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18