Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Most Far Continent: You May Survive  (Read 5774 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Far Continent: You May Survive
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:19:12 pm »

Goran leaned over the railing, watching as the water flowed by the side of the ship. He sighed as he thought about the life choices that had lead him to this point. How much lower can you truly get. How many people would be sent to their deaths in the name of the empire? Was it worth it? Probably. But not to him. Still, he had a debt to pay, and let none say that he did not pay his debts. And there was always the small chance that instead of death he would find glory in the Righteousness forsaken land of the far Continent.

Removing himself from that line of thought for a moment he turned around and looked around the deck at the people who would be in his team. A large man and three women. They look competent enough. Maybe a few looked a bit shady, but Goran doubted he looked any better at the moment.

By the way, how does magic work in this setting? And how much do I have access to? And, assuming magic has limits on amounts or costs associated, can minor rp magic be used? (eg: lighting a cigarette with a bit of flame from a finger)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:17 pm »

Wait, cigarette?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:37 pm »

Er. Well. Cigs have been around in one form or the other for like. Over a thousand years. I guess they might not be exactly the same. But I guess there is probably some oral addiction drug.

But the point was that was a example.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »

"Well, it's nice to meet you, but the circumstances could be better." Ulrich stares at what's left of the blob on the horizon that is the Continent. "What brings you here?"

"Much the same as any of us, I suppose. I didn't care of my debts, so they took care of me...

I mean, you know what they say about Indats, right? We brought this on ourselves."
She said, flippantly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:30 pm »

"Well, it's nice to meet you, but the circumstances could be better." Ulrich stares at what's left of the blob on the horizon that is the Continent. "What brings you here?"

"Much the same as any of us, I suppose. I didn't care of my debts, so they took care of me...

I mean, you know what they say about Indats, right? We brought this on ourselves."
She said, flippantly.
"...Most of us, I'm not sure what I did wrong. Care to hear?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:44 pm »

By the way, how does magic work in this setting? And how much do I have access to? And, assuming magic has limits on amounts or costs associated, can minor rp magic be used? (eg: lighting a cigarette with a bit of flame from a finger)
Some minor rp magic can be used, yes. Though like I said in a bit of the flavour text for autotorches, making things flammable is easier than making them catch fire. Personal magic is very weak, and most magic in this setting comes in the form of magical items. Magic can be stored in things a lot easier than it stores itself inside a person. Your own magical talents would lie a lot more in being able to construct magical devices (if you had the materials) than using your own magical forces to do things. You would have a slow but steady stream of personal magic, but you understand the mechanics of creating things far beyond your own personal ability.

I think that's the best way to put it.

You'll also have a much better ability to sense when there is magic present in an area, and I'll be pointing those moments out to you. This ship, for instance, has a plank on its bottom that is creating a constant push on the ship -- it's supplementing the sails enough so that there is less of chance of variance in when the ship arrives at its destination.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:31 pm »

"...Most of us, I'm not sure what I did wrong. Care to hear?"

"All right-tell me a story, and I'll tell you one in return." She said, leaning back up against the railing and looking at him, folding her arms.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

"I was a mason, laying foundations and walls for new buildings in a big river town. Redvale, have you heard of it? Great pottery. Anyways, Redvale was getting this new temple, and I was assigned to build it. Well, parts of it--I wasn't going to do it alone. Well, it wasn't long before I noticed changes being made at night.
"I started to document these changes, see what they meant. Some would hide rooms and seal off the ways in, I don't know why. Some lead into a network leading to one central thing in the basement. Other changes were worse, mechanical things I couldn't think of why they were needed in the temple. About halfway through the project, I had enough of the modifications charted to actually constitute proof of some sort of conspiracy, and I took it to City Hall. Great place, made of sun-dried clay and some marble pillars. Gold-plated floors to impress visiting nobles.
"Anyways, one charge of blasphemy later, here I am. What in the seventeen hells happened?"
Sig

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »

"I spent a month in Redvale on garrison duty. Nice pots, but lousy bars...and, sorry to hear about that. Guess you should have kept quiet, but hindsight is 20/20...and you were only doing the right thing, I guss.

As for me-I suppose you could call me a criminal. I used to be a soldier. I didn't exactly have much of a retirement plan once they released me from service. Nor much marketable skills-and the government...doesn't really care once you've hung up your sword. I was one of the Copperhead Infiltrators, back in the war-I learned to fast talk, slip shackles, pick locks that sort of thing-did some sabotage, some wetwork. When I got home, well, those skills were very useful to a certain subset of people. Better than becoming a Dancer or a Prostitute anyway.

I never killed anyone, but I stole and scammed-made enemies. It was never enough to fill the hole in the bucket. Eventually, they caught me-I was in prison, but as soon as my debts were high enough-they sent me here..."
She said, trailing off and looking back to the sea.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:18 pm »

"That's quite the tale. From the both of you." Goran shrugged and stood up off the railing. "I'm not sure how much I believe. But I guess I don't need to."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »

Ulrich glances uneasily at the mage, mutters something about how Kathryn's story is sad, and talks to the woman farthest from...you-know-who.
Sig

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

Kathryn turned to Goran as Ulrich made a hasty retreat. She turned back...

"Believe what you will. You heard my name, anyway-what's yours? Do you have a story to tell?"

She looked him up and down. He looked...familiar, almost. But she was sure they had never met.

Maybe in another life, then.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »

Goran look towards the woman who spoke to him. She looked... Tough. He made a mental note to try to stay on her good side.

"I'm Goran Calbrand. And I'm sorry to say that my story is not nearly as dramatic or interesting as your guys. I was just another working mage. Peddling my wares where I could. I wanted to get out of the rat race though. Wanted to make something more of myself. Made some mistakes going about it though. Borrowed too much money. Followed the wrong leads. And when it all started to fall though... Well. I panicked. Ended up owing even more to even worse people."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »

"Worse people...for all I know, I probably worked for them. Seems we all got a run of bad luck more or less...though, one could say our bad lucks just beginning."

She turned away from the sea for a moment, looking back at him. Blinking once. Her voice was quieter.

"I hate to give this discussion a morbid turn, but how long do you think we're even to last out here? I don't intend to go down without a fight, but...the odds are pretty bad for Indats. I think it's pretty clearly in the interest of our Government we don't finish our tours. At least half don't even finish the first mission, I heard.

...to say, The High Commander chose that skinny blonde to be our first Justicar. She's not spoken with anyone yet. She doesn't seem like a leader to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

I mean...dying is something I've thought about. I think I could accept it, for a good cause. It's dying unfulfilled that scares me, you know?"
She said, raising an eyebrow. "Have you thought about it?"

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 06:07:37 am »

(Sorry, i had to go to sleep, then i woke up pretty much just now, about 6:58. And i've got school, but i will try to do as much as i can.)
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7