Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441098 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1275 on: August 02, 2018, 02:37:20 pm »

No reason to be sad about that. You can still use it for escapism, and getting older just means we've successfully not died yet. Which means we've played more games than the people who are the protagonist's ages! So I think we win.

It's when you're playing Soul Reaver and realizing you're older than the protagonist that maybe things aren't going so well.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:14 pm »

About the time you realize all these teen superhero movies are transparently wish-fulfillment for teen audiences, about teens trying desperately to feel important and relevant. Their growing physical and mental powers as humans are magnified in the superpowers they have. The unfairness of their environment and the depth of their emotions are similarly magnified so that everyone who doesn't care day-to-day will see how strongly teens feel about normal things. People have to pay attention to them because these teens are important.

You start to see things around you fall apart into tropes, as if viewing them through a filter that lets you see the four lines of code that describe them in the Matrix.

That girl is mad because her latte was prepared with almond milk. This country is on a downward economic and cultural spiral and everyone listens to the people who have the wrong ideas about it. That politician is crooked. This one isn't, but he's a pervert. That one is both, and also has an awful face, but he's the tallest so of course everyone will vote for him. This economic model is untenable, but that economic model encourages eventual inequality and revolution. A third model is chosen strictly because its proponents had a better flag.

About the time you recognize the nature of reality people stop listening to you. And then you're priced out of the housing market or your life's work is stolen by a dictator or you quietly go mad from loneliness. Isolated, a hermit, you shuffle toward oblivion.

Lying on your deathbed, you send a letter to your very special grandchild. "I want you to have this sealed envelope."
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 02, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »

So probably ranging from 19-30ish? Harvey, Emily, and Shane are all definitely older. As is Leah, though probably younger than the other 3. I assume Eliott as well, though I honestly haven't gotten far enough in his friendship line to know.

I'd put Leah as older than Shane. Probably Fabio Elliot is older than him too. I'd agree with Harvey and Emily* being the oldest though.

*The best indicator of Emily's age is that she attends the exercise class with the community matrons. Well, that and being Clint's love interest.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:17:54 pm by E. Albright »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 02, 2018, 10:07:59 pm »

Leah gave me the impression of being in her early forties. It's all ambiguous on purpose, but she does kind of talk to the protagonist as though she's slightly older than the player.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 03, 2018, 08:56:33 am »

So I'm poised to get into this again, as my GF has started up a server to try out multiplayer along with her younger sister.

Now, last time I played was before 1.1, so there are a lot of things I need to get reacquainted with. It's the forest farm, but I think for solo I'd probably try out the hilltop farm as it seems like it might have the "bestest" benefits all around. Hardwood is awful nice though.

I'm also wondering about changing what professions I end up teching up as... I'd picked up crab potting and the bait-free trash cycle extravaganza in my original run, but I've heard good things about going down the active fishing line and boosting that treasure find rate. This will also tie in nicely with the fact that I find fishing quite passable, while both my GF and her sister absolutely hate having to do it.

I'd also gone for scout/desperado in my combat tree before, but I'm thinking that maybe just stacking raw damage might be the better choice, all things considered. Critchance doesn't really seem high enough to avoid Overkill's law: If a critical hit can deal more than an enemy's total health, it will trigger once the enemy is already nearly dead.

So far I haven't seen anything to convince me about going for forester/lumberjack instead of gatherer/botanist, especially if we're going to be on the forest farm anyways. Tapper strikes me as a complete whiff of a profession, and tracker... Again, limited value, especially considering how amazing botanist is (does it still work on truffles? I think it might still work on truffles, which is hilarious).

For mining, I don't really remember what I took the first time around, but my thinking is that geodes are probably the way to go, so geologist/excavator.

That leaves the big one, farming professions... Now, I went with the busted tiller/artisan last time, and it's a dickens trying to argue for anything that isn't specifically that. I mean, the bonus is just to big and too applicable, how are you supposed to compete with that?  Sure, shepherd being able to shear +20% value wool every day on happy animals is... well, a thing. But does that really outdo getting +40% value on every single thing classed as an artisan good, including cloth woven from said wool?

Only thing I can think of that might compete would be raising ducks and using coopmaster to both befriend them faster (increasing value) and incubate faster, so you just keep a constant stream of happy duck exports going until the world is filled with egg-laying mallards (they may be confused, but at least they're happy). Ducks only lay eggs every other day, which is fine enough to keep up with incubation and duck rotation. But then you have to name all the little bastards and then part with them once they've grown to love you, which is pretty damn harsh, man...

