Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441127 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #855 on: March 08, 2016, 11:29:50 pm »

You're right to be worried. Just stroll over to the Starbound thread and you'll see a few close-minded people saying they won't touch a good game just because of the publisher.

As far as I'm concerned, I love Risk Of Rain, Stardew Valley is a game I would actually recommend to people (something I rarely do; I did shill RoR to my B12 friends, and I bought Undertale for a friend, but that's largely it), and Starbound is just kind of meh. I at least had some fun with that playing with Draignean. CF is basically 2 for 3 with me, possibly 3 for 3, and I don't think they've quite earned the hate some people have for them.

I would compare it somewhat to EA. I'll never buy another Bioware game, but only because the last 4 Bioware games I bought were disappointing, not because EA is publishing them.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 08, 2016, 11:36:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:35:48 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:05 am »

I preordered Starbound; I've been with it, played all the builds since it was available to play.

It's ... meh is a good way to put it, I think? I do very much think they've handled it horrendously, and given in too much to the temptation to START AGAINNNN instead of just working on the original vision. I don't like it singleplayer, but multiplayer is pretty fun - if you have a good server, which, unfortunately it's ... pretty unstable. I've only played it modded as well, as vanilla is just ... it deserves a pass.

But Risk of Rain and Stardew are both excellent games, so I am glad I got over my prejudice in that regard. It's sad to see that some people can't, even though really CF's only bad game is ... well, the game CF made  :P

A little more on topic, I decided to self-challenge in Stardew starting with Y2.

Spoiler: Sustainable Farming (click to show/hide)
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:18 am »

Think you can define what your doing a bit clearer for me? Sounds like an interesting challenge to undertake...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 09, 2016, 03:13:22 am »

I would compare it somewhat to EA. I'll never buy another Bioware game, but only because the last 4 Bioware games I bought were disappointing, not because EA is publishing them.

Only difference here is that EA is a publisher that acquires the studios that makes the games, and therefore meddles with them. I don't think Chucklefish had any power over CA like EA has over, say, Maxis, DICE and Bioware.
Example, I don't think DICE would make Battlefield Star Wars Battlefront a game of a thousand DLCs if it wasn't for EA, and things like that.

So, to me, it's okay to hate EA as a publisher, but hating Chucklefish at publishing to the point of not buying a game published by them doesn't seem to make a lot of sense - unless you don't care about the game.
I'd rather have CA with some other publisher, of course.  :P Seeing the CF logo makes me cringe every time I launch the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:21:27 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 09, 2016, 03:18:09 am »

Think you can define what your doing a bit clearer for me? Sounds like an interesting challenge to undertake...

Sure. It's pretty simple.

I wish it was possible starting from the beginning, but without access to seed-making it's not, unfortunately.

Edit: Although, if it would be possible to mod in or edit a save to have one seed maker, it could be. Which would be pretty fun.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2016, 03:20:33 am »

I think I may have broken my wife. Every day of the week, she lies in bed all day long, and when I speak to her, all she has to say for herself is something like, "I just want to stay in bed all day." Then, I plead with her to get out of bed and come help me run the farm, lest we starve during the coming winter, but she just keeps kissing me. o.O
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:44 am »

The animal must be sick, it's time to sacrifice it...
Oops!

How many hearts do you have with her? If you have 11 hearts, sometimes she'll just want to stay on bed. If you have just 10 hearts, I believe she gets even more grumpy. With 12 hearts I don't remember the grumpiness ever happening.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:52 am »

Only difference here is that EA is a publisher that acquires the studios that makes the games, and therefore meddles with them. I don't think Chucklefish had any power over CA like EA has over, say, Maxis, DICE and Bioware.
Example, I don't think DICE would make Battlefield Star Wars Battlefront a game of a thousand DLCs if it wasn't for EA, and things like that.

So, to me, it's okay to hate EA as a publisher, but hating Chucklefish at publishing to the point of not buying a game published by them doesn't seem to make a lot of sense - unless you don't care about the game.
I'd rather have CA with some other publisher, of course.  :P Seeing the CF logo makes me cringe every time I launch the game.

Yeah, it doesn't seem Chucklefish has pushed ConcernedApe in any way. They just did what any decent publisher should do: do the logistics to publish a game, without any meddling.

There's a ton of rabid, overblown hate for CF because they couldn't make their main, 15-dollar game Heaven on Earth, the masterpiece videogame of all time. So they began publishing other games. Who cares. So they are taking their time finishing Starbound. Not a big deal: they've been making steady progress. And in the meantime, there's a thousand other games to play.

Until Starbound actually crashes and burns (which doomsayers have been saying is imminent for months on end), and isn't even worthy of its modest pricetag, there's no justification for more than a fraction of the hate Chucklefish is getting. It's mainly fuelled by impatience and impossible expectations.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:15 am »

Huh, it appears that there is a tangible benefit from hitting the top rating during the evaluation.

edit: also apparently in the beta build, CA has added the ability to give the shrine a diamond to give a reevaluation. So once that get's pushed to the main build, oddball farm choices won't lock you out of eventually reaching completion.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:19:46 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 09, 2016, 10:23:41 am »

Huh, it appears that there is a tangible benefit from hitting the top rating during the evaluation.

edit: also apparently in the beta build, CA has added the ability to give the shrine a diamond to give a reevaluation. So once that get's pushed to the main build, oddball farm choices won't lock you out of eventually reaching completion.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:20 am »

I need a spoiler answer on what to do with Ancient Seed. The min/max player in me, fear to use it, lol.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

I need a spoiler answer on what to do with Ancient Seed. The min/max player in me, fear to use it, lol.

What I'm about to say really isn't a spoiler.

Some plants can grow in multiple seasons. I think this may even be stated on corn.

Spoiler: Actual minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2016, 12:26:59 pm »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2016, 05:06:09 pm »

That sounds better. As I said before, I don't like a final evaluation on an open-ended game that lasts dozens of hours to 'complete'. The diamond thing sounds really great.

And about BigD145 question:
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 91