Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why won't you idiots stockpile?  (Read 1510 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Why won't you idiots stockpile?
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:48:28 pm »

I just ragequit a new fort because the morons wouldn't stockpile food, and all the fish caught rotted.  There was nothing forbidden, inaccessible, all the other stockpiles worked, I didn't have anything weird turned on/off, no mods.

I tried remaking stockpiles elsewhere, I tried turning hauling on/off.  The only thing they would move was a lone barrel of meat.  Anything I missed?  I don't want this contaminating all my forts.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't you idiots stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »

lack of pots/barrels?
large distance between pots/barrels to where your fisherman were fishing?
Did you have a fishery?

The first one would make sense, but it seems a little obvious.
Second one is possible? i usually find my fisherman will run a good distance to get a pot though.
Third seems pretty obvious also, although again you may have forgotten it.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »

Were they stockpiling other things? If so, then the best thing to do is to make the stockpile (I am assuming that you initially use a single pile for food and other wagon stuff) accept food _only_, then set it to accept other stuff you want once the food is in the pile.

Was the food listed on the z-screen? If not, there is something wrong with it.
Was the food stockpile set to have one barrel max? IDK if it caused the problem, but it might have something to do with it (though unlikely)
Was the food actually permitted in the pile? IIRC a few weeks ago there was someone on IRC with a similar problem, and this was the solution.

How stealthy are Bigheaded ninjas?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:02 pm »

Were they stockpiling other things? If so, then the best thing to do is to make the stockpile (I am assuming that you initially use a single pile for food and other wagon stuff) accept food _only_, then set it to accept other stuff you want once the food is in the pile.

Was the food listed on the z-screen? If not, there is something wrong with it.
Was the food stockpile set to have one barrel max? IDK if it caused the problem, but it might have something to do with it (though unlikely)
Was the food actually permitted in the pile? IIRC a few weeks ago there was someone on IRC with a similar problem, and this was the solution.

How stealthy are Bigheaded ninjas?

not very, 3 mins between our posts :P , it's a ninja if less than 1 minute :D

also your ideas are totally different to mine as to why somethings wrong, so not really a ninja.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:51:36 pm »

I didn't have anything weird turned on/off

you sure?  (o)rders -> (f)ood?
i guess you can't check if you rage abandoned :)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:13:17 pm »

I do wonder if there is some sort of subtle stockpile bug out there.  One of my quantum stockpiles simply stopped working.  I have stones qualified for the piles that feed the mine cart lying around within 50 tiles, the areas are assigned to burrows the haulers can access, and if I make a new stockpile right next to the quantum pile's "gather" piles the haulers will take stone to them - but not to the stockpile a few tiles aways. 

Just odd.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:46:29 pm »

I think the bug is related to items that are part of stuck hauling jobs.  If an item cannot be hauled no other items of that type will be processed.  Perhaps an extension of the bug with partial stacks of cloth?  There's definitely a bug in there though.  Perhaps items that collapse and thus change position, perhaps to an inaccessible one?  Perhaps items that get teleported by the deconstruct bug while the job to pick them up is active?

I've experienced it with cloth and marble (other rock types seemed fine).  Solution seems to have been to mark things I suspect of being the culprit for dumping and hoping I got it right.  Once the item is dumped (or maybe even if the dump job is queued up and you undump it...) then the whole system gets unstuck for that item type.

I'm mostly using voodoo here.  I can't quite nail down the root cause.  I should probably spend some time with an old save isolating the issue and upload that with a bug report.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »

Fish being ignored to rot on the shore is not new, this bug has been around a long, long time. It seems like hauling fish specifically is like the lowest priority hauling job ever.
The only way I've found to get things moving (and this doesn't even always work)
1-Designate fishing Zones.
2-Have a food stockpile that only accepts unprocessed fish, with outdoor access so haulers have a short route to the fishing zones. Make sure you have some dwarves who only haul food, or they'll ignore the fish for pretty much everything else. Make sure absolutely no other stockpiles accept unprocessed fish.
3-Put the fishery right in there, and be sure to have a dwarf that only has the fish cleaning labor and nothing else active. Best to even set up his own burrow in there to keep him on task.
4-A separate stockpile for (only) processed fish next to your kitchen is needed to complete the supply chain.
5-Don't rely on fishing as your main food source at all, just about anything is less work and more productive.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:57 am »

None of the points brought up were in effect.    It wasn't too far away, I had containers, several dwarves were farting around doing jack-all so they weren't busy with other stuff.  The only thing that might have been a weird issue was it was very close to the edge of the map, though that doesn't account for them only stockpiling the one barrel.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.