Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441387 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #510 on: February 29, 2016, 12:33:33 pm »

I gotta say the price of hay is really ridiculous - especially since grass doesn't regrow, nor does it spread quickly at all. If there wasn't a rancher profession I wouldn't be so bothered, but as it is it just feels completely imbalanced.

I'm loving this game but honestly I'll probably stick to one chicken and one cow just for the sake of having them, but other than that unless it's patched animals are a novelty at best. Which is sad, because I always love raising a lot of animals in HM games.

I'm adoring this game other than that though.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 29, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »

If you have a silo, you get fodder when you cut grass. That's where the intended balance is.

People have been reporting planting Grass Starters and waiting whole seasons for very little additional grass to grow.
I planted a patch of 10 grass and in 10 days it only grew maybe 2 or 3 new tiles..which is pretty terrible.

Can't make hay if grass isn't growing.

Anyone able to say if using star quality ingredients effects items made from it? Just randomly picked up a gold star quartz and would like to know if smelting it to refined quartz would be worthwhile or if it is better to keep for gifting/selling.

I haven't tried smelting yet...but I preserved a lot of silver and gold starred crops before noticing that the preserves created were all of the same quality and price as preserves made from normal crops.

Hmm yep, from what I've noticied every Artisan Good becomes normal quality even using great quality crops. I've only seen Mayonaisse change quality (with better eggs, I think).
I constantly smelt things (great quality included) and the refined versions come out normal quality.

And.. I wonder if the refined thing shouldn't have been inside a spoiler? Because it took me 4 seasons for me to discover that and it made me sad.  ::)

PS: The only person I've read not complaining about the grass thing, was a guy who made a 12x6 enclosure and planted 10 grass starters, and claim he never ran out.
I might be able to test this out with cows when I reach Spring, because my chicken coop is poorly placed.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:50:29 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 29, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

It's sad that the grass completely disappear when eaten or cut. Real grass will grow back up as long as you do not uproot it. It would make much more sense, and make buying grass pack for your enclosures actually worthwhile.

Do note that sheep in real life do eat down to the root, meaning the grass does have to be replanted. But it's still ridiculous that cows or even chickens do this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 29, 2016, 01:45:24 pm »

Sheesh, all this talk about animals makes me pine for the days of Friends of Mineral Town, which did animals perfectly. Chickens, when left outside on sunny days, fed themselves with no need for grass. You could grow corn in the summer and grind it up in the water mill for chicken feed to use when it was raining/snowing. Grass took a long time to start growing, but never needed to be replanted; a cow or chicken would eat a tile or two per day, which would grow back in a few days. You could also harvest the grass with a scythe in order to make fodder for rainy days (or during the winter, when grass does not grow and can't be eaten), but it would take nearly a week to grow back in that case. You threw high-quality eggs into the mayo machine and you got high-quality mayo. Same with milk and wool with their respective makers.

Man I'm all nostalgic now.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 29, 2016, 01:53:13 pm »

Sheesh, all this talk about animals makes me pine for the days of Friends of Mineral Town, which did animals perfectly. Chickens, when left outside on sunny days, fed themselves with no need for grass. You could grow corn in the summer and grind it up in the water mill for chicken feed to use when it was raining/snowing. Grass took a long time to start growing, but never needed to be replanted; a cow or chicken would eat a tile or two per day, which would grow back in a few days. You could also harvest the grass with a scythe in order to make fodder for rainy days (or during the winter, when grass does not grow and can't be eaten), but it would take nearly a week to grow back in that case. You threw high-quality eggs into the mayo machine and you got high-quality mayo. Same with milk and wool with their respective makers.

It was like that all the way back in Back to Nature on the PS1 as well.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 29, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »

This is how ANB and Story of Seasons is - you plant grass which regrows every ~2 days, the animals eat one tile each per day ... I do miss chickens feeding themselves (SoS at least you still have to give them feed) but man, the regrowing grass and decent pacing of it made animals so much more fun. FoMT definitely wasn't the first one to do the regrowing or the self feeding chickens though. Now I'm all nostalgic for Back to Nature.

If SDV could change to regrowing or even just make grass grow FASTER it would be the perfect game for me, honestly.

It's a little ridiculous, imo. I mean, a parsnip grows in 4 days, but my grass won't grow more than like one tile in a week? Kinda silly, honestly, even disregarding realism. It just doesn't make sense.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01:18 pm »

FoMT was my very first Harvest Moon, and I never owned a PS1 :P
Still, sounds like the old ways might be best in this area.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 29, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »

I have a suspicion that grass grows faster the more of it there is, so 1 tile grows really slow, but 50 tiles of grass grows more sustainably. I haven't had the ingame time to test it but from idle observation of the wild grasses that seems to be the case.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:19 pm »

The only issue I had on Back To Nature was that moving animals around was 100% manual, right? So I'd just give up moving things in and out of places and the animals would get sick rather frequently...
I remember playing A Wonderful Life on a friend's Game Cube and I believe there was a simple switch to get animals in and out of places or something like that.
Then again, I could've been doing it wrong, because I was an utter noob at Back to Nature.

