Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441367 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2016, 10:32:26 am »

Had a rough first few days.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2016, 11:08:57 am »

I agree on the "can only save at night" thing. That's just nonsense. It's 2016. Our computers can handle saving whenever we want. I'm a busy grownup with things to do. I don't always have the time to finish my day before quitting, and sometimes I have to quit unexpectedly - and that's damned annoying when it's 4 pm or so and you're on the other side of the map from your bed. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any design reason whatsoever to have us unable to save at other times, other than a nostalgic throwback to Harvest Moon. I wonder if the developer would be open to adding a "save and quit" feature so we can quit anytime and pick up where we left off, if enough people request it?

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2016, 11:35:30 am »

yeah, definitly the save at night thing is one of the biggest minor flaws of the game.
it would be nice if the current run speed was walk speed and their was a faster sprint speed or something. You do unlock a couple fast-travel locations via some spoilerific stuff that makes atleast going from the mine to the blacksmith and back home a bit faster.
Im 10 hours in, and about day 8 in first summer.
I'm really enjoying it, and kinda doing everything.. upgraded everything i could to copper, got a better fishing stick (its still a bit expensive to buy steel stuff for me... i could do it, but i have other priorities), got to about lvl60 in the mine.. currently woo-ing abagail and at 4 hearts. For the record, you need 2 hearts to be allowed in someones room whenever you want (although you still cant break into locked houses at night obv). Pay attention to the little random mini-quests in the center of town. they can give you a free +1 heart, which is pretty useful in the whole wooing thing.. although i've only had it random my love interest once so far.
There are some neat touches like a random cutscence happened around 2-3hearts one time

Oh. One thing that struck me as odd was that you can't actually use bait with the first fishing stick.. you need a upgraded one (which doesnt unlock till later)... even though they let you buy bait and mention it early on...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:46:32 am by Rift »

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:58 pm »

I'm going to join the "this game is great" chorus. It seems odd to me that no one thought to make a (good) PC Harvest Moon game before now, there was obviously a demand for it!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2016, 12:29:38 pm »

Same. It's a really, really good game from the 5 or 6 hours I've put in so far. One big problem I've been having is, how the hell do you find people? Something that the game seems to really really need is for villagers to appear on the map.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 27, 2016, 02:10:12 pm »

Yeah, it is strange to make us suffer throw back syle saving but give us a way better miming and more obvious energy system.

I am looking forward to the day when I can get a bunch of energy bars and go on a massive mining adventure.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 27, 2016, 02:17:38 pm »

Yeah, it is strange to make us suffer throw back syle saving but give us a way better miming and more obvious energy system.

I am looking forward to the day when I can get a bunch of energy bars and go on a massive mining adventure.

Stock up on food and backpack space for said food. Go mining. Profit.

It's likely designed as risk/reward.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »

Yeah, there's a limit to how big a mining adventure you can have in one day anyway, since you have to be home and in bed by 2 am or you pass out. And it takes a while to get home from the mine.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 27, 2016, 02:19:33 pm »

What I can say is that the game is really fun, but it does have that weird downtime feeling HM used to have, when you're slowing running around from one map edge to another and you start thinking all sorts of weird stuff, philosophical stuff, or even start questioning if the game's that good. But then you reach your destination and it's all good.
"I hear the chirping harmony of the myriad birds around me, the leaves rustle quietly in the wind, and I ask myself...
Do I exist? Am I only but an inconceivably small accident in the plan of the universe? One that cares not for the petty whims of myself and others? I remember I missed my brothers birthday because I was so invested in my books, and that chance will never come around again, I always think myself above others, with their egotistical snobbery, but am I really any better? Am I-
Oh, I'm here, YAY! BLACKSMITH GIVE ME THE THING I WANTY!"

Exactly. That's not even a joke.  ::) hahaha

You made reminded me of something. This is not really a spoiler..but in Spring there are berries growing in a lot of bushes around town. I didn't notice this until like the 20th day, and then I ran around collecting them and got 30+ berries. I think they provide 25 Health / 15 Energy, so I just went crazy on the mines for a few days.

Also, some NPCs seem to have bugged reactions to gifts. I gave Abigail a Quartz and she said "Thanks, I was really hungry! :D". Which confused and scared me a bit. What's worse is that it doesn't even seem she liked it, it may have given like half a heart (which doesn't show on the social screen) or something.

And I completely agree with the "Save and Quit" being a better way to go about it, and 25%-50% running speed increase.

Yeah, there's a limit to how big a mining adventure you can have in one day anyway, since you have to be home and in bed by 2 am or you pass out. And it takes a while to get home from the mine.

Try leaving the mine exactly at 2AM. bwhahaha. No don't do that, it almost caused me a CTD..

PS: I remember someone talking about fishing, so I can confirm that the place where the 'sphere thingy' of your fishing pole lands (the distance of the sphere thingy to dry land) is a factor on what kind of stuff you'll catch.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:29:50 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2016, 02:35:53 pm »

By the way, what do I have to do to unlock the quest for the minecart? All I see is out of order when i try to use it.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »

Do you get more coin for selling crops out of season?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #356 on: February 27, 2016, 02:49:37 pm »

I just started a thread on the Steam discussion forum asking for a save and quit feature. I don't know if the dev is going to read or consider suggestions there, but I don't know a better place to do it. Maybe if others would also like to see that change, you could add your vote there?

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 27, 2016, 02:56:24 pm »

The dev has been pretty active about responding to questions/bugs/whatever on his twitter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 27, 2016, 02:58:18 pm »

Maaaybe. In the interim, if you've got the spare computer resources (ram, mostly) and are willing to sleep or hibernate the computer instead of shutting down, you might be able to get away with just suspending the program* (so it stops eating CPU and passing time and whatnot) when you need to stop instead of closing it outright. Some games don't react well to that, but it probably couldn't hurt to try, at least as a holdover until they implement something more reasonable. Is how I deal with most games that either don't respond well to being out of focus or don't have a saving feature but do have lengthy playtimes.

*Standard windows task manager can't do that, but process explorer (and no doubt several other things) can quite easily.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 27, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »

Weird issue. I bought a crab pot, and placed it once then picked it back up on accident, and now I can't seem to place it again. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Apparently it was a bug that got fixed in an update. Steam should really tell you these things.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:22:00 pm by frostshotgg »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 91