Chobofrin: Goddess of nightmares, dreams, and the night
- 5 (18.5%)
Thlabifis: Goddess of loyalty, laws, and justice
- 1 (3.7%)
Chucheedrin Plaguepoison: Goddess of silence and torture
- 7 (25.9%)
Foseesus: Goddess of mercy and forgiveness
- 2 (7.4%)
The Nameless Goddess of metals, minerals, jewelry, inspiration, and poetry.
- 4 (14.8%)
Chlombujrer Rapiddelights: Goddess of dance, festivals, music, song, valor, and war.
- 5 (18.5%)
Slachraris Primmusic: Goddess of beauty
- 0 (0%)
Buseelus Boarbearded: Goddess of plants and animals
- 2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Non-Running Kobold Community Camp and Questions About A New One  (Read 24156 times)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
Re: Sruchlofisjlufruyus: A Kobold Camp With Refined Tastes
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:36 pm »

We press on! We can figure this out later!

Right now, we need shelter, storage, and workshops!

Rooftop gardens can come later! Or we can build them using the ground!

Example: mine out underneath where ever a nice outcropping is. Build walls underneath it, channel out around it! Tadah! Veggie gardens ontop of the house!
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »

So...the house would be underground? Give Taz a house like that.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

Houses would "Be under ground" But the ground around them would be cleared out, so it'd be a free standing house covered in a roof of natural soil.

Take a hill. Dig out a series of hovels. Reinforce the hovels with wooden walls. Channel out above them all the space between the hovels. Tadah, farm soil on top.

Figure something like

OOOOO
O  O  O
    O
O  O  O
OOOOO
O  O  O
    O
O  O  O
OOOOO
O  O  O
    O
O  O  O
OOOOO

underground would provide plenty of room and farmland above it.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »

Curse you enter key!

Do we have cliffs? It's entirely possible our embark is flat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:12:10 pm by Vgray »

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

We have a screen cap of the embark site, and it has clay uprisings. Even a single z level up is enough for this plan to work.

And, if we need to make more, we can always dig down a level.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2012, 06:17:11 am »

in KC, problem of not having clay to build a Kiln to collect clay is easily worked around: You can burn vermin remains in wooden "critter kitchen" to produce a bar of fire-safe ash.
In the latest KC version i used, bolds were unable to bake clay and I had to build from glass.

Considering self-imposed challenges, I propose the following limitations:
1. Don't build walls of raw unbaked clay - that's  silly, they are not going to stand firm. Floors are okay as long as they have ground beneath.
2. Dig no tunnels in soil. They'd collapse! Only pig pits. Tunnels are permitted in diggable rock, if it is ever found.
3. Leave no unsloped soil wall - it would collapse. To dig a deep pit, make it wide.
4. Building have to have a foundation, either bedrock or constructed brick or glass or stone or metal or wood walls 1z-level below ground (at least). Higher buildings should have deeper foundations, 1level down for 3levels up for example.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2012, 11:02:49 am »

Kel has it right there.  For now, I'm just working on getting together a single housing unit where all of the kobolds can cuddle up together.  Eventually (once we have clay especially) it will be much easier to have kobolds live in individual houses, something that I think works best for married kobolds.  After all, the little beasties need plenty of time to socialize in order to find their mates.

We do indeed have cliffs and I could see it being interesting to set up that kind of a structure.  Especially in terms of a temple to the Buseelus Boarbearded (Goddess of Plants and Animals).  Of course, that is somewhat down the road.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring any cats or other hunting animals, so I don't think that I actually have any vermin remains.  I do kind of think it doesn't make a lot of sense to use unbaked clay, though it would certainly make life quite a bit harder.  The truth of the matter is that the eternal war against dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins should keep things difficult enough.  Hell, there are alligators which I believe means we could get giant alligators.  Speaking of which, if we kill a giant alligator, there will be celebrations that last for weeks.

Also, writing up the first post right now with pictures already taken.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:04:26 am by CaptainKobold »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

Kel has it right there.  For now, I'm just working on getting together a single housing unit where all of the kobolds can cuddle up together.  Eventually (once we have clay especially) it will be much easier to have kobolds live in individual houses, something that I think works best for married kobolds.  After all, the little beasties need plenty of time to socialize in order to find their mates.

