Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Most Far Continent: You May Survive  (Read 5767 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Most Far Continent: You May Survive
« on: September 27, 2012, 06:20:57 pm »

It's not that they were lazy. Fort Derican has stood as a fortress in the sea, and bulwark against the dangerous creatures of the Most Far Continent. There simply wasn't enough manpower to do anything more than sit on that small island off the coast. But now the Righteous Empire has annexed all the lands of the Most Far Continent, and it's time to start exploring and making claims on it. And like every single annexation by the Righteous Empire, they are going to use an army of citizen-soldiers to do their exploration.

Citizen Soldiers are also known as Indentured Adventurers. Indats for short. These are the people who couldn't pay their taxes, and now will work off their debt. EVERY MONTH they have a quota given to them by the High Commander. This quota can be paid in gold or goods taken from the mainland and the surrounding area. Indats are taken by ship to whichever landing that they choose. To make sure they don't try to make permanent homes somewhere out where no one can find them, the magi of the Righteous Empire have devised a clever spell: A slow-acting poison magic tied into the Indat's spinal cord.

All you have to do to avoid its activation is pay your quota either on time or in advance. Simple, hmm?

The most important thing is that Indats are organized into bands of five. No more, no less. Bands have names, and bands have a Justicer appointed by the whim of the High Commander. The Justicer is supposed to have final say in when the band comes home, and is responsible for all the tough decisions that will have to be made.  If someone in the band can't make quota on their watch, the Justicer is put into prison for two weeks -- but without their own quota being suspended. In practical terms, it's often referred to as a death sentence.

Okay, if you haven't realized it yet, this is a survival-focused game. You start out with very little, and you progress by taking magic items, and learning how to use them effectively. You start by picking your build: Strength or Dexterity. You then pick a knack, which helps towards what you're going to be focusing on as a character. Those things are the most important to the mechanics of what you'll be using.

Everything is going to be determined with the d20*, and I'll display the score you get on every action. Because I'm determined to not play favourites, the Justicer will be picked by random roll. The Justicer will be switched up every time you go out for another mission. If you are a dick as the Justicer, remember that someone else will likely be in a position to be a dick to you.

Spoiler: BUILDS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: KNACKS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RACES (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RELIGIONS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: THE SHEET (click to show/hide)

OTHER STUFF:

Spoiler: THE KIT (click to show/hide)

Every Indat will be given a steel sword, but only one. It will never be replaced, and you will have to buy any weapon you want that isn't a utility knife.

DESTINATIONS:

Jungle Landing - A week's shipping from Fort Derican, Jungle Landing will put you in the middle of a forest that is entirely too easy to get lost in. Small rivers, deep ravines, and rampant ruins dot this little playground from hell. Watch out for the kobold tribes who believe that hiding treasure pleases their strange gods. They don't like the fact that you're coming to take their offerings.

Green River "Landing" - Five days from Fort Derican, this winding wide river has many points to get off at. The forest that surrounds it is said to be haunted by all manner of things. And of course, things that produce magic enough for hauntings are also going to be quite valuable.

White Cliffs Landing - Four days from Fort Derican. This rather large island features 4,000ft cliffs of white stone all around it. Kobold tribes have inhabited it for a long time, and you can find carved stairs, tunnels, and all kinds of strange rock formations. Intense interrogation of kobolds from the island has revealed the presence of a ruined city at the top. So far, no one from the Righteous Empire has seen it. Or, more accurately, no one has seen it and then returned to tell about it.

Whirlpool - Six days from For Derican. This extremely slow moving whirlpool will teleport any ship that spends five minutes circling with it. Four times out of five it will take the ship to a far northern coast where there are lots of little ruins around to exploit, and sailing out of sight of land will take you right back to the skirt of that whirlpool. That rule holds true wherever it takes you. Wherever it takes you...

RECRUITING BANDS:

Wide Eye Tigers
1: Goran
2: Ulrich Ironarms
3: Zoey Overbeck
4: Kaira Nelivan (CURRENT JUSTICER)
5: Kathryn Duvalier

Four Tooth Panther
1: (Doomblade character)
2: Atheros Alrazel
3:
4:
5:

GRAVEYARD:

empty
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:17:43 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Far Continent: You May Survive
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:30:34 pm »

Name: Goran
Build: DEXTERITY
Knack: MAGERY
Religion: RADIANCE
Appearance: Tall, Thin. Wears a robe. Black hair and brown eyes.

