Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441038 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1185 on: October 05, 2016, 04:40:25 am »

Aren't doves, in some cultures, a symbol for a dead person's soul escaping? Because seriously, that is kinda seriously fucked up.
They don't call it the Bright Shrine Of ILoveChildrenAWholeHuggyBunch for a reason.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 05, 2016, 06:54:15 am »

A little bit of wiki-walking from there led me to another new 1.1 feature...
Quote from: Witch's Hut
Dark Shrine of Selfishness: Allows you to turn your children into doves (Gets rid of them forever).
...what.  What what what. 
As a dad, this is a horrifying thought.

Aren't doves, in some cultures, a symbol for a dead person's soul escaping? Because seriously, that is kinda seriously fucked up.

I think ConcernedApe did a good job of what he was going for- making you feel like a steaming heap of shit for using and throwing away his characters. From the whole Joja vs the community narrative to these shrines, chances are good that he wanted to implement a sort of morality test, and make players regret making choices without empathy.

Or hey, maybe the guy just likes doves! :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:56:21 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 05, 2016, 06:01:27 pm »

I like that he still gave you the option to get rid of the kids anyway. I mean, it's a soft commentary on abortion right? It's a choice you are allowed to make, but it can still be a pretty rough experience. It's gonna hurt, but some people still think it's worth it.

...Regardless, I'm way more than happy about the new maps, too. I'm having a tough time deciding between the forest map and the wilderness map with the golems. I'm currently running a wilderness map. I love the denseness of the two maps.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 05, 2016, 06:35:39 pm »

Yeah, I want to start up a new character next. Really can't decide what map I like best, though. They're all pretty neat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 05, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »

Oh my god it doesn't matter there is multiple save files yummy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 05, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »

I still want to wait for multiplayer. Hnnng. Don't want to start a new game now.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 05, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »

Oh my god it doesn't matter there is multiple save files yummy.

Ayup! A word of warning though, don't be tempted by the wilderness farm, unless you enjoy combat for combat's sake, or that added risk. The mobs don't really drop anything of value, and the open space is a little less than the default farm.  feel like the Forest and Hilltop are the most useful in reverse order, and the latter really won me over with it's quaint little valley look.

All in all, I feel like they might have rebalanced the combat since February. I am wiping at the bottom of the mines much more frequently than before (which was never). I mean, there's a good 20% I don't make it out in one piece. Linus and I have become good friends. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 05, 2016, 09:03:37 pm »

I always thought it was one of these 50's hairstyles.

It pretty clearly is. 5m of trying to find a good example of that look in a photo weren't terribly fruitful (not-so-great example), but in any case, that definitely isn't pigtails. That's a pageboy cut with rolled curls at the bottom.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:12:34 pm by E. Albright »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 05, 2016, 10:22:18 pm »

Huh. Actually, you may be right, now that I look at it. Welp, back in love with Penners.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1194 on: October 07, 2016, 04:15:07 am »

With the new maps available, I feel like I have to do an LP now. I haven't made any videos in months (no time), but if I do one video per in-game day, that's short enough (and requires almost no editing). I'll have to go for the hill-top map and make myself an Urist. I'm thinking over some kind of challenge. Obviously the focus will be on mining and removing all trees, plants, etc. from the farm and paving over as much of it as possible. Should Urist be allowed to farm? Maybe only certain crops? And what about the community center - I've already gotten the achievement for restoring it, so maybe I'll go the Joja route and be evil. Hmmmmmm. Ideas?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 07, 2016, 04:37:40 am »

With the new maps available, I feel like I have to do an LP now. I haven't made any videos in months (no time), but if I do one video per in-game day, that's short enough (and requires almost no editing). I'll have to go for the hill-top map and make myself an Urist. I'm thinking over some kind of challenge. Obviously the focus will be on mining and removing all trees, plants, etc. from the farm and paving over as much of it as possible. Should Urist be allowed to farm? Maybe only certain crops? And what about the community center - I've already gotten the achievement for restoring it, so maybe I'll go the Joja route and be evil. Hmmmmmm. Ideas?

Sure, go for Joja, not many Youtubers (that I know of) tend to do this.
You don't need to pave over everything.
Any crops will do really, even Dorves need to eat.
But you should be making beverages of the crops as soon as you can. (And maybe a little cheese making?)
It's the Dwarfiest thing to do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:39:59 am by Ultimuh »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 07, 2016, 05:29:27 am »

You should do this, Sappho! I'll be cheering you on.

For crops, maybe focus on roots and tubers? For Spring, you have parsnips and potatoes (and later garlic). In Summer there are radishes and hops (the latter is a necessary exception, I think we can all agree :P), and for Fall there are yams (and beets, for round two.) In addition to what you grow and anything you forage, you should brew EVERYTHING. That could be your really money maker. :P

Oh! And male or female character, don't forget the beard! XD

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1197 on: October 07, 2016, 05:32:53 am »

Oh! And male or female character, don't forget the beard! XD

Already on that. ;) And I do LOVE that the game lets you make your character look however you want regardless of the gender you choose. I'll be a dwarfy beardy lady. Obviously I'll be brewing everything as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to this now. I'll start this evening (though I can't promise when I'll have access to fast enough internet to upload videos... le sigh).

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 07, 2016, 05:38:45 am »

Going Jojo just locks you out of content. It could work if you're going for a shorter series where you rush through the game though.

If you're looking for an interesting challenge then the Riverlands map is by far the most interesting choice. While it's not the most dwarven RP choice the lack of arable land will force you into fishing and artisan goods. It also seems like it has the potential for the most aesthetically pleasing farm (which is a must for all DF players).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 07, 2016, 01:25:37 pm »

Abagail is without a doubt the most dwarfy of the girls, though. She eats rocks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 91