We do indeed have cliffs and I could see it being interesting to set up that kind of a structure.  Especially in terms of a temple to the Buseelus Boarbearded (Goddess of Plants and Animals).  Of course, that is somewhat down the road.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring any cats or other hunting animals, so I don't think that I actually have any vermin remains.  I do kind of think it doesn't make a lot of sense to use unbaked clay, though it would certainly make life quite a bit harder.  The truth of the matter is that the eternal war against dwarves, elves, humans, and goblins should keep things difficult enough.  Hell, there are alligators which I believe means we could get giant alligators.  Speaking of which, if we kill a giant alligator, there will be celebrations that last for weeks.

Alligators were present before Toady did a huge animal update with procedurally generated giant and person versions, so they have no giant form.
Vermin remains should still be present - they appear when a kobold accidentally step over a vermin creature

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:20 am »

Giant alligators would be badass, but we'd need something made of metal to kill those.... I had a bad expierience with trying to bludgeon alligators to death.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2012, 11:36:12 am »

For now, the spirit of Winterdirge lurks around the camp, waiting for a suitable vessel to return to the physical plane, after his dwarven body was....destroyed in very, very unfavourable circumstances.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:00 am »

Alligators were present before Toady did a huge animal update with procedurally generated giant and person versions, so they have no giant form.
Vermin remains should still be present - they appear when a kobold accidentally step over a vermin creature

I thought giant animals and animal people had their own raws? As opposed to being randomly generated during worldgen. That's for Titans Demons Etc.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

They mostly just copy the base critter's raws, except for I think prefstring and raws pertaining to size and if applicable, grazing requirments.

On a note to that, giant moose are rediculously valuable, even for giant animals!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:36 am »

I thought giant animals and animal people had their own raws? As opposed to being randomly generated during worldgen. That's for Titans Demons Etc.

Yeah I was a bit wrong: sure newer person and giant versions of animals do have raws, it's just that their raws are generated from basic creatures' ones.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »

As the sun began to rise over the horizon kobolds gathered around Chungotlus’ clay hut.  The entire camp had been told of his condition and each family sent little gifts and treats for the ailing Elder.  Despite the protests of the shaman the children all gathered around Chungotlus’ bed and sat to wait for him to wake.

They sat waiting and watching the slow rise and fall of the Elder’s chest.  Then in a near rasp he murmered out, “Aaah... Chucheedrin Plaguepoison has blessed us with this silence.  This stillness to keep us from madness.  Thank you, blessed lady.”  The other kobolds scrunched up their noses and gave disbelieving looks, but who could be brave enough to tell Chungotlus the Eldest of the Elders that the goddess he praised was one worthy of fear, not adoration.

“But you have not come here for silence, have you pups?  You wish to hear of times long past.  We begin in the Spring of 126.

The way had been long and treacherous, but the seven kobolds had made it safely at last.  They had for themselves a list of what they would need to survive and thrive.  When Taz called a halt of the cart all gathered around for the all important calling of resources.

“Trees,” barked out Taz with a glance about at the others.

“Trees,” confirmed Sen softly as she looked up at the canopy under which they were situated.

“Good.  Water,” the leader yapped out for.

Splinter dipped his paw into the running stream and tasted the water before responding, “Water.”

“Good.  Meat?”

Drix peered about with his brow furrowed before pointing out into the distance.  “Meat.  Big meat.”  The other kobolds all furrowed their brows and squinted their eyes to try to make it out as well.  A lumbering giant otter plodded along the opposite bank of the river far upstream.

“Good.  That it?”

Azeaheru pointedly cleared her throat.

Taz and the other kobolds regarded her with confusion on their faces.  “Gods?” asked Kelras with a glance upwards.  “Yup.  Gods here.”

Azeaheru heaved a melodramatic sigh and pointed at the nearby cliff wall of clay.  “Clay.  Got clay.  Good.”

With this, it was decided that they would settle down here to create Nobletongues, a camp dedicated to creating feasts like the world had never seen before.  They immediately took apart the caravan and set to work.  Taz took his axe to many of the trees in the area as Azeaheru began constructing some beds to sleep in.

Sen set to work setting up the kitchen, butchery, and brewery with help from Splinter running materials for her.  He hopped about and capered in a near war dance as he helped to prepare things.  Sen watched him as she worked with a shy little smile on her face.  It is lucky for them that there were no Elders to the camp yet or the two would have found themselves married before a hut was built.