I vote White Cliffs Landing.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:06 pm »

Name: Ulrich Ironarms
Build: Strength
Knack: Building
Race: Human
Religion: Radiance
Appearance: Big, muscular, yet kind

Backstory:
Ulrich was an average mason, setting up new buildings in a large town. He was assigned a prestigious position: Helping build a temple! He noticed a room he was building, with changes being made between workdays. He started a diagram of the changes, made notes of other areas, and soon discovered a few unethical and probably illegal functions the temple would be put towards. When he came to the town hall with his discoveries, thinking some other group was subverting the temple's construction, he was promptly accused of blasphemy and sent to be an indat.

Vote: Green River!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:19:27 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »

Name: Zoey Overbeck
Build: Dexterity
Knack: Ropework
Religion: Paganism [None]
Appearance: Slim 5'4 woman with brown hair always in a pony-tail.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:08:15 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »

Reserved.

EDIT: Dwarmin can have my spot.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:32:08 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

Name: Kaira Nelivan
Build: Dexterity
Knack: Fighting
Religion:Paganism,(Warrior religion of nordic-region equivalent)
Appearance: A Blond woman of one of another frontier, Raised with the idea that those who die in honorable battle Truly go to a better place in the end.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30:58 pm »

Name: Kathryn Duvalier
Build: Strength
Knack: Skullduggery
Religion: St. Thumber
Appearance: A tall and limber brown haired woman with green eyes, and an in-serious expression on a pretty face. Very fit and muscular, bearing tattoo marks that indicate some sort of military background.

Voting for Whirlpool
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:33:02 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:17 pm »

I vote that Dwarmin joins rather than Doomblade. He has, after all, filled out the character sheet. Just throwing out my opinion.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »

I vote that Dwarmin joins rather than Doomblade. He has, after all, filled out the character sheet. Just throwing out my opinion.

That was my though and his thought too apparently. I've got a second group up taking characters, so I'm going to start the Tigers.

Kaira "won" the Justicer roll [4], so it's OREOSOME's choice in destination. Or his choice if he wants to follow the votes, but those have been inconclusive so far.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 08:42:25 pm »

((OOC: Aaaand, Oreo logged out 20 mins ago. So I guess no quick start, unless he comes back. :P

Bah. Do you mind if we start pre-RP, Willfor? I assume we begin on a ship.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »

((Sure, we can start off the RP))

You're on a ship that's somewhat small, not entirely comfortable, but cutting through water on a sunny-ish day. This will be the first time most of you have met. Your first quota is roughly 100 gold each, which isn't too heavy if you can find the right stuff.

Also it's June 1st in this world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »

Ulrich will avoid Goran. Mages are bad news until proven otherwise. He'll chat with the women politely, trying to get on Kaira's good side. Wait, there's three women and a mage with him...yeah, Ulrich's spending time with the women. If they don't want to talk, or once it's bedtime, Ulrich will check his kit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:07 pm »

The kits themselves are still being guarded in the ship's hold. This particular captain wants to make sure they get to where they are going intact. This is good news for you in a way, but bad news if you were heavily intent on checking in on them.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:40 pm »

Kathryn leans against the ships railing, watching the ship slice through the water. She's not the most poetic sort of person-but the sea is very beautiful to her. It's the first time she has seen it-some people get sea sick, others...find a sort of tranquility. She had no words to describe what she feels.

Her life.

Kathryn had always been fighting for something-or to be more specific, looking for a cause worth fighting for. She gave everything in the Service of the Righteous Empire, being a soldier like her father before her...but never saw the sea, not in her entire life-it was the oddest thing, considering how far she traveled.

Time passes. War never really ends, not for the people who fought in it. Adjustment to life back home was difficult, at first. Then it became impossible. Her coping mechanisms, a degree of old skill put to better use. But you never really win.

So, she's here, on the deck of a ship-a hungry Dragon sleeping in her spine, even now...she can feel the tingle. They say it's all in her head. But she feels it flexing it's claws, ever hungry, ever needful of the quota-that which must be sated, lest it consume her. Every moment is one second closer to death-every moment has gained meaning and clarity. St. Thumber saith we only truly begin to live once we realize we will die.

Right now, she is alive and breathing deeply of the sea salt air.

She hears a man talking nearby. Tall, well muscled-with a kind, humble face. The hands and body of a simple bricklayer. Kathryn introduces herself, extending her own hand-calloused and knotted with years of great labors.

"Kathryn Duvalier. I'd say nice to meet you, but under these circumstances, it's quite the opposite, isn't it?" She says, smiling wryly.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:05:35 pm by Dwarmin »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:53 pm »

The kits themselves are still being guarded in the ship's hold. This particular captain wants to make sure they get to where they are going intact. This is good news for you in a way, but bad news if you were heavily intent on checking in on them.
Nah, I mostly wanted to make sure my blanket was intact. It's the closest I have to a towel.

-----

"Well, it's nice to meet you, but the circumstances could be better." Ulrich stares at what's left of the blob on the horizon that is the Continent. "What brings you here?"
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7