Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441349 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2016, 02:02:08 am »

I just bumped my "please add save and quit" thread on the Steam discussion forum. So far a handful of other people have written to agree, so it's obviously a common complaint, but the dev hasn't responded yet. If he doesn't respond soon, I'll see if I can find another way to ask him - someone mentioned Twitter, I think?

I'm sure he's somewhat overloaded with people contacting him right now, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope this idea gets through. Save points in a modern game are just... Why would anyone ever think that's a good idea?
Save points in and of themselves are not a bad thing - it's the implementation that matters. Take a standard JRPG that uses save points; they're scattered around, usually right before a boss battle and in towns and so forth, and they serve as an ideal checkpoint in case a TPK occurs. You can run and use one at any time, and sometimes they even serve as a restoration point.

In Stardew Valley on the other hand...none of these apply. It's actually a potentially serious issue.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2016, 02:04:23 am »

Just sent him a tweet. We'll see if he notices it among the masses of messages right now.

Does anyone know if you can move the farm buildings after they're built? The place I really want my chicken coop had some things in the way and I didn't want to have to go home, fix it, then come back, so I put it somewhere else... But now I'm thinking that will be a problem. I am regretting my choice. It's still not built yet... She's working on it now.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2016, 02:09:36 am »

From what I've seen on the official forums, it doesn't look good on that front.  It appears the best options are to demolish and rebuild, but that could get a bit expensive.  It could be that it's just a feature not yet found yet and some other user will come in to the rescue by pointing out how to do it, but...

That said, I don't completely hate the save feature.  I could tolerate it as long as closing the game also saved your progress.  Restricting it to only when you sleep is...well, actually, it's one of the reasons I'm still up even now that it's more than a few hours past any reasonable hour.  The other being that I just got caught up that much in the game.  I feel my earlier cynicism has been unfounded, and I am more than pleased to make that assessment. ^_^
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:13:21 am by Culise »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2016, 02:14:04 am »

That said, I don't completely hate the save feature.  I could tolerate it as long as closing the game also saved your progress.  Restricting it to only when you sleep is...well, actually, it's one of the reasons I'm still up even now that it's more than a few hours past any reasonable hour.  The other being that I just got caught up that much in the game.  I feel my earlier cynicism has been unfounded, and I am more than pleased to make that assessment. ^_^

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for: save and quit rather than "quit and lose everything hahahahaha!"

EDIT: Ugh, apparently I also need a silo before the coop otherwise I can't collect feed for the chickens. That really should be made clear somewhere. Blarg, I'm making a mess of my farm now...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:16:01 am by Sappho »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2016, 02:20:57 am »

Ah.  Then I'll definitely cheer you on. ^_^

Also, oof, that's probably not good.  I'll definitely build a silo first when I start raising fowl of my own, but then, I'm already making plenty of my own errors as I learn and go.  I didn't even figure out how to craft until mid-Spring; I thought it was an unlocked feature from a workshop rather than a menu.   As such, I sold loads of stuff I couldn't carry and, ultimately, ended up needing later.  Ah, well, I'm still getting the hang of it. 

Oh, also, if Twitter doesn't work out either, the official forums have a Suggestions subforum as well.  It's a Chucklefish game, so it's the same forum as for Starbound and their other games if you already have an account for that as well. 

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2016, 02:22:06 am »

You can get buy on purchasing feed for your chickens until you finish your silo, but you'll be running a pretty large deficit for a few days. Good news is the silo is super duper cheap.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2016, 02:22:39 am »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for: save and quit rather than "quit and lose everything hahahahaha!"

EDIT: Ugh, apparently I also need a silo before the coop otherwise I can't collect feed for the chickens. That really should be made clear somewhere. Blarg, I'm making a mess of my farm now...
Shouldn't you be able to leave the chickens outside so they can feed themselves? That's been a thing in just about every Harvest Moon and HM-like, IIRC.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2016, 02:25:17 am »

My understanding is that you can fence off an area with grass in it for animals to feed off of, and then open the coop door for them so they can get out, but I'm not super clear on all the details for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2016, 02:27:05 am »

Grass should be for large animals. In the games that SV took inspiration from, chickens only need to be outside during the day. They hunt bugs or worms or whatever on their own time, which is part of what makes them so cost-effective.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2016, 02:29:29 am »

Just sent him a tweet. We'll see if he notices it among the masses of messages right now.

Hopefully he notices it, he just responded to a tweet a few minutes ago so he'll likely see it even if he doesn't respond right away. I also posted in the steam discussion, hopefully he reads that thread and it changes his mind on the topic of saving.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2016, 02:41:09 am »

I got my chicken coop set up but I didn't realize that they ate grass (?). Putting down a grass starter leaves four small clumps of grass but it seems a single chicken will go through that before it has a chance to really expand. So far she seems to be 'doing fine' even without grass growing outside, but we'll see. I did notice that I put some feed in the trough and kept her inside on a rainy day and one of the stacks of hay was gone, buy you have to buy them from Marnie and it's something about 50g per feed.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2016, 03:03:21 am »

I got my chicken coop set up but I didn't realize that they ate grass (?). Putting down a grass starter leaves four small clumps of grass but it seems a single chicken will go through that before it has a chance to really expand. So far she seems to be 'doing fine' even without grass growing outside, but we'll see. I did notice that I put some feed in the trough and kept her inside on a rainy day and one of the stacks of hay was gone, buy you have to buy them from Marnie and it's something about 50g per feed.

If you have a silo, cutting grass will give you hay IIRC.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2016, 03:06:34 am »

But having a silo costs money and takes up space. Yes, there is a lot of space, but deciding where to put it where it won't be a nuisance is a thing too.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2016, 03:08:53 am »

But having a silo costs money and takes up space. Yes, there is a lot of space, but deciding where to put it where it won't be a nuisance is a thing too.

Here's a map of the farm to help you plan it: http://i.imgur.com/ofaaTKK.png

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 28, 2016, 03:11:35 am »

Played this for a bit.

My impressions went like this:

1. Hmm... this is like the latest Harvest Moon... except slower somehow.
2. I like how big the map is.
3. What's wrong with these movement controls? Why is it so hard to just water some crops?
4. Fuck this energy system. I miss the spam of leveling up from Rune Factory.
5. How do I save?
6. Holy shit this run speed is so crap.
7. Meet 28 people? OK.
8. Where the fuck is everyone?!
9. Sleep.
10. Repeat for 4 days.
11. Fucking crows. Fucking run speed. Fucking stamina. Fucking controls.

----

I think it's okay. Definitely has potential. I think I'll wait for some patches or mods or something. I know there are mods out that increase run speed so that's good. But it seems like it needs some patches as well, so I'll wait for those.

Also if anyone makes a mod to make the character portraits less derpy, I'd definitely get it. I normally don't bother with beauty mods or appearance mods or anything like that but I think this game seriously needs it. Maybe I'm just too used to the waifus of Rune Factory. #RainbowForLife
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 91