Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441421 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »

Hey so I've never played a Harvest Moon-like before. I do tend to like strategy/management games and I also quite liked Animal Crossing apart from when it punished me for not playing every day. Is this the kind of thing you think I might like or is it a very different type of game?

I think so. It's got the interpersonal relationships that formed the core of Animal Crossing, along with stuff you would be familiar with from that game like gathering artifacts for a museum, foraging, fishing etc as well as upgrading and decorating your house. It's not in real time like AC and doesn't punish you for not playing as well. Outside of those elements, there's the farming that is a significant part of the game, as well as mining, hunting monsters in said mines, crafting and other fun things like that. Of course, you can also play it your own way and focus on fishing instead of farming, which is totally doable, and there are skills that increase the efficiency of such endeavors.

Only downsides is running diagonallly is currently slow as hell, and you can only save when you go to sleep, which ends the day. But, if all that still appeals to you, definitely buy it. This is one of the first games I've bought in quite a while that hasn't been on sale, and it's definitely been worth it so far..

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2016, 06:52:36 pm »

I know it's a minor detail, but can you confirm for certain that diagonal movement is slower than horizontal/vertical movement? I've heard people saying it's slower and some saying it's the same.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:35 pm »

I know it's a minor detail, but can you confirm for certain that diagonal movement is slower than horizontal/vertical movement? I've heard people saying it's slower and some saying it's the same.

It is slower from what I've read. It definitely feels slower while playing, and the dev said he'd look into it.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 28, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »

It's a little slower, something like 71% speed instead of 81% or thereabouts. It's enough to be noticeable visually and it's really jarring.

On another note, dev's response regarding saving. tl;dr: It was partly to disincentivize savescumming, partly because a lot of the game's systems are built on a day system so it's easier to do it that way. Quicksave isn't out of the question but it would be a lot of work.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 28, 2016, 07:07:31 pm »

It's a little slower, something like 71% speed instead of 81% or thereabouts. It's enough to be noticeable visually and it's really jarring.

Interesting.  If you're moving the equivalent distance of one tile in a cardinal direction diagonally, you should be moving around 70.7% of a tile in either cardinal direction.  Are you sure that's actually a bug, if that's the case? 

That said, there's definitely a noticeable perception of a slowdown.  I had assumed it was just because distances were being circularized instead of being drawn with the usual "one diagonal tile equals one cardinal tile" approximation.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:09:35 pm by Culise »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:14 pm »

It's really awesome to come here and see everyone else also having a blast. I'm almost done with fall, almost 10 hearts with the girl, Stable half-way built.
I also died on the level 99 of the dungeon because I was trying to save my last piece of food for later, since I was 3 tiles away from the stair. That hurt my feelings. The spirits were disturbed alright.  :'(
How are you so much better than me? Q^Q I cri

I just started winter, and I only have 7 hearts, no stable (but 4 chickens and 4 mayo machines) and I've only gotten to, like, floor 40. Blegh.

Aside from my apparent ineptness, this game is quite good. I generally have a really short attention span, and switch from game to game, but this has kept me entertained for days straight.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 28, 2016, 10:50:59 pm »

Anyone play with a controller? If so, how's the controller support? Might make or break getting the game for me since playing with m&k for an extended period tends to hurt my wrists.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:06 pm »

The game isn't a competition until you make it one.

I'm not playing with a controller but you can control it similar to using a controller when the mouse cursor isn't near your character. I don't know how well it works in menus and inventory though...

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:59 am »

Anyone play with a controller? If so, how's the controller support? Might make or break getting the game for me since playing with m&k for an extended period tends to hurt my wrists.

I play with a steam controller, it feels comfortable 99% of the time to use. The few exceptions so far are placing furniture and like, a single fall festival minigame... I could likely of even manged then by making it more closely mimic a mouse (since steam controllers are awesome-sauce customizable. but its such a minor thing i didnt bother).
I guess the most noteworthy difference is using left-right triggers to change between tools instead of clicking with a mouse or hitting 1-9 on the keyboard.. so i guess its a bit slower, but its very comfortable to me.
Not 100% sure on actual compatability vs standard controllers.. (you can rebind all the keys in options, not that i needed to [Steam controller OP])
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:11:01 am by Rift »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:16 am »

I wonder why everyone finds fishing so frustrating? Most of the fish that you catch near the beginning (at least for me) have been really easy. But then the difficulty spikes on them. Catching my first... I think it was a catfish... was the most frustrating thing. Then there was the pike. Maybe the game just isn't intuitive to some people? It even shows a little tutorial. Is it because people don't know you can click and hold the mouse button?