There's also of course the question of what "role" I'll be asked to fill, provided we start specializing towards various aspects on the server. Was just wondering if anyone here had some thoughts regarding the whole hullabaloo of farmcrafting.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 03, 2018, 11:42:26 am »

Depends on how professions work in multiplayer. A shepherd paired with Artisan would dominate the farms, while crab pot fishers guarantee a string of deluxe fertilizers for free with slime ranching.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 03, 2018, 12:11:02 pm »

From my experience playing the beta, the profession bonuses apply to the individual, not to the group. You all level up separately, and can choose your own bonuses, which apply to you only.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 03, 2018, 12:53:33 pm »

From my experience playing the beta, the profession bonuses apply to the individual, not to the group. You all level up separately, and can choose your own bonuses, which apply to you only.

So, then, is sale price of an object determined by who drops it off into the bin? I haven't played yet, I was under the impression that everyone shared a communal farm.

And for things like shepherd, is it the person who bought the sheep that gets the wool production bonus for that sheep? The person who built the farm? Who sheared them last?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:54 pm »

You do indeed share a farm, and all money is shared as well, so entirely a group effort. Unless you're both interested in the same marriageable villager, in which case it becomes a fight to the death polite disagreement.

I'm pretty sure sell price is determined entirely by who puts the item in the bin. So if you have skills that increase the sell price of animal goods, make sure YOU are the one who ships those goods off.
Corrected by Glloyd - The host's bonuses determine shipping bin prices.

As far as production, I'm pretty sure those skills apply when you collect the item in question. So in the case of sheep-shearing, make sure the guy who's good at shearing does the job.

Edit - An additional note: all EXP gain occurs the moment whatever task you're performing is completed. So if somebody chops a tree until it's 1 hit away from falling, then somebody else finishes it off, the person who delivered the coup-de-grace is the one who gets all of the EXP. Same applies to farming; the one who pulls the grown plant out of the ground gets ALL of the EXP, regardless of who watered it for days on end. Unless they changed it since the beta. Pretty sure that's not the case.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:11:07 pm by Nighthawk »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 03, 2018, 01:32:44 pm »

According to Reddit people, the game only cares about the host's bonuses when selling via your shipping box and clients should go sell to shops if they've got a bonus the host doesn't.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 03, 2018, 01:40:47 pm »

You do indeed share a farm, and all money is shared as well, so entirely a group effort. Unless you're both interested in the same marriageable villager, in which case it becomes a fight to the death polite disagreement.

I'm pretty sure sell price is determined entirely by who puts the item in the bin. So if you have skills that increase the sell price of animal goods, make sure YOU are the one who ships those goods off.

As far as production, I'm pretty sure those skills apply when you collect the item in question. So in the case of sheep-shearing, make sure the guy who's good at shearing does the job.

Edit - An additional note: all EXP gain occurs the moment whatever task you're performing is completed. So if somebody chops a tree until it's 1 hit away from falling, then somebody else finishes it off, the person who delivered the coup-de-grace is the one who gets all of the EXP. Same applies to farming; the one who pulls the grown plant out of the ground gets ALL of the EXP, regardless of who watered it for days on end. Unless they changed it since the beta. Pretty sure that's not the case.

See, the thing about the shepherd's bonus is that it reduces the number of days needed for the sheep to regrow its wool. So for a happy sheep owned by someone who isn't a shepherd, they regrow their wool and can be sheared once every other day. For someone who is a shepherd, that becomes every day. I'm just trying to figure out how that would get applied to the sheep in question.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 04, 2018, 12:23:36 am »

Shit, time to go hit up the sad thread. I'm getting to that age where I'm older than most game protagonists and their love interests.

mfw pam is not a love interest

darling i will wait for you  o/

jk, i'm all about that guy that lives in the woods in a caveman outfit.

gotta check out this new update

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 04, 2018, 05:55:10 am »

People have been asking for some way of giving Linus a home, either by building him one or bringing him into yours, for ages. I dunno, the guy honestly seems fairly content just developing operating systems in his tent along with his blankie... not sure how he'd adapt to a more "civilized" life.

Just wish he could feel a bit more accepted by people and open up a little.

Anyways, as for multiplaying, we're already almost halfway through summer of year 1. I've been going ham with fishing most of the time, and between spring 20 (when I first joined the server) and summer 7 reached a little over level 5 in fishing. Gotten several of the bundles out of the way, and have a largemouth bass ready and WAITING for when Jodi sends that dinner invitation of hers...

We somehow managed to miss the summer luau though, as we were faffing around trying to pass potluck ingredients back and forth, and apparently entered the beach after 2 pm. Isn't there normally a warning when an event is about to end? Ah well.

GF hasn't had a repeat of her ridiculous luck from the first time playing, where she unearthed an ancient seed within the first week of spring. This was after my own character had spent almost two years searching, without success.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 04, 2018, 06:30:57 am »

I feel like it's less that Linus is a hobo and more like that's just his preferred lifestyle. Woulda be dumb if he wanted a house.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:07 am »

Version 1.3: Mayor Lewis' shorts may now be added to the luau soup pot.

I... Well then.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 91