Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441337 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #585 on: March 02, 2016, 07:07:29 am »

I don't have any particularly strong opinions (for or against) of the current save system.
However while I do see the points of those against it, I find that it adds to the whole "Harvest Moon" feel to the game.
But maybe that's just me being nostalgic.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #586 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22:06 am »

I really don't think nostalgia is a good reason to not fix something that was broken in the original HM. I'm not against it saving when you go to sleep and all, but it should quicksave when you quit at any other time and reload (and delete, that's fine) the quicksave when you start playing again. A pretty large chunk of players now are in their 30s with lives and job and families and shit to do. Punishing anyone who can't sit through a whole day is just stupid.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 02, 2016, 08:01:35 am »

Think I have found a bug...
I can no longer extract hay from the silo via the Coop's dispenser. It doesn't increase the amount in my inventory. I emptied the whole then before realizing it. Luckily. I was planning on Pulling the current one down as I noticed I could have fitted another coop in where it was, gonna move it to the sides of the future barn I feel...
Anyway I think Bug, can anyone else test???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 02, 2016, 09:34:31 am »

Is your horse supposed to show up on the NPC list? I'm wondering if it is meant to be that way or if it is a bug caused by him sharing the same name as one of the villagers.

I don't think it's supposed to. I have my dog on the list and it also shares a name with one of the villagers.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 02, 2016, 09:51:11 am »

-All scarecrows now give reports on their crow-scaring activity.

Did rarecrows not do this before? I know for a fact my normal scarecrow did in the initial release version.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 02, 2016, 10:35:06 am »

His current response to the plethora of requests for "save and quit" is "I don't want people to save scum" and "it would be too hard to implement".

To be fair, that sort of thing is difficult to implement if you don't design for it from the very beginning.  Unfortunately I doubt we'll see it happen unless he makes a paid expansion or sequel.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 02, 2016, 10:47:32 am »

-All scarecrows now give reports on their crow-scaring activity.

Did rarecrows not do this before? I know for a fact my normal scarecrow did in the initial release version.

They didn't, which was weird. I also found a rarecrow can be bought multiple times. Poor dev, so many fixes to do.  :P

Is your horse supposed to show up on the NPC list? I'm wondering if it is meant to be that way or if it is a bug caused by him sharing the same name as one of the villagers.

I don't think it's supposed to. I have my dog on the list and it also shares a name with one of the villagers.

Wow, nice bug you guys found. What are your animals names? Hahaha

Think I have found a bug...
I can no longer extract hay from the silo via the Coop's dispenser.
Did you check if there's any hay on the silo? Because if it's empty it won't warn you, so the character keeps pulling and nothing comes out. I have a ton of animals now (gotta build another silo before winter) and had no issues with it.

The faster growing grass seemed to have balanced my growth vs. consumption pretty well, but I haven't played 1.04 that much yet.

Regarding the community of the game and their reactions (with the save system, etc), I think it's a really weird community. People complain about bugs repeatedly on Steam forums, but when you report it on official forum/Twitter or even on Steam, not even 5 minutes later there'll be people weighing in and uploading screenshots of the same issue.
And a lot of criticism is met with fanboyism, which I don't understand. Did the game have an army of beta testers who are now white knighting?
I'm probably the most compulsive (non-stalker) player here, and I think criticism is 200% valid given that the dev have, most likely, plans for the future.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:01 am »

The only thing that bothers me about the first justification (I'm perfectly fine with the justification that it's difficult to code in) is that it seems to be trivially easy to save-scum in large part because the game does not save when you quit.  Load up the day, and if you don't like what happens in it, you can always exit to desktop and restart the day.  I haven't tested it yet since I'm still mostly just playing normally, but I'm not sure if weather is calculated after save load or if the day's weather is a part of the save (that is, if save-scumming will change your day's weather).  A "save on quit" feature wouldn't completely stop save-scumming (kill process, f'rex), but it would make it a bit harder. 

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 02, 2016, 11:22:10 am »

Regarding the community of the game and their reactions (with the save system, etc), I think it's a really weird community. People complain about bugs repeatedly on Steam forums, but when you report it on official forum/Twitter or even on Steam, not even 5 minutes later there'll be people weighing in and uploading screenshots of the same issue.
And a lot of criticism is met with fanboyism, which I don't understand. Did the game have an army of beta testers who are now white knighting?
I'm probably the most compulsive (non-stalker) player here, and I think criticism is 200% valid given that the dev have, most likely, plans for the future.

There is a certain generation/mindset of Americans/people that will defend most anything against the criticism of others, constructive or not. They are well connected enough to react quickly and obviously have nothing else important going on in their lives. They are sad, empty people trying to fill a void as a social animal, it's just too bad they pick such pointless fights. Ask them what they really want to do with their lives and they'll shrug and say, "I dunno. Whatever." They will put their voice and weight in favor of things that will absolutely make their own lives worse. "Someone is being 'attacked' and I must defend them. I'm coming to save you, Pol Pot."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:24:48 am by BigD145 »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 02, 2016, 11:35:57 am »

Do tree stumps grow back? I've had a few stumps sitting by the bus stop for over a season and not growing. On the farm, it looks like some have grown back while others had saplings spawn around them, but that might be just random spawns.

I don't know about stumps regrowing...but if you clear the stump, a new sapling will appear in it's place in a day or two.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »

Stumps regrow in ten days, at least on the farm.

I've also just noticed that tilling the dirt in the forest south of the farm encourages wild food to grow there en masse.

E: You may need to water them too, this happened on a rainy day.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:13:19 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 02, 2016, 12:42:15 pm »

I fished up an Ancient Seed. Now I'm curious about when to plant it. I'm thinking start of Summer since I'm already 14 days into Spring.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 02, 2016, 12:45:42 pm »

If it's a multiple season thing then you don't need to worry about losing it when the seasons change, same with corn.

Also what's the other way to get that seed. Folks seem to indicate it's a reward from the museum. I got some sort of star seed from it as my first or second reward I think, not sure if it's the same thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 02, 2016, 12:49:06 pm »

-snip-

Damn. That was too real. But I get you.

I fished up an Ancient Seed. Now I'm curious about when to plant it. I'm thinking start of Summer since I'm already 14 days into Spring.
I planted it on spring and it's still alright on summer. It survives in all seasons except winter.

I have a growing army now, and I'm getting ready to take over the world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: For a more Harvest Moon-y experience, F4 hides the HUD.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 02, 2016, 12:59:33 pm »

What's the point of pigs if you can't butcher? Selling them?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 91