Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441234 times)

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »

I had been hoping this had died
Freudian slip?  ;)

I've been following occasional updates on the website and whatever the developer is posting seems interesting, brief but informative. One of the thing I'm interested in is significance of Joja story arc; I do not believe any Harvest Moon had such major plot branch before.

Hope the dev also manages to find perfect mix of randomized-handcrafted content for the mines.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2015, 12:40:59 am »

I need this game like yesterday.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2015, 01:01:15 am »

I completely forgot the name of this game and happened to see Wild Season on Steam and got a little confused as a result. Good timing to bump the topic.

EDIT: Currently trying to reach the website results in a "Database error: Error establishing a database connection" which I assume is a temporary issue but as I have to go to bed and I will be gone all of tomorrow I can't check it out tonight =<
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:03:19 am by OzyTheSage »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2015, 01:16:18 am »

It seem to be the whole chucklefish publisher webserver/provider thats down, maybe they are working on the whole architecture? Security update? Meh who knows.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2015, 01:52:55 am »

I've been checking on the devblog every few weeks since it was first brought up here. The posts are few and far in-between, but it is pretty much alive. I prefer this slow rate of posting than some daily/almost daily posting that can only feed hype to unreasonable levels. The game was greenlit a long time ago IIRC, so not seeing anything about it on Steam now should not be an issue.

I can wait for this release for as long as it takes to come out... assuming it comes out within the first quarter of 2015 :P

Honestly, the dev knows that if he went with an early access release, he could have sold a lot of copies. The fact he that didn't and has no plan to do so raises my confidence in him. Letting people wait is much better than selling an half-assed game and then be stuck patching it long after you reached your sales peak... better for everyone.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:59 am »

Wow, I found my old reply on page 5 from 2012, of my first opinion when I saw this game. Back then I felt that it had fewer features and worse graphics than harvest moon.

I'm glad to see that Stardew has come a long way since then. It's looking only slightly more interesting than Harvest Moon now, but that's enough for me. It's been more than a decade since the release of FoMT, the last HM game I consider in any way innovative, and I'm more than ready to get back to farming.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2015, 03:46:47 am »

It seems like there's no proper games like Harvest Moon for PC except for Wild Season which they're asking a mind-boggling $30 for a bare-bones alpha and the promise that somewhere down the line it'll resemble a game.

... Heard that line before.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2015, 03:54:27 am »

I expected these last few necro-posts to be talking about how the game slowly died before it was even released, but am pleasantly surprised by the exact opposite!

It still surprises me just how long games take to make . . . even 'simple' ones like Stardew. Sure, throw more devs at it and it might go faster, but that's still an absurd count of man-hours.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2015, 06:07:33 am »

I expected these last few necro-posts to be talking about how the game slowly died before it was even released, but am pleasantly surprised by the exact opposite!

It still surprises me just how long games take to make . . . even 'simple' ones like Stardew. Sure, throw more devs at it and it might go faster, but that's still an absurd count of man-hours.

Stardew Valley is only being developed by one guy. I'm not sure if he's doing the art himself or he outsourced for that but it's an incredible task for one person.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:14 am »

It seems like there's no proper games like Harvest Moon for PC except for Wild Season which they're asking a mind-boggling $30 for a bare-bones alpha and the promise that somewhere down the line it'll resemble a game.

... Heard that line before.

Not just PC; my searches for a comparable game on PS3/4 and Android have proven fruitless as well. It seems the only platform with anything similar is DS, and every HM sequel/copy I've seen there seemed extremely light on new content and often lacking features that made the earlier games awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2015, 08:32:56 am »

Stardew has been getting fairly consistent blog posts once a month. It's far from cancelled.

For Harvest Moon like games there's also Rune Factory, which is also locked into the DS. For something a little different there's Shepherd's Crossing for DS and PSP. The control scheme of this genre pretty much only requires a console controller.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2015, 09:38:53 am »

Why do farming/life-simulator games avoid PC like the plague?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2015, 09:50:47 am »

UnrealWorld has a farming side if you want (as in you're not forced into only farming to survive, you have many more options) and future plans should add more to those farming/life elements too.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2015, 10:09:49 am »

PC's can do so much more than just keeping track of a few dozen plots of land. SimFarm keeps track of thousands. It's also never had a proper sequel or spinoff. Farmkng Simulator doesn't quite do it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »

Maybe the rarity of similar games makes developers doubt there is a waiting fan base.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 91