Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a graphics cardBut, I don't know where to start. AT ALL  (Read 2159 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile

Since my collection of PC games is growing substantially, I've been considering getting a new Graphics Card. The problem is, my knowledge of computers is barely above I accidentally deleted the internet".
I tried looking at Graphics Cards but all I see is a FUCKLOAD of Numbers and XS and Z'. And it doesn't help that I often hear about graphics crads requiring extremely advanced cooling thingamajig, or they'll catch fire. On top of that I don't know how to install drivers, and if I fuck that up my whole computer will end up taking a dirt nap.
     I was considering buying Alienware, but I've conflicting stories on quality. I KNOW its overpriced, but I've heard horror stories about them being DOA and tales of them lasting quite a while.
I've considered building computer from the ground up. They said it was like Legos, but I've seen the YouTube videos, those ain't Legos.
I was just wondering if the computer guru's of Bay12 good suggest a modest graphics card. I don't want to run Skyrim on max(I don't even have the desire to play it.) I just want something that can run modern games at a playable pace. If you feel like that's too much spoon feeding at least set me on the right path.

Yes, I've seen the "falcon" guide, but I don't even know HOW to research a good computer component.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a graphics cardBut, I don't know where to start. AT ALL
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »

This is a pretty good start: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
Then look at each card you're considering, and try to find benchmarks for the games you play at or near the resolution of your monitor.  Then go to those games forums and look for complaints/incompatibilities  with the specific cards you're looking for (a LOT less of a problem nowadays) .

Alienware is completely ovepriced hype bullshit, don't piss your money away into their greedy lying pockets.  Putting together yourself is really pretty simple, keep looking at youtube how-to-do's.  As long as you have another pc to google/download stuff/ask for help you'll be fine.   If you're doing a whole system yourself join Hardforum.com and go to General Hardware, read the ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST and post with your requirements and budget, they give pretty good advice on components and combinations.  Get a starter idea from the "system builder marathon" type articles on tomshardware/anandtech/etc.  Like here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-benchmark,3276.html is the $1000 system from toms between the $500/$1000/$2000 examples.  Except don't listen to their power supply recommendations, do NOT cheap out on the power supply, listen to the guys on hardforum and pick a seasonic or certain antec/corsair models, for only a few bucks more than an absolute crap power supply you can get a really decent one that is much less likely to be flaky and fry your expensive goodies.

Stuff is coming out so fast it's hell to try to keep up, I build a pc every 4 years or so and I have to completely re-orient every time, this is how I start out doing it.  Oh silentpcreview is usually pretty good too, noisy pc's near me piss me off...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:15:14 pm by gimlet »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »

Thanks.
I'm definitely just upgrading. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare computer, but I do have a friend who's willing to help. I will be getting a new Power Supply(I'm thinking abou getting run that has about 500 watts. I'm not sure if its overkill just yet) also, since a friend warned me about power issues when upgrading.
I've already found a pretty darn good card. I'm still looking into it though. But from what I'm hearing, I might have a winner already.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908 and other Radeon HD 6850's. Are sounding pretty good.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

I would save a extra 50 bucks and go for the current model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617
My 7770 beats out the 6850 on power saving and 10+ fps and costs the same

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:06 pm »

If you do go for the 7850 might as well spend another $10 and get the 2GB model instead of the 1GB, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121623 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406.

Or a step up in power (both speed and consumption) GTX 480 sameish price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759 or GTX 570 only $20 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127682 - looks like the older, more power hungry cards are getting some good sale prices.

Damn there are some pretty nice deals...

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »

What is your budget for this upgrades?

Also what is the specs of your pc?  Dont want to put a top end gfx card in if the pc cannot keep it fed with data.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »

Thanks for the help, my internets been out for about a week.
What is your budget for this upgrades?

Also what is the specs of your pc?  Dont want to put a top end gfx card in if the pc cannot keep it fed with data.
I'm not looking for anything above 200 American Smackers.
Processor:AMD ATHELON II X2 215 Processor 2.7 GHZ
RAM:4.00 GB
That's strange I can't seem to see how much wattage my PSU has.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:47:20 pm »

Do you know the make and model of the computer? That'll help determine what kind of PCI slots you have on the motherboard.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »

Its a HP Pavilion AY589AA-ABA a4317c. I did a quick Google, but I can't make heads or tales of any of the results.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

*looks at hp site

Has one PCIe1.0 x16 slot

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »

Keeping in mind most games are currently optimized for 2.0 speeds. It's going to be slow at higher texture settings regardless, and games that are poorly optimized ("future-proofing" over putting a little work into precaching and prediction) might be nigh-unplayable. PCIe 2.0 has been out for five years - you might get much better performance if you get a newer but still not quite top-of-the-line motherboard with the same socket type for your processor, and a mid range card if you don't already have one. Just make sure your motherboard can fit the case you have, hehe.

