Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 440965 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1140 on: April 08, 2016, 07:01:39 am »

actually I think it's just because everyone basically has the same basic facial structure.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 08, 2016, 07:27:22 am »

Yeah but I mean that's kind of forgivable in SD.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1142 on: April 08, 2016, 07:49:03 am »

... I'm kinda lost, now. ?_?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 08, 2016, 01:08:22 pm »

I think what Cinder meant was that the pixel art for the portraits already makes virtually everyone look like generic white people. So it's understandable why the realistic portraits based on them carried that over.

Not sure though. In any case yeah, as much as it reminds me of some insular country towns in the US, it's weird that even the people with mixed ancestry look whitewashed. It's definitely not a limit of pixel art to stick with a single face shape, just a general Art Fluency thing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:16:25 pm by Solifuge »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 08, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »

The people in the town being 99% white is kind of art reflecting life for me. I grew up on a farm in a rural area of Canada, and I didn't know anybody who wasn't white on a first-name basis until I was in highschool, where there were three Asian girls, one Arabic boy and one black guy in my entire school. Rural areas in NA are about as white as it gets, at least in Canada.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1145 on: April 08, 2016, 10:08:46 pm »

It's definitely not a limit of pixel art to stick with a single face shape, just a general Art Fluency thing.
Err, I was talking about the 'realistic' portrait versions, not the originals... It's more obvious when there's more detail.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:23 pm »

*nod nod* Yeah, I get you! What I meant was that, since the pixel art character designs were pretty generically white, the realistic portraits based on the pixel art look that way too. It carried over from the original artwork, since the artist seemed to have been going for character design similarity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 03, 2016, 11:48:20 pm »

1.1 will be here eventually and Chucklefish is being handed the reigns for getting multiplayer working.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 04, 2016, 02:19:32 am »

1.1 will be here eventually and Chucklefish is being handed the reigns for getting multiplayer working.
With a new combat rebalance, more quest!, colonies! kids working for you! 5 pass of new arts, Then a couple years later we finaly!!!! get multiplayer coming! But only on the fishing game.

Jocan2003 cancel eat, Ducking behind cover.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 04, 2016, 06:53:00 am »

The Starbound thread is enough. Can we not start that shit here please?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 04, 2016, 07:28:48 am »

Apparently realistic means all of them looking like generic white people.

Isn't this the oscar thing all over again? (I.e. only 11% of oscars go to black actors, but... black americans make up only 12.2% of the population) - So if you got your 10 familys, 1 being black is somewhat right.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:24 am »

In Stardew Valley you don't get stoned to death for marrying someone of the same gender, so I kind of assume Ferngill is more civilized than the US.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 04, 2016, 08:06:57 am »

Civilized == evenly distributed races? That definition doesn't even come close to making sense. Are you saying none of Europe is even close to civilized?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 04, 2016, 08:26:28 am »

Just that they're less civilized compared to the Ferngill Republic.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 04, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »

I'm honestly not following, either, either what same-sex marriage has to do with the distribution or occurrence of ethnic groups, who is stoning whom in the US, or what have you.  The only thing I can even think of, as unlikely as it is, is an attempt to start a real-world political debate.  In that case, I apologize if it may seem slightly impolite, but may I please refer you and whatever fresh news story sparked this digression to the AmeriPol thread?  That may be the better place to discuss same-sex marriage politics and civilized versus uncivilized behaviour in the real world. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:01:16 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 91