Corai carried lumber longer than any of the other kobolds could appearing mostly lost in his own thoughts.  When he passed Splinter doing an exceptionally ridiculous jump over a barrel however, he let his load thump to the ground and asked, “Splinter.  Warband?”

So surprised was Splinter by this that he nearly fell face first into the middle of the wooden kitchen.  He promptly pulled himself to his feet and made a sweeping motion with his hands.  “Warband... Blades of Mystery!”  The other kobolds thought this a fine name and it was so.  There was much camaraderie as nearly the entire camp wished to be a Blade of Mystery.

While this bantering and talking was going on, Sen and Aseaheru remained hard at work.  Sen began to gather berries to use for drinks as Aseaheru dug a deep hole that she insisted could be used for farming.  Sen and Aseaheru sat discussing the plants they could grow and the fine sweet drinks that would keep the whole camp warm during the winter that would surely be coming.

Taz returned slowly from his time chopping down trees, rubbing at the back of his neck with one paw.  “So tired,” he pointed out helpfully as he admired the large pile of wood that had been gathered.  “Too tired.”

Kelras snapped at him, “Come, Taz!  Night of Buseelus Boarbearded.  Drink.  Sing.  Dance.”

Taz looked at the Bone Priestess as though she had abruptly grown a second head and then walked to stick his head in a barrel.  After slurping down his fill, he sat down with his back against it and grumbled out, “No.  Taz drink.”

Corai walked over to the older kobold and promptly hoisted him back up onto his feet.  Amidst scuffling paws and quick snarls, the heftier kobold got one of Taz’s arms around his shoulder and pointed out, “Sing important.  Buseelus want sing.”  At this, Taz relented and the seven kobolds sang the sacred songs to thank Buseelus Boarbearded for the wondrous nature that they had been given.

Then Buseelus Boarbearded gave the kobolds a sign.  Amidst their singing and dancing, a large shape began to lumber over.  It rose from the river and plodded over on four legs, water dripping from it’s long mangy hair.

“Look!” called out Sen in a shocked and terrified voice.  “Otter!”

The Blades of Mystery promptly grabbed their weapons and turned, thinking that they would have an easy fight only to have to look up far above their own heads to see the thing’s face.  There was a hesitation and all turned to Splinter to see what to do.

“We hunt,” barked out Splinter with a broad grin forming on his face as he beat his sword against his buckler.  A roar of triumph came forward and the kobolds charged, slamming out a warbeat against their shields.  The otter stood on it’s hind legs for a moment blocking out the moon from view before it turned and fled chased by hoots and hollers.  Finally it sunk back into the river and the kobolds stopped chasing it.  There would be more time for hunting later.

The Blades returned to the camp and all began to trade stories and sing their own praises.  Even Corai joined in a little with some support from Kalras.  Soon the drink and the excitement began to pull them down towards sleep and the little ‘bolds slept under the gentle spring rain.

The Blades were the last to wake the following morning to sounds of industry and work.  Wooden cudgels beat against wooden gears, pulleys squeaked and planks moved.  They gathered about the pit that Azeaheru had dug where apparently Sen and Azeaheru were hard at work.  The five warriors sat quietly watching until the two climbed out all covered in mud and grime.

Splinter chuckled and turned his head a bit to peer at Sen before joking, “Sen is otter now?”

Sen covered her cheeks with her paws in embarrassment before tossing some of the mud at Splinter as Azeaheru explained.  “We make farm.  Look.  Pull this and tiiiny water get in.”

“Water good for farm,” explained Sen as she straightened out her fur as best as she could.

“You see,” barked Azeaheru as she pulled the lever to let a tiny trickle of water into the farm.

A flood of water promptly filled the farmland.  Sen and Azeaheru looked between each other and cleared their throats.  “It dry soon,” explained Sen.

The other kobolds were very impressed by this invention and drinks were passed all around.

Later that week, the construction of the first nesting building was finished.  Though it wasn’t as sturdy as clay, it would have to work for now as the rock they had intended to bring to make the kiln was simply too heavy to drag the whole way.  The kobolds settled into their new home and the rest of Spring went by pleasantly.

Spring was unfortunately REALLY uneventful.  No migrants yet (as predicted, I believe) but hopefully we will get some in Summer, I think!  In the meantime, we have most of the things we need for our industries and it's just a matter of getting to killing stuff!  Woooo!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:11:57 pm by CaptainKobold »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

Stupid otter.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21