Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread  (Read 21327 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »

Stay in cover.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2012, 04:45:07 pm »

"Shit, that's one down.  Hey!  I'm going to lay down some more covering fire.  Everyone who's not helping me supress, advance along that crater when I start shooting!"
Stay put, fire back at the enemy.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2012, 04:53:21 pm »

Continue head forward into cover, hopefully behind the crater, lay down some covering fire with the pistol during the run.

"Abello! Excuse me, but wheres Kathryn?"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:12:09 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2012, 05:11:22 pm »

((Well, at least I called it.  I feel like an extra in Saving Private Ryan now.))

Lake was unhurt, of course, but this was a wake-up call.  He's only been under fire once before, but that was way back in Argentina, when they were hired out to clean out that crooked gold cartel.  He was in the back of an armored truck then, too- he was there for the cleanup, not the fight.

This was different.  This was
real.  One little mistake out there, and he could be dead.  The thought unnerved him- and his job required steady nerves.  He looked toward Abello.

"I guess that's what I get for going into battle wearing a gas tank, right?  I don't suppose I get paradropped back in or anything, right?  I'm no use out here."

Ask.

She responds rapid fire.

"Just proving a point-enemy fire is dangerous enough without wearing something explosive strapped to you. A lesson our Experimental Weapons Team has yet to learn.

And, yes-being dead generally precludes one from being useful. And you sir, are dead-unless one accounts for your hypothetical survival against all odds with massive third degree burn scars, but I'd not call the aftermath of such a wounding living.

...You may watch the simulation from the viewing room, but your part in this test is concluded-quite definitely."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:21 pm »

I haven't quite decided when tech progression will occur, either at the beginning of the next mission or the end of the last mission, or maybe some mid point, but here it is. Anyone can vote on what technology will be researched next.

I have also added a class of technologies called 'theory'. Essentially, theory technologies unlock multiple new technologies to be researched. Also, if it wasn't clear, old technologies can still be researched.

Cybernetics Completed

We've done it, soldiers. Combining the world's knowledge of cybernetics with the best researchers in the field, we've created synthetic limbs. These new limbs are by no means better. They're weaker, clumsier, and fragile. But they're something, and we already have some ideas on how to improve them. When a soldier is wounded in the field, we will provide these sub-par cybernetic limbs free of charge.

Cybernetic Limb: -1 to Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance rolls on activities that use that limb. Does not affect stats themselves.

[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:02 pm »

"Abello! Excuse me, but wheres Kathryn?"

*beep*

If you really want to know, she's coordinating the very defense you are trying to surmount-acting in the stead of the Enemy Commander, with full control of hostile forces and assets.

Your final mission objective will be to terminate her of course, securing the bunker. I trust there will be no hesitation, yes?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

"Of course not."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2012, 08:18:11 pm »

*beep*

Interesting answer.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

Alexendre knew that holding a conversation during a fight was a good way to get killed, but he couldn't let her get the worst word in... He just couldn't.
"How so, ma'am?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

*beep*

Interesting, in how easily one can condition another to follow orders. I hold a minor position of power over you, and I can direct you-a complete stranger in all other regards-and your actions with casual, utterly unquestioned authority. Does that make you a less of a man, and more of a tool? Is there even a difference?

Which will give us a better chance to win us the war, I wonder.

...though, I do suppose we'll have to test the limits of how far you are prepared to go to complete the mission.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:19 pm »

"It's a social contract, that's why. We trust you to give us correct orders. You trust us to complete them."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

*beep*

A contract neither you, or I signed or even witnessed? You must be a faithful man, Alexandre. A Good Citizen. The Model Soldier. Whatever entitled rank you think applies.

You seem to have a great belief in the System-it at least obliviates the need to think for one self...which may be something of a benefit, in the battlefield.

But, one hopes you would still see a flawed System for what it was, if presented. Then you might have to make a choice-would it be your duty was to disobey, or continue to follow orders?

((Alexande is getting distracted, 1/3 chance of a -1 to all rolls next round))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2012, 08:58:10 pm »

"It's been established over the years, from the Romans on. The soldier obeys the commander. It's a given within the military. It's not that it removes guilt, it's that they function better as a unit. Of course, absolute trust couldn't be established. If someone really did trust blindly, then morality would collapse. So, it's flawed, just like all other systems. Don't see any better though.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2012, 09:07:00 pm »

*beep*

No way to improve the System before us, you say. A man of Faith, now becomes something a pessimist. And so quickly. It certainly doesn't bode well for the System, if stagnation is an acceptable alternative to revolution.

Query. What would you choose if you were the Commander? To which would you assign priority?

Efficiency, or Morality?

((Alexande is getting distracted, 2/3 chance of a -1 to all rolls next round))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »

Lake looked at the VR screens.  The action was getting underway without him.  While learning how potential teammates acted under fire would be good to know, seeing it all live perhaps wasn't the best use of his time.  Besides, he owed that weapons testing range another visit- hopefully Duke or whatever that douche's name was is gone by now.

"Thanks all the same, but I'll just catch the highlight film.  Let me know how it turns out, hey?  I'm checking back down with the weapons testing.

Say above, then head back down to the live-fire range to see if any more explosives testing needs his help.

Also, I vote Alien Autopsy.  Do you have a preferred format for tech votes?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18