As far as building a computer goes, it's like legos in that if you can put a cable into a slot you're almost certainly doing it right, and if more than one thing fits it's usually labelled on the motherboard what the cable should be. The only fiddly bits are usually the two-prong connectors that go to crap like the power button and LEDs. Sometimes they color-code them, sometimes they label them, and different cases may not follow the same schema. Just check the manual for both, in that case.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:58:18 pm »

250W power supply. Woof. You're probably going to have to upgrade that, too.

It may be cheaper and more effective to go with a new prebuilt, like this.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend a slimline, because they're bitch to upgrade, and sometimes have heating issues but this one:

A) is dirt cheap, and
B) comes with not horrible graphics and pretty okay processor, and a today's standard amount and type of RAM.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:05:05 am »

Okay, so after I looked through some stuff,and  I basically was told that everything should be fine as long as I use any PCI Express slots. The only thing I would nee to worry about is the size of the card. I this correct?

Ninja edit-I wasn't planning on doing something as drastic putting in a new mother board. My biggest issue is that no-one in my family/people that are close enough to me to let them near 500+ worth dollars worth of tech know computers very well. I'm afraid I'll just end up with a pile of inert junk.

When you say higher texture settings to you mean, any fancy "graphix" game regardless of setting will have problems, or will I just be stuck playing shit on low.
Because I have NO PROBLEM playing things on lowest settings. I just want to play.

Ninja-Ninja Edit-I was planning on upgrading the power supply anyway. It was one of the first caveats a friend warned me about.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:08:43 am by UltraValican »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:47:23 am »

Yes, that's right. PCIe is fully backwards and forwards compatible, so far - you can stick a PCIe 3.0 card in a 1.0 slot, and vice versa. And yeah, it's easy to get a card that's too bulky, particularly with that price range. What I would do is take the card dimensions and make a rough cardboard mockup before buying. For $200 it's worth feeling a little silly, no? Try to get it in there without it bending or coming close to any non-flexible components. Take note of any capacitors conveniently placed in the way of your card - on your current board it looks like you might have at least two that might cause problems with enclosed fans, and the southbridge heatsink (the white ribbed thing in this picture) also appears uncomfortably close. Otherwise you should be ok - you have a microATX board in a mid-size ATX case.

Graphics settings - it depends greatly on the game. As I said, some games are optimized for this more than others, some games don't even slow down as they're loading textures in favor of noticeable 'pop-in' (which is what I prefer, or even wireframe, so we're in the same boat), and some don't have textures (and shadow maps, etc., basically anything that needs to be thrown to the card for calculations) lower than what PCIe 2 can stream comfortably. The shittiest console ports don't even have graphics settings you can change much at all.

If you're experiencing repetitive 'jerky' lag, particularly while moving, there's probably a bottleneck here, with your card's memory speed and size, or you're running it off of an external hard drive or something. That or your CPU and RAM is inadequate for whatever else they're doing as you move, but this is surprisingly often less of a problem in more mainstream games.

For your motherboard, the only reason it's likely to be damaged is static and/or short circuiting. Make sure to insulate it from the case using those plastic/rubber dealies, touch the side of the case often as you're working with it (or if you're really paranoid/live in a dry area, a grounding strap couldn't hurt), and don't work with it on carpet. Take it outside if you have to, the light might even be better. Above all, use patience more than your screwdriver - move everything slowly so as not to jar any caps or the underside of the board. Don't try to force anything that seems stubborn without looking for why it might be giving you issues. Loose screws can be killers - try not to get too frustrated when you inevitably drop one and it somehow gets underneath the board you just half-installed. This -will- take you longer than you expect, and if you go into it knowing that, you should be fine.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:19 pm »

Not all PCIE cards/slots are compatible. The cheap ones may not support cards that pull more than 75w.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: [1] 2