Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind (2)  (Read 4914 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: A Valley Without Wind (2)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:03 am »

Well this is good. Hopefully the new one will have more... consistant graphics. The old one looked horrible but not for any particular reason, if that makes sense.

Also modding would be cool, but I don't think it will happen.

This is probably just my personal opinion and perhaps not a popular one, but to me, AVWW 1 had bigger problems even beyond the whole graphics stuff. The very basic nature of how it platformed felt wrong. the jump "animation", the landing, the running, how the monsters behaved. it was like taking a car for a test drive, and while it has all the right specs, driving it just feels clunky, everything is perfect about it, just that the braking and acceleration puddles are slightly too sensitive to the point where a ride in an urban area stuffed with traffic jams can never feel smooth.

This is pretty much how I felt about everything related to the first game. It seemed right on paper, but it diddn't really work. It seemed that every aspect of that game narrowly misses awesome, and somehow falls into that aspect's appropriate equivelant of uncanny valley.

That and the grind.

You cannot play as Draconites
:(
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:18:53 am »

Arcen are true bros. I need to give avww another try one of these days, I know that it has already gotten a couple of major patch releases.

Maybe after the next one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:32:38 am by TripJack »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:58 am »

I'll be looking forward to it, but you can throw me into the "hated avww1" pit. It was an extremely bad attempt at metroidvania with included grinding and terrible visuals, but hey, maybe this will fix it all :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 09:46:02 am »

Sinistar, the original avww isn't changing, you still get the unique feel of its graphics. This is an entierly seperate object except for premise and title (same world different area, etc) that you get along with the original.

Eitherway, I'm still planning to run servers for it again, feel free to drag my old server thread out of the depths of this forum if you want me to sometime before this releases.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:50:04 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 12:52:03 am »

...And, up we go, thread, AVWW2 has come into public beta. People who have AVWW1 in steam should've had AVWW2 (in its current beta form) popup in steam available to install today. Otherwise, you can download the installer from the arcen website and use the key from AVWW1 to activate the sequel. Or you can check out the demo, avoid it entirely, wait for release, not notice it because of the steam winter sale, whatever floats your boat, though hopefully not the last one :P

Things to note:
1. It is in beta. Arcen does pretty good betas but still, beta.
2. Not all the art is done quite yet. Its reasonable enough, but this leads to the third thing.
3. Not everything is animated yet, which means not all the monsters (or player characters) are available yet to fight/play as.
4. You might want to look over your controls a bit before starting, the defaults currently are by no means perfect. Keep in mind you don't have mouse aim, this is much more like a typical metroidvania-style control scheme, with shooting forward or angling shots. The mouse still works in most menus though, for obvious reasons.
5. Sound effects aren't done yet, its using the sound effects from the original currently. Also, people who have played AI War extensively might recognize some of the music, since even though its rather awesome that it can fit in another game, its only there while they finish up what isn't done for the actual intended music.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 05:45:48 am »

Also, the new art by heavy cat studios. Shouldn't bring the art complaints back. Looks quite nice from the WIP pics they've posted on the arcen forums.

It looks nothing close to nice.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 10:25:05 am »

Well I think it looks nice. And thats really all there is to say about that, because these are opinions and I didn't revive the thread to have an art debate, unless you'd like to be more specific about what looks bad to you?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13:52 am »

So it's only free if you bought the first...
Damn it.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:46 am »

You get both if you pick up one of them, but yeah. Its not entirely free.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:11 am »

I just hope they can afford it.

There were a couple posts hinting at constant financial pressure.
Giving away AVWW 2 for free for everybody owning AVWW 1 won't help, i bet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »

Apparently this is out now!  Anybody planning to try it out?  Its on my list of things to try, but I'm busy with 4 other games right now, and probably won't be able to get to it for about a month.  If anybody is trying it out, I'd love to hear what you think of it.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »

So they finally decided to get an art team? Interesting...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »

So they finally decided to get an art team? Interesting...
No they just paid heavy cat to do the art, its not really 'Arcen now has an art team'. Though heavy cat also did some art for Shattered Haven, which arcen is planning to release soon-ish as well.

Anyway, for anyone interested I could make a multiplayer server.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »

Ehhh.

I have negative impressions after trying this release too, and for different reasons than AVWW1. Just as Arcen stated, there's much less of a focus on the side view combat map stuff, and that was already repetitive in the first game. The strategy game is alright, I guess, but way back when, I was promised "metroidvania" gameplay and procedural content. This is all still technically true, but only in the most shallow sense.

Whatever, though. It was, what, 10-20 bucks way back when? I've had my enjoyment out of the first one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 03:52:36 pm »

Its certainly not the first game. But it could be better, or worse, like most things, and I'm not exactly picky about what I'm playing except for genres I'm terrible at and games that have obvious glaring problems in them, and this is neither.

But it was certainly worth what Valley1 cost. I've had fun.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3