Also, I got a diamond from a treasure chest while fishing, so there's another bonus for you. I tend to bring my rod everywhere and use it while I'm waiting for stores to open etc. I do feel that some of the fish sell for rather low considering how difficult some of them are to catch. Largemouth bass and Pike are both 100g, I think, and yet largemouth bass is much easier to catch.

Clicking and holding the mouse button just shoots the meter up way above the fish symbol and then you fail before it can drop back down. Gentle click spam is better, in my experience.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:03 am »

I've been playing with a controller and it's not too bad. It's far from perfect though.

A lot of menus will emulate the mouse with the gamepad instead of it being grid based like most other games. Most interactions with equipment is in the classical Harvest Moon direction based system with the awkward exception of placing seeds and furniture (again trying to emulate the mouse with the gamepad). Seed placement was so fiddly with a gamepad I found myself straying away from farming and using the mouse when I had to.

Also I managed to get the extremely annoying bug that deletes your skill perks. Anyone know if there's a fix for that or am I being too optimistic?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 29, 2016, 01:24:53 am »

How are you so much better than me? Q^Q I cri

I just started winter, and I only have 7 hearts, no stable (but 4 chickens and 4 mayo machines) and I've only gotten to, like, floor 40. Blegh.

Aside from my apparent ineptness, this game is quite good. I generally have a really short attention span, and switch from game to game, but this has kept me entertained for days straight.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's so much better discovering things by yourself. During Winter the game made me realize some stuff that made me facepalm.
I think I suffered so much as a kid when I played HM..I'd lose every festival/competition/opportunity because I couldn't understand anything. I guess I'm on a vendetta against the whole Harvest Moon genre.  :P

And..watching TV, watching for tips when NPCs finally give them, and finding the Lost Books really teach you things and make you facepalm once you realize you could've been doing things for seasons.
I was worried the game would force us all to go to wikis or forums, but it seems that if you want to go in blind and learn everything by yourself, it's possible. I really like that (especially because there's certain infos that you can't find yet)!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42:17 am »

Mustacheless Harvey is done, download here: https://mega.nz/#!6IYhDKIb!UVcXgYw4NwJUl44QuzodDqKLFBFTFeq2PJxJsYOg70U

http://imgur.com/a/TOuVw

Just copy and past the file inside your Stardew Valley portraits folder, which should be Stardew Valley\Content\Portraits and make sure to back up the old one!

EDIT: Movement speed has been increased and diagonal movement has been fixed!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 29, 2016, 01:44:49 am »

save scumming is already blatantly easy the way it is. If you screw up you can just quick exit and restart from the last morning. Having the sleep save on pc doesn't really do anything to combat that.

Also yeah, I don't see how pedostashe could ever have been considered a good idea.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #479 on: February 29, 2016, 02:13:56 am »

Mustacheless Harvey is done, download here: https://mega.nz/#!6IYhDKIb!UVcXgYw4NwJUl44QuzodDqKLFBFTFeq2PJxJsYOg70U

http://imgur.com/a/TOuVw

Just copy and past the file inside your Stardew Valley portraits folder, which should be Stardew Valley\Content\Portraits and make sure to back up the old one!

Doing this immediately. You are the best! Many stacks of your favorite cookies for you!

My favorite response to the dev's Reddit post about saving is this one:

I totally understand what you're saying and respect your creative vision for the game, but at the same time I think you are forgetting to respect us as players by allowing only a single positive exit point from the game. That means all other exits are negative and make it more likely we leave the game on a sour note, potentially to never return. And it'll put off others, like myself, from ever picking it up to begin with.

Your game looks amazing. Seeing it on gog/steam was the first I had heard of it and it instantly went on my wish list (I try to never impulse buy). But hearing about the restrictive saving really puts me off. I'm super busy with work, my wife, and my kid. A bulk of my gaming is on my phone because I straight up have little time to game sitting at a computer. But when I do, I need to be able to run and take care of life. For the game to punish me for having a life outside of it is not humane design. I understand wanting to prevent "save scumming", but in that quest you are harming innocent players. Honestly, if I had found out about this after purchase, I would probably put your game down after a bit and never play again. And that's sad, it looks amazing. I want to play it and love it. I feel like that's what you want from me the player too.

Please reconsider your stance on only allowing saves at specific save points.

I've just written a response to that agreeing and elaborating further. In fact, I just signed up for Reddit (finally) purely to post it. There aren't too many comments in that thread, so if anyone wants to go thumbs up those last two (the above-quoted one and mine) maybe it will help the dev see that this really is important to a lot of people.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 91