Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ........Vampires.... So MAANY!  (Read 2135 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
........Vampires.... So MAANY!
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:16:47 pm »

Hello all you may have seen or talked to me before ( if so i apologise ;) )

Anyways the title rather explains it, i've had a rash of vampire attacks in my fort. Around 12 now, mostly confined to the children who're clogging my infrastructure atm. However recently the vamps are getting braver, it seems i catch 1 every year just before migrants arrive and it's getting frustrating as i'm starting to run out of places to lock them in, now the vampires have begun targetting members of the militia, i've lost 2 marksdwarves a swordsdwarf to blood draining. I also had to drop an axedwarf and hammerdwarf who turned out to be vamps, can someone help me figure out a way to screen the little blighters so that i don't lose one of my precious few smiths.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:30:38 pm by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: ........Vampires.... So MAANY!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:26:08 pm »

CONSPERACY!!
ANARKY!!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112189.0

Probably the easiest way is to capture a necromancer, introduce him/her to your bone remains stockpile and then pay attention to which dwarves don't get attacked by the undead.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:53 pm »

Vampires. The necromancer is in another fort that i abandoned due to negligible supplies of iron and coal.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

As I recall, you can fill a room with water, have a ramp going down into it, set up a burrow for that flooded room, assign all your dwarves to it, and see who actually goes in.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:42:58 pm »

Wrong--not even modded-in races that can't breathe air will path into water.
Filling a room of suspects with water works. If they survive, they're vampires.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »

Yes, but we come to the place where the classic witch hunting method and courtroom ethics cross: is it ethical profitable to drown ten innocents to find one vamp?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:20 pm »

Yes, but we come to the place where the classic witch hunting method and courtroom ethics cross: is it ethical profitable to drown ten innocents to find one vamp?
Pfft, I drown peasants for the crime of not being useful. I'd round up the worthless guys as soon as vampire-related deaths started happening. Win=win, you know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:00 pm »

Vampire armies are op get three vamps in full candy axe spear and mace you got a sexy impossible to beat team

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »

Better, if you lock them into the only way into your fortress and keep them away from any other sleeping citizens, you can keep them for no cost.
I'd put a dormitory nearby where only worthless  migrants sleep.
Sig

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 04:29:24 am »

Build a lookout tower or two, lock the vamps in and figure out a way to bring ammo and the eventual useless child meal-to-be inside without having the vamps get out.

Then make them a militia of markdwarves, or any kind of militia who shall be let out only during sieges.

Good enough?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 04:33:28 am »

Rename your fort into Bon Temps.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:33:51 am »

Vampire armies are op get three vamps in full candy axe spear and mace you got a sexy impossible to beat team
D:<

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 12:06:28 pm »

I recommend turning all of your important dwarves into vampires. Vampires don't drink other vampires.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 12:12:20 pm »

Problem with vampire fort: dwarf vampires still require booze, but don't drink, resulting in massively slow vampires.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2