And I just had my first crash on Stardew Valley. Ironically, I had baked 10 Chocolate Cakes to discover who loves it and who hates it, and I mostly got neutral responses.

I have a suspicion that grass grows faster the more of it there is, so 1 tile grows really slow, but 50 tiles of grass grows more sustainably. I haven't had the ingame time to test it but from idle observation of the wild grasses that seems to be the case.
Yep, and the more space it has to spread the better..however, having to spend 5k to have a decent patch of grass seem a little overkill.  ::)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 29, 2016, 02:40:16 pm »

I've seen others on the steam forum at least planting several pieces of grass and it still grow unsustainably slow, once the animals are eating it. I can't imagine a reasonably large farm while also sustainably raising animals. It seems like you'd need to devote most of your space to grass to raise just a few.

I mean, yes, faster, but not at a good pace unless that's most all you want on your farm.

The only issue I had on Back To Nature was that moving animals around was 100% manual, right? So I'd just give up moving things in and out of places and the animals would get sick rather frequently...
I remember playing A Wonderful Life on a friend's Game Cube and I believe there was a simple switch to get animals in and out of places or something like that.
Then again, I could've been doing it wrong, because I was an utter noob at Back to Nature.

Nah, that's correct about BtN. I hated moving animals in and out. AWL was much nicer in that I'm pretty sure you're right - it's been a while, but I think there was an inside/outside like ... a bell maybe?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:14 pm »

Nah, that's correct about BtN. I hated moving animals in and out. AWL was much nicer in that I'm pretty sure you're right - it's been a while, but I think there was an inside/outside like ... a bell maybe?

There was a bell for BtN as well.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 29, 2016, 03:11:26 pm »

I'm not sure about cows since I've had those only a short amount of time, but my four chickens still haven't gone trough their 35 tiles of grass in the time that they've been out, which was most of summer and fall. They still have atleast a third left by my estimates. The two cows seem to be going trough it a bit faster but still nothing unmanageable. As far as winter goes, I'll need about 170 pieces of hay, I've got about 130-ish after clearing most of the unattended grass around the farm, gonna leave it a bit longer now and probably cut it all on the last day of fall. My guess is it'll last me trough winter and a bit of spring before the enclosed grass starts growing again, being able to have them out for most of summer and fall again.

Also at this point I'm not too worried about cash tbh, had my big fall harvest and made about 7k gold in total. Will probably upgrade the house and buy some trees now, to prepare for next year.

If you're struggling with money past spring tho, you should seriously consider investing a bunch of resources into the more passive sources like bee hives and tappers. If you're having any chickens definitely go for mayo makers (2 are enough it seems, since it takes less than half a day to process an egg). While the iron requirement for the bees is a bit much, once you can reliably get it (either trough mining or transmutation) nothing is really stopping you from having enough beehives to get a jar out every day as some sort of baseline income.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 29, 2016, 05:25:12 pm »

Interesting.  Does fertilizer not carry over from season to season?  I just entered Fall Y1, and it vanished from around my corn, as well as my empty plots.  That might be a wee bit bothersome if I'm to achieve the Quality Crops bundle in the first year. 

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:33 pm »

So a bit off topic, but I found a neat thing posted on Reddit.
It's a farm planner.
Now you can picture what your farm will look like without any of the guesswork. Probably could have used this a bit sooner myself. Oh well.
It's fairly basic right now, only allowing you to paint tiles different colors, but in the future there may be sprite support for a better idea of what stuff will actually look like.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 29, 2016, 06:13:27 pm »

Not sure about seasons, but fertilizer will vanish if you don't plant anything on it in a few days. The tilled soil will also go back to normal sometimes.
And I was too lazy to do the Quality Crops bundle...and the Fishing Tank one too...but now I regret it. Only will be able to finish these on second year.

As I said before, I've got a crash (3, actually), when going to sleep during the Winter..so I recommend everyone to make a backup of your save when reaching Winter just in case. It doesn't feel good when a game crashes on the saving screen.  :P
Saves are at your user folder ../Roaming/StardewValley/Saves.
Someone on Steam forum said it might crash when going to sleep after you roam the Mines. I can't confirm that, but indeed all crashes happened after I had roamed in levels 40-70, and it didn't crash on other days.

E: I already bumped the threads about this on Steam and official forum.
E2: Someone just tweeted the dev about it and he replied.

So a bit off topic, but I found a neat thing posted on Reddit.
It's a farm planner.

Oh, neat! Thanks! I used a weird buggy tool to find a good position for my scarecrows with the new 8 tile range, but this will be way better.  :P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:18:16 pm by Gabeux »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 91