Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McDwarf is booed off the stage  (Read 1305 times)

icemanzero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Urist McDwarf is booed off the stage
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »

Ok, so hear me out here.  We can build, buy and sell instruments, but we have no actual use for them.  So what if there was a feature to have dwarfs perform for the others? You could construct stages where dwarfs will gather while on break to watch performances.  A new social skill, Performance, would allow dwarfs to play instruments on stage, dwarfs could form bands with other dwarfs like how they form friends or lovers.  It could be another use for other social skills, as comedians will tell jokes, conversationalists will tell stories.  With economy implemented, stage shows could be paid events.  Dwarfs would have to rent out the stage, other dwarfs would pay to watch, could be over complicating it, but just a possibility.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McDwarf is booed off the stage
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:44:06 pm »

Planned. Sorry to be "that guy."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

icemanzero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »

Oh neat.  No problem pal, makes me happy to know it's planned to be added instead of being left as just a suggestion!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:26:13 pm »

It's okay. If you come up with specific, detailed, and/or broad ideas (pick at least two, ideally), this could be a good suggestion. I won't claim I've never suggested stuff suggested before, but these days I try to come up with a new spin on it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »

Maybe dwarves could have preferences for certain styles or music? And music writing could be a profession, along with singers. Maybe dwarven bands, or perhaps a wandering bard would come by and play music?
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 02:53:05 am »

What if some dwarves really hate a certain type music that most of the fort liked?

It will be Justin Bieber all over again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:11:42 am »

There could be a lot of cool stuff you could do with music...

You could have music teachers that give demonstrations/lessons. It could be a bit like military training. Instead of sparring you have "jamming". Instead of squads you have "bands" that learn to play together as a group.

Putting the effort into training musicians for your fort and having them play would be an excellent way to promote happiness. "Besmar was delighted by the ethereal playing of Urist McHendrix".

A musically-inclined dwarf could be taken by a mood and compose a brilliant piece of music. This piece of music could be learnt and played by people in your fort for years to come.

It would be cool to put musicians in your army and have war-drums and stuff like that. You could use it to intimidate your enemies... maybe human invaders could play trumpets that cause your walls to crumble in a Jericho-type scenario.

There could probably be some cross-training purposes for learning music. Increasing creativity (is there a use for this?) or co-ordination or something. You could have a music therapy program for your hospital. Maybe music could somehow cure melancholy or other insane dwarves.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:48 am »

This may not be all that far off. Toady's been talking about adding taverns/inns to both adventure and fortress modes for some time now, and with all the current site updates it's not too far-fetched to imagine them being included. I doubt they'll be in the next release (Toady's got more than enough to get his head around), but it certainly moves them a lot closer.

Musical performances would be a logical addition at the same time. Whether it'll be individuals or group performances remains to be seen.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing dancing dwarves eventually.